New User
LvnEvryMin
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce yourself

Hi everyone!  I just joined today and am so excited that I found this board.  I am 38 with two teenage boys.  One has already graduated high school and the other is a senior this year.  I am an RN and currently in graduate school.  I have always loved to read and have a list of at least 100 books on my "to be read" list.

I used to only read mystery/suspense, but in the last year or so I have ventured out to areas that I have really enjoyed...  still can't get into sci-fi or vampires though.....

Glad to have found this site and I look forward to adding many more books to my list!

"A mind is like a parachute, It only functions when it is open."
Frequent Contributor
Braguine
0 Kudos

Hi Moxette and LynEvryMin!

Nice to see new fearless explorers here :smileyhappy:

Alexey Braguine, author of Kingmaker
Contributor
LollySirk
0 Kudos

Hi, my name is Laura and I live in Chicago. As with most of you, I look forward to reading with you and discussing this interesting book. I really appreciate this opportunity and hope I can contribute something of merit to the discussions. 
Frequent Contributor
jaimi1
0 Kudos

What book are we talking about? Please let me know. I am clueless.

Thanks,

Jaimi

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,085
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Jaimi,

The Book Explorers group is discussing Feather Man by the Australian poet Rhyll McMaster.  Feather Man was released in the US September 1, although many of us signed up to get an advance copy through the Literary Ventures Fund.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Reader
sevanne
0 Kudos

I am a third shift worker who rediscovered reading with a job where I basically babysit an answering service, and can play on the computer and read all night.  I am in face to face book discussions monthly, and love the challenge of having to read something that is picked out for me.  I read at least 2 books a week, and love all literary fiction and nonfiction. I am currently reading  Accordian Crimes, by E Annie Proulx,  and love it, as I do all her books.
Frequent Contributor
jaimi1
0 Kudos

So what did you like about Lord Jim and which of Joseph Conrad's novels did you like best?

Jaimie

Frequent Contributor
jaimi1
0 Kudos

I only read one of E. Annie Proulx's novels and that was The Shipping News. What do you like about her literary works?
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Welcome to all new Book Explorers. What are we all about? We're generalists and this a judgement-free zone. We all love introducing/getting introduced to wonderful reads and wonderful authors. Doesn't matter if the books are weighty tomes or light-as-a-feather tales. No doubt you will find a like-minded person at Book Explorers.

Occasionally I do a book giveaway (of a book that the Literary Ventures Fund is supporting -- I'm the editorial director) and we discuss it.

As for Annie Proulx. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE her books. One of my all-time favorites is That Old Ace in the Hole. I read one of her short stories that ran recently in the New Yorker. It whet my appetite for her new collection.
Visit often and post, post, post.

Ande

Contributor
LollySirk
0 Kudos

Hi, Sevanne. Your job sounds just like the one I had in the '70s.  I also had a televison available.  You don't happen to work in St. Joseph, Michigan do you?  I loved that job. Did a lot of my college homework there.

Lolly

Frequent Contributor
VictoriousMary
0 Kudos

Hello to one and all!  My name is Mary and I currently live in New Mexico.  I just turned 50 and though everyone around me thinks that is cause for celebration, I still am thinking it is just time to pause - and maybe read another good book. 

Because I have read so many, I am finding them harder rather than easier to find which is why I looked for and found this site.  Looking forward to finding some good selections.

Thanks B & N for the opportunity and the ideas.

By the way, dear moderator of this site, I have been reading posts and you mention lists - where do I find such lists?  Thanks.

Victorious Mary
Frequent Contributor
Braguine
0 Kudos

Hello Mary!

Welcome to the club and the 50 + crowd. Life can be good after the half century mark. Members and moderators come up with great suggestion. What type of book do you like?

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Hi Mary:
Check out the Book Explorers' JUST READ IT LIST. I bet you'll find something that appeals. Welcome to the club -- drop by often!

Ande

VictoriousMary wrote:

Hello to one and all!  My name is Mary and I currently live in New Mexico.  I just turned 50 and though everyone around me thinks that is cause for celebration, I still am thinking it is just time to pause - and maybe read another good book. 

Because I have read so many, I am finding them harder rather than easier to find which is why I looked for and found this site.  Looking forward to finding some good selections.

Thanks B & N for the opportunity and the ideas.

By the way, dear moderator of this site, I have been reading posts and you mention lists - where do I find such lists?  Thanks.

Frequent Contributor
VictoriousMary
0 Kudos

Dear Alexey,

Wow!  A real live author actually writing to me.  I am honored.

I like to read historical fiction that is not written like a documentary and does not read like a battle field.  History really is more than war stories.  I noticed that this book club does not have such a section.

I also like science fiction and fantasy.  I like it for the philosophy side of the story.  They give me something to think about for a while and a sense of hope. 

I think I am among the original Star Trek group though I like all of the series.  I used to read all of those books but then got into other kinds of books and authors.  I do not like vampire stuff or the stress on the evil one's realm but ...  What can I say the dark side sells I suppose.

I have not read your books.  You can tell me about them.  I love books with meat that do not end once I begin to like, love, or hate a character if you know what I mean. 

Mary

Victorious Mary
Frequent Contributor
VictoriousMary
0 Kudos

To the Author of Kingmaker

Dear Alexey Braguine, author of Kingmaker,

I looked up what your brief bio says about you as author of Kingmaker.  My goodness, you have had much adventure in your life.  I have a few friends who are native to Africa - excuse the spelling but Eratraia, Ethiopia, and Zimbabwa as close as I can figure are the names of their assignments at the moment.  They run schools or are teachers.  We cannot stay in close contact because of the civil wars that tend to break out and because of the technology and poverty situations.  They do not either have computers or continuous electricity or email or a combination of the above. 

But that is not why I am writing to you, and I do hope you will answer.  I want to know why you only wrote one book so far.  You must have more to give us than that.  You have two keys - imagination and experience.  Please, share your stories. 

I just thought of your third key.  You have a sense of people and a sensitivity.  Don't be shy.  You even wrote to someone like me.

Victorious Mary
Frequent Contributor
Braguine
0 Kudos

Re: To the Author of Kingmaker

Dear Mary,

They let anyone in here, including authors (haha). I like to have contact with readers as they are the real world.  I also like historical fiction as long as it is by a reliable author who provides an accurate setting. As to my work, I have one novel out. It is an espionage thriller, which revolves around the question: What would happen to an intelligence officer who refused to doctor up a report to suit a political agenda.

You can find a synopsis and a small review by clicking:

Barnes & Noble.com - Book Search: Kingmaker Braguine

More reviews are available on Amazon.

I'm sure you will find the book club a satisfying experience.

Frequent Contributor
Braguine
0 Kudos

Hi Mary,

Oops, I didn't see your second posting.

Kingmaker is my debut novel, I have a couple more in the works. It took me a good ten years of serious writing to finally get accepted by a publisher. If I was to bundle all the rejection slips, I could use them as a door stop.

Your African friends don't live in the happiest of places.

I have some sample chapters and other info on my webbie.

Novels of Suspense by Braguine | Home of adventure, skulduggery, espionage, deceit

Besties

Brag

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Message Edited by vivico1 on 09-15-2008 02:23 PM
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Vivian:

I may have confused matters by having a general "Introduce yourself" thread for all Book Explorers and a separate one (clearly labeled) for specific discussion participants.

That said, I can't tell you how many times I have moved a plug for a book by an author out of Book Explorers into a more appropriate board. I kept Braguine's in Book Explorers because it struck me as more conversational than the usual "I wrote this book, please read it" post. A judgement call, but that's my job as the moderator :smileywink:

Thanks for protecting our Book Explorers turf!

Ande

vivico1 wrote:

It always make me raise one eyebrow and never ceases to amaze me when one "author" will post links to their book and talk about and offer it up, on another authors bookclub rather than in a community room! Just got to shake the head lol and pass the links by out of courtesy's sake lol. Now, this is my first time in the Book Explorers tho, so if I am wrong and this introduction place is for any book not just The Feather Man, than I apologize. I just know when I see a bookclub for one author, the intro page is for people in that club, discussing that book to say hi. Interesting either way.

Braguine wrote:

Hi Mary,

Oops, I didn't see your second posting.

Kingmaker is my debut novel, I have a couple more in the works. It took me a good ten years of serious writing to finally get accepted by a publisher. If I was to bundle all the rejection slips, I could use them as a door stop.

Your African friends don't live in the happiest of places.

I have some sample chapters and other info on my webbie.

Besties

Brag

Message Edited by vivico1 on 09-15-2008 02:04 PM

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

My fault then Ande, and I got time, I will remove my post. :smileywink: Then you can take it off yours too and hopefully no harm no foul. Sorry.
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb