Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
moeh
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce yourself

Hi, Lolly. I was born and raised in Chicago and now transplanted to Montana. So I know what you mean. Welcome. The cultural happenings in Chicago are fantastic. I now need to drive for 2 hours to a B&N. But I have an EReader now. Talk about instant gratification!.. Look forward to hearing your discussions.
Contributor
LollySirk
0 Kudos

Greetings ~  I was previously employed by a transportation company where I delivered vehicles around the country for various companies.  One of my first runs was to Missoula, MT.  It was in the fall, I fell in love with it and didn't want to leave.  You're very lucky.
Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

Absolutely! :smileytongue:

Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought
william hazlitt
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Introduce yourself

Say hello. Tell us who you are.
T1
Reader 2
T1
0 Kudos

Hello Book Explorers!

I would like to tell you about  a book entitled , "THE BARBED WIRE FENCE"  by Tina Peters.  This crux of this writing concerns how a devout Christian woman becomes emotionally entangled with her same sex therapist.  Both women are ultimately forced to reassess their characters, both ethically and professionally.  I revealed far more detail about this book in a previous blog which I spent over an hour composing.  But when I pushed submit, it apparently went anywhere else but here.  So, for now, I can only recommend that you read the book I've mentioned here.  You'll surely find that it's worth all the hoopla I didn't get to relay in this blog!!  This book is available online through this book store, and a few others.  Just type in the title and the author in the upper right corner of your computer screen and read all about where you can find this worthwhile read.

God Bless,

T1

T1
Reader 2
T1
0 Kudos

Hi,

My name is Tina. I'm a 54 year old grandmother.  My life hasn't at all been an easy one, so far.  But I suppose a lot of people can say the same thing.  I'm from a family of nine; born to a sharecropper's daughter who never made more than $65 a week in her entire 93 years of life.  Mother died in 2005.  And though I was there for her in that nursing home, it saddened me that I was never able to buy that Lincoln Continental and ride her in it the way she'd always wanted.  Sadly, the funeral hearse was as close as she came to having that happen.   

For most of my life I've dreamth of just having a place of my own with frilly curtains, flowered wallpaper and an actual dining room with a table and chairs and everything; a place where I can gather with my family on Sundays and holidays and just be able to be there for my kids when they have a need such a temporary roof over their heads and such.  Well, I don't have any of that stuff and my physical liabilities make me question whether or not I'll live to have any of it. 

Nevertheless, since I was a little girl winning spelling bees and good writer awards, I have wanted to write a book. For the longest while I didn't have any clarity about what my story would entail.  However, in 1996, I began to write about how my early years and how home life and school experiences affected the kind of adult I became.  And, as time went by, I acquired absolute clarity concerning who I was and the message I wanted to relay in my writings. And that message is, that no matter who you are or what you've gone through or are experiencing, there is always hope for a better day.  Through my story I relay how joy came in the morning, after what seemed a never ending life of tears and conflict.

Anyhow, my book, "THE BARBED WIRE FENCE", was written to appeal to a wide range of audiences.  For this reason, it may seem similar to other testimonials concerning sexuality, alcoholism and physical abuse.  But for this Christian woman's humorous, though dramatic, details of confused and eventually chastising issues with her same sex therapist, many readers would likely want to recommend this book to any interested person over the age of fifteen.   Thanks for listening.

Tina Peters

Author----THE BARBED WIRE FENCE, PUBLISHED BY XULON PRESS, xulonpress.com 

Frequent Contributor
iloveloveloveedward
0 Kudos

hello! im from PA, USA. im going 2 9th grade soon. and im a non-stop reader. and im here on this site 24/7. i mostly go 2 teen reads room. but now im exploring other rooms.
**DLN**
Frequent Contributor
martini72
0 Kudos

Hello Readers!!

My name is Nicole, I am 35 and I love books.. I am very happy to be taking part in the discussion of Feather Man. I have received my copy and I am going to start it tonight;

Happy Reading!!! 

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Tell us what you are reading.
Ande
Frequent Contributor
iloveloveloveedward
0 Kudos

im rereading the twilight series cuz i STILL dont hav breaking dawn, and it killing me every minute.  then after breaking dawn, im going 2 read Footfree Fancyloose by Elizabeth Craft and Sarah Fain, then finiah reading the clique summer collection, then the rest of my booklist.

**DLN**
New User
xWolvenXFleecex
0 Kudos

Hi! I'm new here and I'm saying hi from California! :smileyhappy:

I can haz a cheezburgr?
Contributor
therapist
0 Kudos

Hi xWolvenX! How is life in CA? Are you reading anything exciting right now?

I'm in IN and am finally to the middle section of Feather Man. I'm also in the middle of Girl, Interrupted and am on my way to the library today to have some other books on hand. 

It's good to "meet" you. 

0 Kudos

Hello to all of you,

I am delighted to have the opportunity to read this book. It is really great, a hard subject, but I feel necessary to read and this author makes it easy by having a gift for story telling. I have been a long time member in the Barnes and Noble bookclubs and the old university but havent read too many in the explorers club. I have viewed many discussions though, and enjoyed the club.

Frequent Contributor
Braguine
0 Kudos

I'm not sure if I have posted here before. I guess it is better to introduce oneself twice rather than not.

It is good to see people interested in books. I remember as a kid having the ambition to read a WHOLE book without pictures. I remember how proud I was when I did finish a rather thick book about pioneers trekking across America. It was not only an interesting read but it also taught me a bit of geography. Learning by having fun led me to historical fiction and from there there was no stopping me.

Recently I had my first book published. A spy story. I'm rather pleased with the comments made by a former CIA Principal Spokesman:

I’ve known Alexey for many years and am well aware that he knows his way around many of the more remote and exotic locales.  I found his Kingmaker an extraordinarily fast-paced and suspenseful read especially when you realize this is his first time out.  Trager establishes a strong enough presence to merit a sequel ideally with a few of the truly exotic characters Alexey introduces in this story.  Alexey has a good feel for the telling one-liner and Trager’s out-of-the-box getaways put Indiana Jones to shame.  I’m looking forward to the next one.

(Signed ) Peter earnest.

Alexey Braguine, author of Kingmaker
Frequent Contributor
Braguine
0 Kudos

Dear Ande,

As a struggling author, I really appreciate B&N.com's Book Clubs and its friendly attitude toward new authors. Newspaper reviewers convert our advance readers copies to mulch. Trying to get signings in brick and mortar stores is a hard fight.

I accidentaly stumbled into the Book Clubs section and was amazed to find the Read my Book board. After posting there I saw the ranking of my book to begin creeping into the lower numbers. The other day, I stumbled into another discovery. If I clicked on the book cover, there is another page for more info on the book (this shows what sort of an internet klutz I am). Then I found a link where to send the book info. B&N responded right away and the book info appeared shortly after.

I want to thank you and B&N.com for being such terrific hosts to us invisible writers. And particular thanks to the readers who have purchased the book.

Frequent Contributor
jaimi1
0 Kudos

Hi

I am jaimi. I love books and can buy them at the drop of a hat.  In fact my house is overflowing. But I love to read and it is a great passion.

I just read The Road by Cormac McCarthy. It was so simple yet profound.  It made me feel that we as a human race need to hold on to what we have that is so dear not only for us but for our future generations.

Frequent Contributor
Braguine
0 Kudos

Good to meet you Jaimi!

Simple writing can be very engaging. No reason for it not to also have depth. Hemingway is a good example.

Frequent Contributor
jaimi1
0 Kudos

I have read only one book by Hemingway and that was the Old Man and the Sea. I feel illiterate writing that. But there are so many great books out there to read. It is hard to get to them. I guess I am more of a contemporary reader, but I do like the classics as well. They are more challenging. Have you ever read Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad? I have started that book three times and have never finished it. Someday I will though. Jaimi
Frequent Contributor
Braguine
0 Kudos

Yes! I've read Lord Jim wrapped in a sarong during S.E. Asia's smoky season. Under the circumstances, the mood and pathos portrayed by Conrad was a bit too real. He is one of my favorite authors.

Brag

Contributor
moxette
0 Kudos

Hello,

This is my first bookclub and I am looking forward to discussing the book.  I am 45 and finishing my bachelor's of science.