Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

The World We Want: The giving season

It's the time of year when your mailbox is filling up with requests for money. How do you decide how to give? Do you think about what's meaningful? Do you write the same checks to the same organizations every year? Do you volunteer your time?
New User
marquezreader
0 Kudos

Re: The World We Want: The giving season

I contribute time and money to the homeless women and children. I wish I would get fewer appeals by mail...waste of money by these organizations.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

marquezreader wrote:
I contribute time and money to the homeless women and children. I wish I would get fewer appeals by mail...waste of money by these organizations.

I always give to the Salvation Army. The amount depending on my expenses for the month. I also like to buy a couple of Christmas Presents for needy children. Their names are listed on a tree in our mall.
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I'm glad you mentioned the Salvation Army, Kiakar. Everyone: give whatever you can whenever you see bellringers and their red kettles this holiday season.

Charities for poor and homeless women and children are particularly close to my heart. I am on the board of directors for a Boston shelter for poor and homeless women (The Women's Lunch Place on Newbury Street) and I can tell you these women and their children are a particularly vulnerable population. Volunteer at your local shelter. If you have warm winter clothes and boots (large sizes are highly sought after) bring them by. If you have skills to offer or teach -- are you a dentist, a doctor, a painter, a computer expert? -- contact your local shelter. If you don't have time, send a check. And, attention all you readers: bring in books! A book is a wonderful, compact item that a homeless woman can carry with her. And her child would love to have a book to call his or her own.
Ande

Message Edited by ande on 12-07-2007 11:04 AM
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

BOOKS!
What a wonderful suggestion... I've been donating my books to my branch of the public library, as well as my church group. But it never occurred to me to donate them to shelters! That makes absolute sense! What better way to introduce new readers to the books that gave us such joy!

Thanks, ande, for this suggestion. I'm in the Boston area and there are plenty of shelters here.

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Oh! yes, donate books. I have a few I can donate. And I have some children's books also.
And Ande, thanks for all your good advice. I give generous to the Salvation army every christmas.
Author
PeterKaroff
0 Kudos

I have just returned from St. Louis where 200 citizens of that community spent two days deeply engaged in a discussion and action plan for "The Community We Want," and it is wonderful to see how many people are responding to the central theme of this book - that of awakening the 'citizen within.' Whether the effort consists of helping the homeless, providing the gift of books where there are none, or spreading the message of love, it all adds up to the making of a better world.

Peter Karoff

Learn more about The World We Want.
Frequent Contributor
karinlib
0 Kudos

ande wrote:
I'm glad you mentioned the Salvation Army, Kiakar. Everyone: give whatever you can whenever you see bellringers and their red kettles this holiday season.

Charities for poor and homeless women and children are particularly close to my heart. I am on the board of directors for a Boston shelter for poor and homeless women (The Women's Lunch Place on Newbury Street) and I can tell you these women and their children are a particularly vulnerable population. Volunteer at your local shelter. If you have warm winter clothes and boots (large sizes are highly sought after) bring them by. If you have skills to offer or teach -- are you a dentist, a doctor, a painter, a computer expert? -- contact your local shelter. If you don't have time, send a check. And, attention all you readers: bring in books! A book is a wonderful, compact item that a homeless woman can carry with her. And her child would love to have a book to call his or her own.
Ande

Message Edited by ande on 12-07-2007 11:04 AM

Just an interesting thought from my sister-in-law, who has worked with the homeless in Omaha. She said that the men want the books more than the women.