Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Madeleine L'Engle and A Wrinkle in Time

I know I am not the only one who read this magnificent book as a kid and was so transported by it that I couldn't wait to tell all my friends. So let's not have a moment of silence for Madeleine L'Engle, who died recently, and her magical book -- let's honor her by talking about "Wrinkle" and other books that may have moved you so much that you couldn't wait to get your friends to read them.
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: Madeleine L'Engle and A Wrinkle in Time

[ Edited ]
I didn't know that Madeleine L'Engle has passed away. Your post filled me with regret at her passing; I have fond feelings for her writing. I read her Wrinkle in Time book when I was 12. That's almost 3 decades ago.

Certain books that we read as children stay with us, and transform us for life. Wrinkle in Time was one of those for me. I began to believe in the transformative powers of reading well-written science fiction.

Message Edited by IBIS on 09-12-2007 11:35 AM
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
0 Kudos

How sad, and what a loss to the literary world. I also read "Wrinkle" in my youth and had only recently discovered what a prolific author she was. I just purchased several other books she penned and they are patiently waiting in my "To Be Read" stack. This news has prompted me to make reading these books a priority as a tribute to a great writer.
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

What better tribute can there be? Let us know how you like her other books.
New User
EnglishMajorTTU
0 Kudos

I have also read L'Engle's "Wrinkle" book when I was young and have read it many times after. You have a greater respect for it as you get older. I enjoyed being transported in this book when I was young, but I enjoy it even more after I have read other books that just don't stand up to this one.
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

I loved "Wrinkle in Time." I haven't read the whole series. I might make it a New Year resolution to finish the series. I felt very sorry to hear about her death too.
Grapes
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Your post makes me want to reread it.

Grapes
Grapes
Contributor
Merryworld
0 Kudos

I also loved A Wrinkle in Time and recently read it to my children. We finished it just as the news came that Madeleine L'Engle had died. I didn't realize it when I was young, but it's actually part of a three book series. So I'm looking forward to reading the other two books along with my kids.

Here is a link to her very inspiring Commencement Address at Wellesley College: http://www.wellesley.edu/PublicAffairs/Commencement/1991/lengle.html
New User
JWindham
0 Kudos

Merryworld, thank you for that link.

I started with Wrinkle in Time and also read A Circle of Quiet and Certain Women. I recommend both. Circle is an autobiographical journal of sorts for those interested in Ms. L'Engle's life (or a bit of it anyway). There are sequels to Circle as well.
New User
marilady
0 Kudos

I also was saddened to hear of Madeleine L'Engle's death. I decided I was going to get her books because of that, and got the Time quintet for Christmas. They are still great books! What I've always liked about her books was how easy her characters are to identify with. Not that I'm flying around on unicorn-pegasi on a daily basis. But especially the young characters are very human. Meg has always been my favorite.

I was also stunned to find out how many other books she had written, especially the non-fiction, religious books, and the Crosswinds? Chronicles. Can't remember the name of that series, sorry. One of the books was The Age of the Grandmother, I think. An autobiographical? book about her grandmother passing on. Has anyone read these? Any opinions, good or bad?

Of her adult books, I think I've only read A Severed Wasp. I'm excited to find that there are other books regarding Katherine Forrester! Another thing I like about her series is how they're interconnected, the Austins with the O'Keefes, and then the Austins with Katherine Forrester.
Frequent Contributor
karinlib
0 Kudos

ande wrote:
I know I am not the only one who read this magnificent book as a kid and was so transported by it that I couldn't wait to tell all my friends. So let's not have a moment of silence for Madeleine L'Engle, who died recently, and her magical book -- let's honor her by talking about "Wrinkle" and other books that may have moved you so much that you couldn't wait to get your friends to read them.

I remember when I read that Madeleine L'Engle had died, that I looked on the internet for comments about her life. I honestly didn't see as many as I would have liked. She is one of my favorite author's. I found her when I was 11 years old, with A Wrinkle in Time. I had to read book I could find by her. I also read her diaries and enjoyed them very much. I think it is because of her that Science Fiction is one of my favorite genres.

She will be missed.

karin
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Having realized I never actually read beyond A Wrinkle in Time I bought the box set reprinted by Square Fish Press. I just started A Swiftly Tilting Planet and I am amazed at how L'engle took scientific ideas that had just been discovered (like mitochondria and farandolae) and created fantasy adventures.

ande wrote:

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Aunt_Beth_64
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

marilady wrote:
I also was saddened to hear of Madeleine L'Engle's death. I decided I was going to get her books because of that, and got the Time quintet for Christmas. They are still great books! What I've always liked about her books was how easy her characters are to identify with. Not that I'm flying around on unicorn-pegasi on a daily basis. But especially the young characters are very human. Meg has always been my favorite.

I was also stunned to find out how many other books she had written, especially the non-fiction, religious books, and the Crosswinds? Chronicles. Can't remember the name of that series, sorry. One of the books was The Age of the Grandmother, I think. An autobiographical? book about her grandmother passing on. Has anyone read these? Any opinions, good or bad?

Of her adult books, I think I've only read A Severed Wasp. I'm excited to find that there are other books regarding Katherine Forrester! Another thing I like about her series is how they're interconnected, the Austins with the O'Keefes, and then the Austins with Katherine Forrester.

I felt the same way--STUNNED--when I discovered just how many books she had published. I bought as many as B&N had available and am thoroughly enjoying them. I never realized she also wrote adult books. Right now I am reading "Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art" As the title indicates L'Engle shares her insight on how a Christian views her art as an expression of faith. Beyond that, I am appreciating her deep, spiritual insight. Before "Walking on Water" I read "The Small Rain" which I believe was the first novel she published (and is the first of another trilogy). It is also a beautiful book, great character development. She was a gifted writer. There is another book that I would love to get my hands on, but it is out of print--Madeleine L'Engle Herself: Reflections on a Writing Life. Of course, there are many other titles to keep me occupied until I can find that one.

Beth

Message Edited by Aunt_Beth_64 on 02-01-2008 04:16 PM
Frequent Contributor
Crystal8i8
0 Kudos

I had seen this book posted on many pages so i decided to pick it up.  I never read this in school, so I feel a bit out  of the loop to be reading it so late in life (24.)   I am thoroughly involved with this book, taken up and swept off my feet by it. It is also the first book I have read by L'Engle.  I will be following this one with many others.  She is a wonderful writer that seems to write directly to a childs soul.  I may decide to take this with me the next time I go babysitting... 

Thank you Madeleine, for all your hard work on all of your books, to make them cherished by generations of people. 
The Butterfly Girl 8i8

"Children aren't coloring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colors." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini