Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
jayne08
0 Kudos

Water for Elephants

Has anyone read this book, if so what do you think about it? I thought it was really good.
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Re: Water for Elephants

I read the book awhile ago and I loved it, although it made me cry. I read the book shortly after my mom passed away after a fall and a mini stroke, (at age 97 1/2). I had to place her in rehab and then a nursing home shortly before she died. Fortunately, I don't think she realized where she was since she had begun to have dementia, going back and forth between thinking she was home or in a hospital. I don't think I really understood that while the world saw her as old, she still had the 18 year old girl living in her mind. As I read the book, I thought how happy she would have been if there had been some way for her to escape to a happier time and how much better off I would have been had I understood what she was feeling.

twj 

Contributor
jayne08
0 Kudos

This story also reminded me of my Grandpa in the same way. He is 93, and even though his body is slowly giving up on him, his mind is as sharp as ever. He too would like to escape the present and return to his life in the past. 
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Be kind to your grandfather. His age has nothing to do with his viability. I am sure he is still a young man inside his head also. His memories are young!

twj 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

jayne08 wrote:
Has anyone read this book, if so what do you think about it? I thought it was really good.

Jayne -- you might find the link below of interest.  It leads to a book discussion on B&N about a year ago of Water for Elephants.  

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board?board.id=sgwe

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
New User
Kylee-in-CT
0 Kudos

jayne08 wrote:

I read it earlier this year and loved it. There were a few slow parts, but far enough apart and short enugh that they didn't make the book drag. 

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."
~C.S. Lewis
http://kylees2009.blogspot.com/
New User
TrillianLali
0 Kudos

Outside of very much enjoying the discussion of growing older, I also enjoyed the story being told.  The main character's time in the circus, I thought, was very well illustrated and quite fascinating - without being kitchy or fake.

This is one of the few books that I pass on to the rest of my family, and so far all who have read it, have enjoyed it, including my grandfather, my mother, and my aunt; Water for Elephants is currently making its way to my cousins out of state.

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

It's a wonderful, beautiiful story. And an inspiration to us all. I've given WFE to so many friends. Thanks for reminding me why I love it so much.

Ande
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

I participated in the  "Water for Elephants" book discussion in this B&N club. It was a very energetic and throught-provoking discussion.

It's one of my all time favorite stories...

It made me want to run away and join the circus.

IBIS 

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Yes, this book has the #4 for the best books I have read. It was so amazing to me, the life this man had and still had when it ended. He had lived a full productive life.