Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
WestchesterRFranks
0 Kudos

Re: Horror Books 08-09

MrsWaki, your list is enough to keep anyone that is into horror books engaged for 2009.  I think that the horror book list you gave is way too good for 2009 and will keep me busy!  I probably won't look for any new books until I'm done with the seven that you suggested.  Happy Horror Book Reading!  :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
0 Kudos

Yes :smileyhappy:, happy horror book reading to you too!

Does anyone else have good, scary horror book suggestions and bookshelf musts for this year?

Frequent Contributor
CAshkova
0 Kudos

That's actually a very good horror book reading list Mrs. Waki.  I'm lovin' it! 
The one and only book worm :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
0 Kudos

Phantoms is a good ghost story written by Dean Koontz.  I loved the concept of a shapeshifter.  The chameleon creature was able to perfectly mimic other creatures, which made the story so great.
Frequent Contributor
SandraEBarker
0 Kudos

Shapeshifters.  Yes.  Isn't that scary how they can become so reminiscent of the originals.
Frequent Contributor
WestchesterRFranks
0 Kudos

Shapeshifting is a common theme in mythology and folklore, as well as in science fiction and fantasy. In its broadest sense, it is a metamorphosis (change in the physical form or shape) of a person or animal. Shapeshifting involves physical changes such as alterations of age, gender, race, or general appearance or changes between human form and that of an animal (therianthropy), plant, or inanimate object.  :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
SandraEBarker
0 Kudos

What I love about shapeshifting is that it's used so well to become free from a physical bondage.  The being that is shapeshifting is mostly supernatural of course and should have say as to when to change shapes...yes, mostly to free yourself! ... especially from a haunted house for example.
BN Editor
Bill_T
0 Kudos

I'm in the middle of one of the creepiest (and most delightful) books I've read in years -- it won't be published in the U.S. until June, but it'll make a perfectly chilling book for summer downtime: 

White is for Witching 

Similarly chilling/creepy are the three tales in Michel Faber's collection

The Courage Consort 

Wordsmith
Deltadawn
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Stephen King's Duma Key and Lisey's Story - both excellent, chilling, suspense filled stories written by a master!

Message Edited by Deltadawn on 03-16-2009 07:48 PM
Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yes, I do agree DeltaDawn.  Duma Key as a great chilling story.  Steven King's 54th published novel.

The story begins shortly after a Minneapolis construction company owner named Edgar Freemantle barely survives a horrific on-site accident where his truck was struck and crushed by a runaway crane. Though he has survived, Freemantle's right arm is amputated, and severe injuries to his head cause Edgar to have problems with speech, vision, and memory. Because of the excruciating pain resulting from the accident and the subsequent recovery, Edgar also has violent mood swings and...

Message Edited by MrsWaki on 03-17-2009 10:42 PM
Inspired Contributor
Bearsstar
0 Kudos

I have three books that I consider horror books, that I liked.  Lost Souls by Lisa Jackson; Blood Dreams by Kay Hooper and Deadly Dose by Amanda Lamb I also likes Murder Most Holy by Mike Manno, but it was definitely different from what I expected.  I also wanted to say thanks to everyone for their books because now I have another list of books that I have to get, much to my childrens dismay.  All they will say is "MOTHER, you already have tooooooooo many books now that you probably won't get ead lol"  and I reply, NEVER.  Cause a house without books is not a home.  Besides, they give my cats lots and lots of places to lay.:smileyvery-happy: 
Jeanne G aka Bearsstar
Frequent Contributor
CAshkova
0 Kudos

How was Lost Souls Bearsstar?  Should I add that one to my bookshelf rather quickly?  :smileyhappy:
The one and only book worm :smileyhappy:
Inspired Contributor
Bearsstar
0 Kudos

I've enjoyed reading it so far, It's a dark and disturbing story, at least I think so.  For me, where books are concerned, I would say yes to adding it quickly.  But that's why I own more books than anything else lol. 
Jeanne G aka Bearsstar
Frequent Contributor
SandraEBarker
0 Kudos

More for that book case.  And yes bearsstar, Lost Souls :smileyhappy:

• Best Ghost stories of Algernon Blackwood
  • The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
  • Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury
  • Lost Souls by Poppy Z. Brite
  • The Hungry Moon by Ramsey Campbell
  • The Between by Tananarive Due
  • Darklands by Dennis Etchison
  • Raven by Charles L Grant
  • Dead in the Water by Nancy Holder
  • Exposed World by Jerome Christopher King
  • Frequent Contributor
    MrsWaki
    0 Kudos

Are we talking about the 'Lost Souls' by Poppy Z. Brite or Lisa Jackson.  They're two different books you know.  :smileywink:
    Reader
    monkeygirl7269
    0 Kudos

Re: Lost Souls

I was referring to Lisa Jackson's book
    Frequent Contributor
    MrsWaki
    0 Kudos

Re: Lost Souls

Ah, just making sure :smileyhappy:
    Frequent Contributor
    MrsWaki
    0 Kudos

Sandra, did you have a preference between the two 'lost souls' books?  Which one did you enjoy more?  ... i'm assuming you've read both.
    Distinguished Bibliophile
    TiggerBear
    0 Kudos

MrsWaki wrote:
    Sandra, did you have a preference between the two 'lost souls' books?  Which one did you enjoy more?  ... i'm assuming you've read both.

Well I have. Much prefer Brite's.

Frequent Contributor
    MrsWaki
    0 Kudos

Interesting TiggerBear.  Why is that?