Author
PeterKaroff
0 Kudos

The World We Want: Welcome from Peter Karoff

Dear Readers,

The World We Want is about three big things. The first is a vision for a better world. The second is doing the work to make the vision real. And the third is what this means for you, for me, and for the people we love. When I went on the journey that became the book, I was looking for community, for "kindred spirits," for those with what Martin Buber calls the "spark" or the "blazing up" of the soul. These were the questions my eclectic group of heroes were asked to consider:

• What is your vision of a better world?
  • What are the obstacles that need to be overcome to realize it?
  • What parts of the vision are realistic, and what ideas, strategies, and plans, can make it so?

The end results are stories from an extraordinary group of practical visionaries - dreamers, realists, entrepreneurs, activists, spiritualists, secularists, ethicists, critics, cynics, and reluctant seers. These are all people who -"put their shoulder to the stone - some days it moves forward, and some days it rolls back." (Governor Cuomo used these terms when he described what he missed most after stepping down from being Governor of New York state.) I have this naïve idea that the tipping point for the fate of the world depends on how many do just that.

The world today is precariously balanced between a disastrous downward spiral and the real potential for the resolution of social dilemmas. I think the sands are shifting, and there are new forces that have the potential to make this era one of monumental social change. Envision a world that tears down silos between all the sectors, and integrates the unlimited capacity of the market economy "in defining problems, creating solutions, and implementing strategies." (Chapter 6 - Open Sesame: Networks and Open Source Solutions)

Does the book have an overriding goal? Yes - it is to awaken the citizen within, to wake those who are sleepwalkers, those who choose to walk by the infinite collage of a world that is hurting. In the book are these words: "The work has called for growing our souls while we seek to transform society." "The only real transformation is the transformation of the human heart." (Chapter 4 - The Listening Post: Reflection and Radical Change) I invite you to share your stories of transformation, and your thoughts and dreams about how we can create the world we want.

--Peter Karoff

Learn more about The World We Want.
New User
marquezreader
0 Kudos

Re: The World We Want: Welcome from Peter Karoff

Thank you for writing this book, Peter. I am a believer in "think global, act local."
Author
PeterKaroff
0 Kudos

Re: The World We Want: Welcome from Peter Karoff

I am glad to hear that "think global, act local" resonates with you. Peggy Dulany and The Synergos Institute have done some wonderful work on this topic. I encourage you to take a look at the article on this topic that was recently published in The Philanthropic Initiative's e-newsletter:

http://www.tpi.org/news_events/think_global_act_local.aspx

Peter Karoff

Learn more about The World We Want.