Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
0 Kudos

Horror Books 08-09

Hello Explorers.  I would like to review the horror books from 2008 into 2009, in which keeps me very busy, in which my bookshelf cannot hold anymore :smileyhappy:.  But here are a few must have horror books for this next season.  I know most of you have these anyway, but if not, there's nothing wrong with reviewing :smileyhappy:.  So let's review.

Just After Sunset, a collection of thrilling short stories that will put chills all over your body, Exposed World-, a spiritual horror about seeing people in dark places in an afterlife after they die, Dark Tower : The Long Road Home, part of a series of books that will keep you screaming till the end, Coraline, a girl moves into an old house and finds a door leading to a world that mimics her own in very disturbing ways, The Host, an alien species takes over human bodies and minds, Unspoken, six teens escape from a oppressive religious cult, and Wake, about a girl who is unwillingly sucked into nightmares that are not her own.

Frequent Contributor
SandraEBarker
0 Kudos

Re: Horror Books 08-09

Which one should we review first? :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
0 Kudos

'The Host' is my absolute favorite Sandra!  Continually makes me shiver!
Frequent Contributor
CAshkova
0 Kudos

The horror books that I have read recently are Wake, Exposed World, and Coraline.  I'm yet to get to the others...and the other books that are hanging off of my book shelf and falling onto the floor...:smileyhappy: *giggles*
The one and only book worm :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
0 Kudos

CAshkova, Coraline was a scary, good one...wasn't it?  :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
CAshkova
0 Kudos

Oh yes, I agree! 

"...Coraline finds the others' souls and escapes to the other world,when the other mother gives her a key to a trap door Coraline finds her other father in a gooey form, her other father then warns Coraline that whatever he does to try to hurt her hes being forced by the other mother. forcing the door closed on the Other Mother and severing her hand. Back in her flat, Coraline finds her parents safe and sound..." :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
WestchesterRFranks
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

How was Wake and Exposed World?  I have been reading horror fiction lately.  These two look exceptionally good.  ...

Message Edited by WestchesterRFranks on 02-26-2009 10:31 PM
Frequent Contributor
CAshkova
0 Kudos

Westchester, it all depends on what you like and what you're looking for.  They were all good to me! :smileyhappy:  In this case, if you like dream horror, go with Wake, if you like afterlife, afterdeath supernatural horror, go with Exposed World.  If you like horror period, go with Coraline!  :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
0 Kudos

Or you can just start with short stories, like the stephen king short stories.  I love those.
Frequent Contributor
WestchesterRFranks
0 Kudos

Thanks guys!  I did read Coraline by the way.  I guess i'm just looking for more.

Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
0 Kudos

When does the Coraline movie come out by the way?
Frequent Contributor
SandraEBarker
0 Kudos

It should have already come out.  Does anyone know of any other good new horror books...good to read for this year?
Frequent Contributor
hayleylynnv
0 Kudos

READ the HOST its amazing!!!! i thought it got really good after the first couple chapters!! its defff worth the money!!

We are young
We have heart
Born in this world as it all falls apart
We are strong
We don't belong
~Hollywood Undead~
Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hayley, the host is my favorite of all favorites.  Stephenie Meyer  is the greatest! 

Feel free to share more horror books for the horror book shelf for 2009.  I have a whole lot more books in other genres, but really not that many in spiritual horror.   I have my fair share, but not too many.  :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by MrsWaki on 02-27-2009 09:36 PM
Frequent Contributor
hayleylynnv
0 Kudos

MrsWaki wrote:

Hayley, the host is my favorite of all favorites.  Stephenie Meyer  is the greatest! 

Feel free to share more horror books for the horror book shelf for 2009.  I have a whole lot more books in other genres, but really not that many in spiritual horror.   I have my fair share, but not too many.  :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by MrsWaki on 02-27-2009 09:36 PM

okay!! i wil and im open to any kind of books ! haha im running low so i kinda need some new good ones!! could you tell me some of your favorites? that would be amazing and ill keep you posted on my horror books!!
We are young
We have heart
We are strong
We don't belong
~Hollywood Undead~
Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
0 Kudos

Besides 'The Host' of course, Exposed World and Wake were exceptionally good.  I would get those two as soon as you can if you're into good, new supernatural horror! 

Hayley, I would also recommend Deadly Gift by Heather Graham, Blood Brothers by Nora Roberts, and Cell by Stephen King. 

If you know of any others, especially new horror books!  ... let us know ! !   :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
WestchesterRFranks
0 Kudos

You guys have been great.  Thanks again for bringing into light some horror books.  Very much needed reading.
Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
0 Kudos

My pleasure Mr. Franks.  Tell us what your favorite horror book is and if you find any new ones for 2009, let us know right away! :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Patty_Champion
0 Kudos

The absolute best horror book I've ever read is "Summer of night" by Dan Simmons. The Sequel "A winter haunting" was good too.

"Summer of night" is good because it has a lot of suspense and really builds up the scare. The kind of scare that makes you not want to hang your feet over the bed in fear of something grabbing you!:smileysurprised:

This book was recommended to me and I recommend to anyone who asks for a good horror story.

Patty
Frequent Contributor
SandraEBarker
0 Kudos

Yes Patty!  I agree!

Sandra