Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

The Spirit of the Place, by Samuel Shem, discussion starts June 2/Introduce yourself now

[ Edited ]
Greetings Book Explorers:

Later today I will be posting all sorts of info about The Spirit of the Place, the discussion schedule (starting Monday, June 2), the author etc. But for now, if you've received an advance reading copy as a result of responding to my offer a few weeks ago, how about if you introduce yourselves to other The Spirit of the Place discussion participants? Those of you who did not sign up in time before we ran out free copies are welcome to come along for the ride. The publication date of the book is June 15 and we'll be chatting about Spirit for as long as you are interested. The author, Samuel Shem, will join us the week of June 22.

In case you don't know me, your moderator: Besides my weekly blogging and general Book Explorer trail-boss duties I am the editorial director of the Literary Ventures Fund, a non-profit foundation that supports books -- including Spirit.

Can't wait to get going! Spirit is such a terrific book for discussion.

Ande 

Message Edited by ande on 06-01-2008 01:17 PM
CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

Re: The Spirit of the Place, by Samuel Shem, discussion starts June 2/Introduce yourself now

Hi: I am Cheryl from Spokane, WA. I received my book last week and have read it. I look forward to everyone's comments and can't wait to get started. I have been a member of the all of the First Look Book Clubs and enjoy reading everything I can get my hands on.  This is my first book with Book Explorers.
CAG
Frequent Contributor
GMorrison
0 Kudos

Re: The Spirit of the Place, by Samuel Shem, discussion starts June 2/Introduce yourself now

Hey everyone!

This is also my first time participating in Book Explorers, although I've taken part in the past two First Look discussions. I've just finished part one of The Spirit of the Place in preparation for tomorrow's discussion, and I can't wait to hear what everyone else thinks!

GMorrison
Frequent Contributor
Oldesq
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I look forward to the disussion.  I work in NYC and live in northern NJ. 

Oldesq
Reader 4
Wolson
0 Kudos

Hello my name is Whitney and this is also my first discussion. I am soon to be finishing up this novel and looking forward to what everyone thinks about it and discussing with the author down the line.

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hello, all:

The discussion on Part 1 (the first 70+ pages) has just gotten underway this week. So jump right in and tell us what you think so far about The Spirit of the Place. That discussion is under the heading: The Spirit of the Place: Week 1 (June 2) discussion.  

Ande

Message Edited by ande on 06-04-2008 01:25 PM
Reader
nktk
0 Kudos

Hi I'm tracy from Iowa, Nice to meet everyone and discuss this wonderful book
Frequent Contributor
niknak13
0 Kudos

Hi!  I'm Nikki.  I received an email that I'd be receiving the book.  Unfortunately, it did not arrive.  I still have hope that maybe it will.  I've looked at the discussion so far and am intrigued.  If I don't end up receiving the ARC, then I'm pretty sure I'll be purchasing the book.  (then I can come back to the board)  Enjoy your discussion!!
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Oh, no. Sorry to hear that. If you send me your name and address via private message I can have the person who was sending out books track it down for you.

Has anyone had this problem?

Ande
Wordsmith
PhyllisJ
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I was away for a few weeks and my book arrived while I was gone.  I am back now and I plan on starting the book this evening.  I look forward to discussing the book with everyone. 
Phyllis