Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Introduce yourself

Say hello to everyone.
New User
marquezreader
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce yourself

hello to all ... what a great topic for discussion.
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

ande wrote:
Say hello to everyone.

Hi everyone. I am a 58 year old mother of 3 and former teacher who is enrolled in a Great Books Program at a university. It has been a dream of mine to read these books and it's been 1 l/2 years now of making my dream come true.

I'd love to discuss the books with any like-minded people out there. This quarter we're reading The Odyssey and The Republic. I'd read excerpts of both over the years but this is the first time I'm going straight through.

Hope to hear from you soon!
Frequent Contributor
karinlib
0 Kudos

Hi all,

My name is Karin, and I am a bibliophile. I am looking forward to reading everyone's book suggestions.

Thanks,

Karin
Frequent Contributor
karinlib
0 Kudos

Timbuktu1 wrote:

ande wrote:
Say hello to everyone.

Hi everyone. I am a 58 year old mother of 3 and former teacher who is enrolled in a Great Books Program at a university. It has been a dream of mine to read these books and it's been 1 l/2 years now of making my dream come true.

I'd love to discuss the books with any like-minded people out there. This quarter we're reading The Odyssey and The Republic. I'd read excerpts of both over the years but this is the first time I'm going straight through.

Hope to hear from you soon!

I have to the Great Books at home. It is wonderful that you are taking the opportunity to read the books. My favorite one by far is Gulliver's Travels, by Swift.

Karin
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

Good to hear from you. I read Gulliver's Travels in college, 40 years ago! Reading these works at this age... they're entirely different. I do remember enjoy Gulliver a lot. Maybe I'll get a chance to re-read it soon.
New User
Cvr2Cvr
0 Kudos

Hello!

I am a 41 year old working mom of two young sons (3 and 8) who spends most spare moments reading as much as possible. I started a ladies book club about 5 years ago and we have really grown as readers and friends. I am hoping this discussion group can complement my book club reading and give me ideas for suggestions to the group. Looking forward to joining in...thanks for including me!
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Greetings and welcome to Book Explorers!

We've been compiling a quite the list, as you can see.

Ande
New User
LoracSer
0 Kudos

Hello, my name is Carol and I live in New Jersey. I love to read, so much so that I saved $180 with my B&N membership last year. That means I spent..... I just love to read. I am looking forward to discussing what I read with the members here, I am just not sure exactly where to start. I have been investigating the site, to figure things out, when I came upon this thread to introduce myself. I guess you should all know that, as much as I read, my spelling and punctuation are horrible. You will have to get used to that, my boss tells me I am comma crazy. Well I will go back to my investigating, I hope to speak with many of you in the future.
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Hello, and welcome to Book Explorers!

As you can tell if you've wandered about this club we talk about all things books: buying them, recommending them, spying on people reading them, putting them down, just reading them. Plus, I often urge Explorers to have a look at the books recommended by the Literary Ventures Fund, the foundation of which I am the editorial director.

Happy reading and talking about reading.
Ande
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

I can relate to how you feel about having "saved" so much money. Sometimes I wonder if Barnes and Noble realizes that the "savings" figure might actually discourage future buying! I know it has for me!
New User
ctobeyk
0 Kudos

Hi, I am delighted to discover like minded people who love to discover new books and do not limit the genre as long as the books are well written. Now, where do you keep your "read it" and "skip it" lists? I just finished reading Attonement and having not rseen the movie, loved it. You must read it to the last page to fully appreciate it. I cannot imagine that the movie will do it justice. I have picked up a few of his books and found them not so interesting.
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

And we are delighted that you found us. Welcome to Book Explorers!

You are right -- we are a free-flowing, non-judgemental community of people who love books and all things books.

If you go to my #1 blog entry you will see the JUST READ IT LIST. 
The JUST PUT IT DOWN LIST is in the #2 blog entry.

Do you find these lists helpful? There's always room for friendly debate.

Thanks for joining us.

Ande 
New User
pagedove
0 Kudos

Hello, I'm a 47 year old mother of 3 wonderful daughters (26,20, and 14) I live to read and I read to live. I am an aspiring writer and now that my children are fairly grown and on their own I spend much more time at pastimes such as this and also on my writing. I live in New Jersey and have my BA in creative writing and literature. I have been published in a local magazine and currently I enter competitions in my literary magazines with short stories. Nothing yet, but I've read so many stories about all the rejections that our most beloved authors have recieved that I will not be discouraged. Nice to meet you all, and I am looking forward to our future discussions. PS-ok I do have to work and so I run a construction company with my husband. We've been in the business for 25 years but this is the first time I have committed to it on a full-time basis. So far so good!
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Welcome! You are officially a Book Explorer now.

Thanks for your many thoughts and various posts today. You just jumped right in and I hope that encourages all of you on the sidelines who are reading the posts to join in. There's no right way or wrong way to comment and if it makes you feel any better I never did anything like this until B&N signed me up to blog and trailboss this board.

Don't be shy. It's lots of fun. You can share your deepest insights or simply tell us what that guy next to you on the bus is reading (Book Snoop).

Join us!

Ande
Contributor
dnicholl
0 Kudos

Hey ya'll,

Texas librarian here, always looking for biblioholics like myself to discuss and share thoughts about books and reading. I look forward to the discussions.

DLN
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Hey to you, too! And welcome to Book Explorers. Would you tell us about your library and a bit about being a librarian?

Ande
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

hi everyone! im 21 years old and i like a bit of everything. a bit of reading, a bit of art, a bit of writing, a bit of this and that. i absolutely love meeting new people and of course hearing other people's thoughts on life, love, etc. im all about good conversation. ;p
i hail from the Harry Potter Book Club.
Call me MrsRw.
and id love to get to know you all.
have a great day everyone.

o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

MrsRw:

Welcome to Book Explorers! Thanks for joining us.

Ande
Contributor
psychodragon
0 Kudos

Hi everyone.  I'm a 24 year old bibliophile with too little time and so many books to read.  I look forward to the discussion.
Trust me, it will happen when the turtles eating ice cream storm the beaches of Iowa under the cover of dead sheep powered pigeon spitting canons while those overgrown excuses for telephone poles sit around a square table toasting the invention of self replicating soap.