Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce yourself

Welcome to Book Explorers, Mary!  I hope you visit often.

Did you use contemporary literature in your classes?

Ande

Contributor
gregs317
0 Kudos

hey Ande, I recently read some of your comments on another thread about book-covers and how they might attract readers to pick up the book and/or buy it. Your comment about who is the character in the cover picture, for the book 'The Handmaid's Tale', inspired me to visit amazon.com, so that I could see the picture for myself. Anyway I must say that after reading the book description, I was really drawn in. It looks like a fascinating story. I haven't bought the book yet or anything, but I'm considering it.

I haven't had a chance to read the inside cover of the book yet, so was wondering if you could comment a little more on this book. Funny how your words inspired me to find out more about this book, and now may end up on my 'must read list', lol. Greg
New User
teacher333
0 Kudos

Re: Re:Hi!

ande wrote:
Welcome to Book Explorers! What grade do you teach?

Ande

Was teaching 5th, but am being moved to 3rd - I think it was the math that did me in!
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Re: Re:Hi!

That's true for many of us. I have the fondest memories of my third-grade teacher. We baked bread and churned butter -- she grew up on a farm in Minnesota -- and it was quite the thrill for us city kids. I think we probably learned something about American history in the process, but that's not what I remember most.

Ande
Frequent Contributor
Braguine
0 Kudos

Hahaha, LoracSer!
I don't think the spelling police is too active here. Don't feel bad about the commas, they are a writer's bane.

Allow me to introduce myself, I'm Alexey Braguine, a writer. This occupation leaves me with precious little time to read. Recently, I had the pleasure of revisiting Emilio Salgari, who might be the father of the modern thriller.

As a kid I used to devour his novels and it left me with a compulsive need to read.

In his day (early 20th. century), he was considered a hack by critics. Now, I find him an extremely skilful writer who wrote with an amazing economy of words and takes the reader into the heart of his characters and into action at breakneck speed.

My book, Kingmaker is available on this site.
Alexey Braguine, author of Kingmaker
Frequent Contributor
Braguine
0 Kudos

Hello Pagedove,

Yes, rejections are part of a writers' life. They are not personal rejections nor a judgement of your work. They simply state that your two did not match the other number to make four. It took me 10 years of getting rejected to get published. It required a lot of perseverance and, of course, a lot of polishing,

Alexey Braguine

Alexey Braguine, author of Kingmaker
New User
ECAlexander123
0 Kudos

Hello,
I just published my second book of poems and I would like to get the word out about it. It is called "Faces & Voices."  and is an anthology of poems that range from inspirational, emotional, empowering and even to comical.  The book comes in paperback and hardback and is available at Borders at the following URLs:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Faces-and-Voices/Esther-C-Alexander/e/9781436309820/?itm=1

and

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Faces-and-Voices/Esther-C-Alexander/e/9781436309837/?itm=2

I am a career electrical & computer engineer with an artistic side. 

Read my book...I think you will enjoy it. :smileyhappy:

Esther C. Alexander

www.yourfaceyourvoice.com

Reader 2
Rozetta
0 Kudos

Tragedy in Tin Can Holler

If you want to read a book that you can't put down you should read mine, "Tragedy in Tin Can Holler".  It's a true story that will knock your socks off.  You can read the first two chapters at www.tragedyintincanholler.com  and read the comments on my guestbook too. 
Rozetta Mowery, Author
"Tragedy in Tin Can Holler"
Athens, TN
New User
Flux
0 Kudos

Hello... My name is Sarah - I am a klutz, am scatterbrained and enthusiastic about Life.

I am 25 years old and have a BS in Healthcare administration. I have a continued thirst for learning and keep picking up random classes at the local community college.

I enjoy reading among other things such as debating,gardening, being outside and riding my motorcycle.

Normally when I am reading I rotate 2 or 3 books at the same time because boredom often overcomes me. I figure if I have an outlet for discussion that it will provoke me to try finishing one thing at a time - something I am working on in all aspects of my life.

The doctors called it ADD when I was young - I just call it a thirst for wanting to know what is on the other side of the hill.
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Welcome to Book Explorers!

We're happy to have you. I think you'll find many interesting and smart people here and at any given timely several lively discussions are going on. Look around and let me know what draws you in.

Ande
Contributor
gregs317
0 Kudos

hi Sarah. I am also a community college student (part-time). Trying to finish up my Associate Degree in human services. I love learning new stuff too - except math, I will never be good at mathematical stuff, haha. Well welcome to the club and happy reading. Greg
Inspired Wordsmith
harleyhoney
0 Kudos

Welcome Sarah!  I'm very excited to see another woman motorcyclist here.  What part of the country are you riding in?  I'm up in the Pacific Northwest.  I'm not a gardener, but love learning and always have at least 3 books going.  Hey, you just never know what you'll be in the mood to read.  Ride safe!

Nancy

Flux wrote:
Hello... My name is Sarah

"Somebody said they saw me swinging the world by the tail, bouncing over a white cloud, killing the blues."
Killing the Blues by Rowland Salley
Performed by Robert Plant and Alison Kraus on RAISING SAND
Contributor
Michaelpinner
0 Kudos

hello my name is michael i got into reading cause I started not liking whats on tv ,watching pretty much the same thing all the time ,so I turned to books for my source of entertaining myself.ang keeping the mind active .I enjoy all different authors ridley pearson james patterson james rollins etc i really dont have a favorite author coming close to being jeffrey deaver. the few things i enjoy about reading is coffee drinking,and going to the book stores and meeting people with the same interests as i have and discussing about authors ,since i ride the buses its a perfect time too read and see others reading as well and seeing what their reading,  when Istart reading i cant wait to finish abd start another book thus this happens to you?
Contributor
Michaelpinner
0 Kudos

finding people that enjoy reading books as Ido that also like discussing about the book their readind or have read,
New User
dreamwyvr311
0 Kudos

Hi There...

I'm Kristi, a high school teacher of English and history.  I'm delighted to have stumbled upon you guys -- I love to read and find myself hungry for discussion of good books!  So many people these days respond to my comments about a good book with "I just don't have time to read," and a good book is so much better when shared!

I look forward to getting to know everyone!  

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Welcome to Book Explorers, Kristi. What have you been reading this summer? And what's the next one on your list?
Ande
Contributor
Michaelpinner
0 Kudos

hi ande im in florida so its summer all year round the last book i read was by douglas preston and lincoln child the wheel of darkness great read and a perfect page turner the next im reading is by elizabeth kustov the historian just started so i cant say much about so far its keeping my interest so what are you reading .

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Greetings Michael!
I am reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle right now and loving it. The Historian is in my ever-growing pile of "will read." What book have you recommended most recently?
Ande
Contributor
Michaelpinner
0 Kudos

Hi ande a book i would recomend is the wheel of darkness if you like to go on a thrill ride thats it, its by douglas preston and lincoln childs, the other is judas strain by james rollin if you like indiana jones type of movies thats the type of book, It make it for a movie. next book im going to read after historian is by jonathan nasaw twenty seven bones his latest book in paperbacks I ve read his 1st the girls he adored was also very good.I would recommend that as well,he a new author worth trying out.

Contributor
therapist
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm Vickie. I've been an avid book lover since I learned to read as a young child. The odd one out in my family of origin, I turned to books and found myself in many of them. Now, I'm married to a man who also enjoys reading, the mother of 6 kids (some of whom love reading), the servant of one cat, and I'll be receving my MA in Professional Counseling next month, making my username of "therapist" a valid one.

Years of being in college, however, have limited my scope of reading to textbooks and have dulled my brain to "reading for pleasure". Since school is about to end, though, I'll now have time to read for pleasure again and am looking foward to having a "must read" list of books to choose from. 

As I pondered what to change my homepage to now that I won't be keeping my school website as my homepage, I decided to surf the web in search of ideas and came across the B&N Book Clubs. I have to admit, I had no idea this place even existed. But, I'm here now and couldn't be more thrilled!