Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from Alan Cheuse

[ Edited ]
amount of work on your part as a reader?

Your question made me think immediately of Tolstoy's War and Peace

My high school AP English class was assigned Tolstoy's WAR AND PEACE.

At 16, I liked the romantic lovestory of Pierre and Natasha. But I was overwhelmed by the 600 pages of Napoleonic war history, and the thousands of Russian characters with multiple names.

Our teacher recommended that we reread the book every decade in our lives.
In my teenaged wisdom, I rolled my eyes, and muttered, "Oh SURE!"

At 26, I read a story populated by sharply drawn characters--their personalities, weaknesses, strengths. Their wit and their passions. I suffered with them through their sorrows, and rejoiced with them in their happiness.

At 36, I read a book of Tolstoy's philosophy of why humanity wages wars. And learned so much about the follies of not learning from the lessons of history,

At 46, I read a very religious book... I discovering the depth and strength of our faithfullness in face of cultural godlessness.

Tolstoy's War & Peace has moved me deeply, and at the same time makes me work very, very hard to mine his gold.

Message Edited by IBIS on 09-18-2007 11:12 AM
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Author
AlanCheuse
0 Kudos

Ibis,
What a lovely response!
You are a reader we all ought to aspire to become...
What do you read next?
A.C.

Learn more about The Fires.
Author
AlanCheuse
0 Kudos

Ibis,
I think you mentioned you're from Massachusetts...
I'm reading from The Fires in November...See below...

November 14th
Porter Square Books, Cambridge, MA

Alan will be reading at Porter Square Books at 7pm.

Hope you can spread the word about this evening to your
good reading friends...

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Wednesday, November 14th at Porter Square Bookstore. (I had looked for a copy of THE FIRES there, but they were out when I got there.)

I plan to come to your reading of THE FIRES. And drag along some of my friends -- my violin quartet friends; my husband even more than I do; my 23-year-old daughter, who does not read enough, and my Medford Public Library Reading Club friends.

I live near Cambridge. And the Porter Square Bookstore is a great community resource.

I am looking forward to meeting you, and will introduce myself (and my hordes of reading friends and family) to you. Thank you for letting me know your schedule!!!!

Message Edited by IBIS on 09-20-2007 12:08 PM
IBIS

Author
AlanCheuse
0 Kudos

Ibis,
This sounds terrific...Looking forward to it...

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Thank you, Alan Cheuse

[ Edited ]
This week ends your visit with us. I'm very grateful for your generous replies, and comments. This was for me a very intimate and rewarding conversation. I will now be very conscious of my reading as performance.

I wish you and THE FIRES much success -- as well as all your future books. I've added five of your works to my reading list, and am looking forward to reading them soon.

And I hope to meet you during your book tour in Cambridge, MA.

Again, many many thanks for your generosity.
Ilse

Message Edited by IBIS on 09-25-2007 04:48 PM
IBIS

Author
AlanCheuse
0 Kudos

Re: Thank you, Alan Cheuse

I enjoyed it.
Hope I do get to meet you and your family at Porter Square Books...
And thanks for taking up some of my other work.
Best,
Alan

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Novelist Lynn Stegner will be with us in October to talk about her newest book, Because a Fire Was in My Head. Alan reviewed it on NPR and spoke highly of it here in an earlier post. Perhaps Alan would be willing to have an online discussion with Lynn in the Book Explorers Club about writing, writers and other things sometime during October.
Author
AlanCheuse
0 Kudos

Sure.