Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
OceanaComms
0 Kudos

Ocean Themes

I'm interested in starting my own book club based on Ocean themes and am not sure what to include. Obviously, I've thought of classic tales that take place on the oceans like Moby Dick but I'm also interested in incorporating books about current problems facing the oceans, like Charles Clover's End of the Line (which discusses overfishing)

Does anyone have any ideas for good books to include? Am I picking too narrow of a topic by sticking to oceans or does it seem like it will resonate?

I'd really love any feedback.

Thanks,
Jon
Contributor
Merryworld
0 Kudos

Re: Ocean Themes

Have you considered the Linda Greenlaw books? Her first was The Hungry Ocean about her stint as the captain of a swordfishing boat. She also has a book about Lobster fishing.

There's also Sebastian Junger's A Perfect Storm and The Outermost House:A Year of Life on the Great Beach of Cape Cod by Henry Beston.

Haven't read it but recently published is Leviathan: The History of Whaling in America by Eric J. Dolan.

When it comes to Melville, everyone has to read Moby Dick, but no one ever seems to read his other books. Omoo is about the South Seas.

Another book where the South Seas are featured is Blue Latitudes by Tony Horowitz. He very entertainingly tries to follow in the footsteps of Captain Cook.

I keep thinking of lots more books, so I don't think your subject it too narrow. After all, there's more water than land on Earth.
New User
bunyip
0 Kudos

Re: Ocean Themes

If you want current ocean situations, one thing you might want to look at is Claire Nouvian's "The Deep". If the images there don't inspire you to something, i'll be amazed.

More to the point, perhaps, are Carl Safina's "Eye of the Albatross" and "Voyage of the Turtle". Both are up to the minute and highly illuminating. Safina's depiction of a mother albatross trying to feed its chick and bringing up a green plastic toothbrush is an indictment of the human presence on this planet. His account of why he had to wear frozen underwear to visit Laysan Island is also pretty compelling.

Safina's a crackerjack scientist and science writer. I cannot recommend his material strongly enough. I haven't read his "Song of the Blue Ocean" yet, but it rests close to the top of my TBR stack.

the bunyip