Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
imaladygolfer
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce yourself

I am a retired accountant who LOVES to read.   I am currently enrolled in our local community college as a "senior auditor" - and have taken a couple wonderful literature courses.   Last semester, it was Mythology and read, amongst others, the Iliad and the Odyssey.   This semester it is Literature of the Holocaust.   What a great course; have read very disturbing, but excellent, books.   Next semester I'm signed up to take a full semester for Paradise Lost.   What a great resource, and opportunity, we have here just for the asking!

I am new to this Book Club and look forward to adding to my very long list of books to read!

Contributor
imaladygolfer
0 Kudos

ande - as a newbie, I don't know how to get to your #1 blog and #2 blog.   HELP.    Thanks - looking foward to everyone's suggestions.
Contributor
imaladygolfer
0 Kudos

Re: Hello from Washington State

know what you mean about a non-reading spouse!   I have tons of books and my husband keeps wanting to get rid of them.   He doesn't understand why 1) I'd keep them for years if I haven't got around to reading them yet (duh! - he doesn't "get" that the plan is to read every single one of them!) and 2) I'd keep them if I've already read them (can you imagine!! how could I loan my favorites to my friends?).  

Most of the time, he is only kidding with me about getting rid of them, but just in case, I have backup plans if I die before he does.    Book lovers stick together!

Contributor
imaladygolfer
0 Kudos

Mary - do you read Margaret George?    I love all her books, but Memoirs of Cleopatra is probably still my favorite.   Also, I like Philippa Gregory.   Just got through with The Other Queen, which was excellent.   Who are your favorite historical fiction authors?

Contributor
Rocketwomen
0 Kudos

Happy day after

Have a good  after the big bird. day.

Jane Mccormick :smileywink: Author of Breaking my Silence::smileywink:

I lived in Las Vegas for 13 years.
I have written my true life story about my life with the help of a wounderful writer.

Thank you
Rocketwomen
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Welcome!  You will love the Epics group.  We've read the Iliad and Odyssey and have had some good discussions on Paradise lost.  I'm sure you'll fit in there wonderfully!

imaladygolfer wrote:

I am a retired accountant who LOVES to read.   I am currently enrolled in our local community college as a "senior auditor" - and have taken a couple wonderful literature courses.   Last semester, it was Mythology and read, amongst others, the Iliad and the Odyssey.   This semester it is Literature of the Holocaust.   What a great course; have read very disturbing, but excellent, books.   Next semester I'm signed up to take a full semester for Paradise Lost.   What a great resource, and opportunity, we have here just for the asking!

I am new to this Book Club and look forward to adding to my very long list of books to read!

0 Kudos

Re: Happy day after

Have a good  after the big bird day.

BURP.  

Oops, sorry.  Please excuse me.  

0 Kudos

deleted self-promotion

[ Edited ]
Message Edited by ande on 11-29-2008 05:28 PM
Message Edited by ande on 11-29-2008 05:28 PM
I have written my true life story about my life with the help of a wounderful writer.

Thank you
Rocketwomen
Contributor
Rocketwomen
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Message Edited by ande on 11-29-2008 05:27 PM

Thank you
Rocketwomen
Contributor
imaladygolfer
0 Kudos

thanks Everyman; I'll check it out

I'm new to this and am having difficult getting around all the groups, threads, etc.  I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon!

New User
-Mac-
0 Kudos

Hi everybody, my name is Mackenzie, but my nickname is Mac. I am new to this and still getting used to it. I ought to be able to get the hang of it soon. Do you guys know any good books to read?
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Do you guys know any good books to read?

Only about 30,000.  :smileyhappy:

Can you be a little more specific about what YOU consider a good book?  Suggestions would be quite different for person A who loved swashbuckling sea adventures and person B who loved cozy romances with happy endings.  

0 Kudos

-Mac- wrote:
Hi everybody, my name is Mackenzie, but my nickname is Mac. I am new to this and still getting used to it. I ought to be able to get the hang of it soon. Do you guys know any good books to read?

Mac, There are over 300 new books published every day in the US alone. B&N carries several million titles. So please, narrow the field a little bit. I specialize on espionage :smileyhappy:

Besties, 

Brag

Alexey Braguine, author of Kingmaker
New User
mpecbot
0 Kudos

ande wrote:
Say hello to everyone.

Hi all readers,

Just wanted to pop in and say hello, I just joined.  Im always looking for book ideas, I enjoy most genres except romance!  My favorite authors are Jodi Picoult and Karin Slaughter.  Im currently reading The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd.

Frequent Contributor
Braguine
0 Kudos

Mpshot,

Welcome!

Wishing everyone a happy New Year :smileyvery-happy:

New User
dietzgirl
0 Kudos

Hi

My name is Maryann and im from Upstate NY.  Im looking for a good book that I cant put down.  I will try anything.  Any suggestions?

Frequent Contributor
Braguine
0 Kudos

Hi Maryann,

Welcome and happy New Year.

If you like espionage thrillers--hint, hint :smileyvery-happy:

New User
AffordableBooks
0 Kudos

Thanks.  I believe especially nowadays that the economy is very uncertain, small book sellers like us should support each other as we are not the big guys that have the adequate financial resources.
Best Selling Author - Alex Esguerra is the founder of ADLE Intrnational. Some os his books are "How do you integrate success in a small business" and " Memories of an APEC Young Entrepreneur Leader".
Contributor
Rocketwomen
0 Kudos

Hi

I am a book writer and reader.

I hope you are having a good year ahead of you

Rocketwomrn

Thank you
Rocketwomen
Contributor
Rocketwomen
0 Kudos

I agree with you . I hope the people that are layed off will sit and read more? And write more.

Rocketwomen

Thank you
Rocketwomen