Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce yourself

[ Edited ]
Greetings! And welcome to Book Explorers.

Ande

Message Edited by ande on 06-08-2008 11:34 AM
Frequent Contributor
iloveloveloveedward
0 Kudos

hi!!!!!!!!! i'm new at the book explorers room. i'm been mostly in the teen reads room, community room, the writing room, romantic reads room, the food&drinks room, science friction room, and now the book explorers room.
what do u talk about in the book explorers room anyway????????
**DLN**
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Welcome!

Here at Book Explorers we discuss everything having to do with books, authors, publishing, reading habits, we even snoop on others (in public places) to see what they are reading. Usually I blog on Mondays (see previous numbered entries). Sometimes authors drop in to discuss their books.

It's fun and we try to keep the conversation judgment free. We've even created a list where you can freely admit that you had to put down a book that everyone said you were going to love but you found you didn't love it even when you were halfway through.

But more important: what yould you like to talk about?

Ande
Frequent Contributor
iloveloveloveedward
0 Kudos

oh, so is just like other board rooms???

i like 2 talk stuff that i could relate 2.
**DLN**
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Well, how about giving us a hint about what it is you like to talk about that you can relate to. We're all ears!

Ande
Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

Hello from Washington State

Good Morning, Everyone.  I’m Nancy from the greater Seattle area and I received my copy of The Spirit of the Place  just a few days ago.  I’ve been lurking around B&N book clubs for a few years and have read several of the Book Explorers suggestions.  Monique and the Mango Rains is wonderful and The Big Eddy Club gave me lots to ponder.  Very excited to be a part of this ARC group!

Personal stuff:  I’m semi-retired from the state, married for 32 years to a non-reader (who can’t understand why ANYONE needs to own more than one unread book at a time), mom of three terrific adult daughters and one fantastic adult son, grammy to one amazing granddaughter and one awesome grandson.  And housekeeper for one cat.  When I’m not busy reading, I enjoy counted cross stitch, knitting and motorcycle riding.

Starting my book tonight!

Nancy    ~~~~~o%>

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Re: Hello from Washington State

And hello to you! Welcome to Book Explorers. I am delighted to hear that you've enjoyed MONIQUE and BIG EDDY. I really enjoyed The Spirit of the Place -- it's fun to read and deeply meaningful at the same time. Hope you do like it, too.

Ande
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

hi,
i have subscribed to your thread so hopefully i will hear if you do this kind of book review again. i love these online discussions.
twj

Frequent Contributor
iloveloveloveedward
0 Kudos

Re: ande

um.....i mostly read teen/young adult books.
my fav book(with my fav author):
Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer
The Host by Stephenie Meyer
the Private series by Kate Brain
Megan Meade's Guide to the McGowan Boys by Kate Brain
Lucky T by Kate Brin
Fake Boyfriend by Kate Brain
This Lullably by Sarah Dessen
Just listen by Sarah Dessen
Lock & Key by Sarah Dessen
Dreamland by Sarah Dessen
Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen
Wake by Lisa McMann
Bass Ackward & Belly Up by Elizabeth Craft
those r my top fav books.
my fav subject r romance/fantasy/comedy
im live in PA and im in 8th grade(about 2 be a freshman in high school)
**DLN**
CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

Hi Nancy (and everyone else): I am not too far from where you are - I live in Spokane, WA. I am waiting for my copy of "The Spirit of the Place". I am a member of the First Look Book Club and have enjoyed all of those discussions and the books have been wonderful. Can't wait to get started with this group. I read everything I can, fiction and non-fiction. What I really like is being exposed to authors I haven't read before. I have not read anything by Samuel Shem  but I think he will become one of my favorites.

harleyhoney wrote:

Good Morning, Everyone.  I’m Nancy from the greater Seattle area and I received my copy of The Spirit of the Place  just a few days ago.  I’ve been lurking around B&N book clubs for a few years and have read several of the Book Explorers suggestions.  Monique and the Mango Rains is wonderful and The Big Eddy Club gave me lots to ponder.  Very excited to be a part of this ARC group!

Personal stuff:  I’m semi-retired from the state, married for 32 years to a non-reader (who can’t understand why ANYONE needs to own more than one unread book at a time), mom of three terrific adult daughters and one fantastic adult son, grammy to one amazing granddaughter and one awesome grandson.  And housekeeper for one cat.  When I’m not busy reading, I enjoy counted cross stitch, knitting and motorcycle riding.

Starting my book tonight!

Nancy    ~~~~~o%>

CAG
New User
teacher333
0 Kudos

Re:Hi!

Pat, special ed teacher, love to read not only for school but for fun (my students would be right now saying, EEwwww!) Looking forward to chatting with all of you.
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Re: Re:Hi!

Welcome to Book Explorers! What grade do you teach?
Ande
Contributor
gregs317
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Greg from Pennsylvania, mid-30's guy currently in-between jobs. I guess that leaves me more time to read, anyway. I do love to read, but had a bit of a dry spell over the past few years. I'm very picky about finding the right book to read - one that piques my interest, holds on to it, and takes me on a journey. Right now however, I'm in the middle of reading 'A Royal Duty', by Paul Burrell. Very interesting story about Princess Diana, from the first-hand account of one her personal assistants. Very interesting to read about what really goes on behind the palace walls.

I'm happy to report that I've just found 3 new books to add to my must-read list:

* Leaving Microsoft to Change the World, by John Wood. (I just ordered this book, am anxiously awaiting its arrival).
* A Treasury of Royal Scandals, by Michael Farquhar (actually, I had my eye on this book for a while, but didn't get around to ordering it yet - soon tho.
* River Town: Two Years on the Yangtze, by Peter Hessler (story of a Peace Corps worker who spends 2 years in a Chinese town, which hasn't had any foreign visitors, for about the past 40-50 years). Greg
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Welcome! Make the most of your reading time. When you are back at work you will really miss all the books.

I have heard wonderful things about the Peter Hessler book. It sets a high bar for Peace Corps writers. Has anyone else read it?

Ande
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Haven't read the PH book but I have fondled it many a time over the past few years. I would be interested in hearing about it as well. I think the only other book I've read about the Peace Corps was Josh Swillers "Unheard: a memoir of deafness and Africa" which wasn't bad. Greg, you also might like "Three Cups of Tea". I also have Leaving Microsoft... in my library but haven't quite gotten there yet.:smileywink:
Contributor
gregs317
0 Kudos

by the way, for anyone interested in the 'Leaving Microsoft Behind.. book, I just found this website today. http://www.leavingmicrosoftbook.com. In case you want to find out more info about the work that the author is doing, regarding education around the world. Greg
New User
AffordableBooks
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I'm currently a low income disabled unemployed writer who has the passion for books which is why I sell, live and breed through books everyday.

As my vision is mentoring the youth to become great business leaders and my mission is affordability for economically disadvantage people, writing and bookselling shall pave the way for this mission to become profitable and successful.

I enjoy the company of booklovers dedicated in literacy and education towards arts, culture and community.

:smileyhappy:
Best Selling Author - Alex Esguerra is the founder of ADLE Intrnational. Some os his books are "How do you integrate success in a small business" and " Memories of an APEC Young Entrepreneur Leader".
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Greetings and welcome:

What you are doing sounds very interesting and important. Tell us more about it.

Ande
New User
AffordableBooks
0 Kudos

Hello:

Just an avid book reader amd author writing a book here.
Best Selling Author - Alex Esguerra is the founder of ADLE Intrnational. Some os his books are "How do you integrate success in a small business" and " Memories of an APEC Young Entrepreneur Leader".
Contributor
mlasse
0 Kudos

Hello, All:

My name is Mary. I've just finished my third year of teaching (one year of American Literature [tenth grade] and two years of British Literature [tenth grade as well]) and now I'm going to take a break from teaching for a little while.

I'm also a freelance writer; I've written movie reviews, portions of newsletters, and movie-based discussion guides for a couple of companies. I'd like to continue with freelance and eventually create some "spec" material for some of my interests.

I've been an avid reader my whole life, and I am a firm believer that reading is one of the most important skills a person can have and develop. Reading creates better writing (analysis, mechanics, etc.). I've seen it firsthand with my students! Those who enjoy reading tend to deliver strong papers; those who don't employ reading as a hobby tend to struggle (but, please don't mistake my comment as a blanket one).

The Explorers group seems great, as I try to read a variety of things.

Who knows that the future holds? But, I'm definitely glad that I heard about the Barnes & Noble online book clubs!

Regards,
Mary