Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce yourself

Welcome to Book Explorers, Vicki. So glad you found us. If you spend a little time looking at the discussion threads on this board you will find more than enough recommendations to keep you reading wonderful books for a long time. Check out the JUST READ IT LIST that Book Explorers have compiled and continue to add to.

Hope you'll visit often.

Ande
New User
Avidreader55
0 Kudos

Hello, I am a 57 year young woman who loves to read new books by "not the same ole' authors that are always dominating the Bestsellers list. Their are a few I like to read such as John Grisham, but I have enjoyed exploring new authors such as Sarah Addison Allen, Garden Spells and Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale.

I am reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society and enjoying the series of letters.

I would like suggestions of other new authors that would have the appeal of charm and wit such as the books I have read.

Contributor
dege
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm also new to the club. I saw in your previous post Ande, that the Historian is on your list to read. I just finished the novel and enjoyed it very much. It took my by surprise as it didn't sound like the type of story that would grab my attention and hold it!
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Thanks for dropping in, Dege, and also thanks to anyone else who has just discovered Book Explorers. And since you are new, Dege, you have been spared reading about my ongoing frustration over the growing piles and shelves of books I really want to read. I have to read professionally and there are times when I have to read a lot of not-very-good stuff, which is a really painful exercise. The only remedy is letting my brain air out for a few days by not reading anything but newspapers and magazines. So I am forever falling behind on non-work reading for pleasure.
If you stick around long enough -- and I hope you will -- you'll hear this theme again. 
Ande
Message Edited by ande on 08-04-2008 10:29 PM
New User
tammyb3
0 Kudos

hi

Hello everyone
Contributor
zedd
0 Kudos

Re: hi

[ Edited ]

Hey everyone. I am new to these boards as well and look forward to conversation and insight from everyone here! I have been a bookseller for 10 years which consistently humbles me (or should I say overwhelms me) as I leave work with 10 new books that I want to read!

Message Edited by zedd on 08-01-2008 06:59 PM
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Welcome to Book Explorers, Zedd. And a round of applause because you are a bookseller -- an honorable calling! What part of the country are you in and what are your customers buying these days?

Ande
Frequent Contributor
iloveloveloveedward
0 Kudos

hi, im new at this room.
**DLN**
Contributor
zedd
0 Kudos

I live in New Jersey.  Well, if I can see past the sea of Stephanie Meyerites I have been able to handsell The Story of Edgar Sawtelle fairly successfully.  The new David Sedaris has done well but the majority of sales are being taken by the Last Lecture and current affair titles.

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I find whatever it is that gets people to buy a particular book completely fascinating. Thanks for the report.
Ande
Message Edited by ande on 08-04-2008 10:25 AM
Frequent Contributor
iloveloveloveedward
0 Kudos

im a Stephanie Meyerites
**DLN**
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Normally when I am reading I rotate 2 or 3 books at the same time because boredom often overcomes me.

There is an almost continental divide between those who keep several books going at once (I admit to being in that camp) and those who read one at a time (my wife).  

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Everyman wrote:

Normally when I am reading I rotate 2 or 3 books at the same time because boredom often overcomes me.

There is an almost continental divide between those who keep several books going at once (I admit to being in that camp) and those who read one at a time (my wife).

Books are like moods. Some times you feel like one book, sometimes another. And sometimes you read the whole thing in one sitting.

Message Edited by TiggerBear on 08-05-2008 11:46 PM
Contributor
Teapharm03
0 Kudos

Hi everyone.....can't wait to begin our book.....
Teapharmo3
Reader
Literature3
0 Kudos

Hello, my name is Tab,I'm  17 years old and I'm also new to this amazing club! I love reading and writing so I thought "why not barnes and nobles?!". I mean i shop here enough.

Everyone is right, the book "Feather Man" is so interesting. I would call it inspiring, not because of the story, but the text. Rhyll Mcmaster is truely a master at poems!

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Hi Tab:

Welcome to Book Explorers -- so glad you found us. You're 17? I think you'll add a terrific perspective to the upcoming discussion of Feather Man.
Ande
Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

I am new to this bookclub as well. I have been unable to find a local bookclub to meet with and am looking forward to spending time with all of you.

Like Everyman I often read several books at once. At the moment I am in between books---trying to decide what I want to immerse myself in. I love the classics as well as contemporary novels. In September I will be rereading books that I will be working with an so slow down a little.

Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought
william hazlitt
Reader
Literature3
0 Kudos

Ande:

Thank you, books are my life. I agree I will bring a new perspective to this discussion. I ,like many different people, have a perspective not of my age. Hope this discussion is interesting.

- Tab

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I've got to love somebody else who reads Hazlitt!  There are so few of us in this world.  Few, but of the highest quality!   :smileytongue:

debbaker wrote:

I am new to this bookclub as well. I have been unable to find a local bookclub to meet with and am looking forward to spending time with all of you.

Like Everyman I often read several books at once. At the moment I am in between books---trying to decide what I want to immerse myself in. I love the classics as well as contemporary novels. In September I will be rereading books that I will be working with an so slow down a little.

0 Kudos

Hello, my name is Laura, but you can me Lolly.  I am a 57 year old woman, Michigan born and raised, transplanted in Chicago.  Boy, talk about your culture shock.  Can you believe we didn't lock any doors.  And my first gas station visit here, "What do you mean I have to pay BEFORE I pump?!!" However, the literary resources here by comparison are fantastic. Bookstores everywhere!! Yay! .... Ok, I've calmed down now. Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading, discussing and getting to know my fellow explorers. TTFN