Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Welcome from your moderator

[ Edited ]
Greetings. I'm the editorial director of the Literary Ventures Fund and I am delighted to be your moderator. Please jump in and share your thoughts about the books we're featuring (this month: The World We Want: New Dimensions in Philanthropy and Social Change, by Peter Karoff), books on your nighttable and books you can't wait to tell others about. Also we'd love to hear from people in all parts of the publishing ecosystem: authors of fiction and non-fiction; booksellers; publishers; agents; editors; distributors. Share your insights and perspectives on the current state of publishing. This conversation is part of the Literary Ventures Fund's mission. Aside from supporting specific books we do speaking engagements and panels all over the country. And now we want the conversation to blossom on line.

Message Edited by ande on 10-29-2007 01:18 PM
New User
JohnHaslett
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome from your moderator

Dear Ande,

I was wondering if I could induce you to read a sample chapter of my book, Voyage of the Manteño: The Education of a Modern-Day Expeditioner (St. Martin's Press Dec. 06). It seems to me that you guys are passionate about rescuing books, and this is one that you might find worthy. The outpouring of readers has been tremendous, but the book has remained obscure. If this sound like something you might be interested in, I can send you the first chapter, which can be read pretty quickly.

Thanks so much,

John Haslett
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Thanks for writing, John. Alas, at this time we work on books at the request of the publisher. Without that direct relationship it would be very difficult for the Literary Ventures Fund to implement its marketing, promotion and other strategic programs that help books find their audiences. But I understand your frustration. If the publishing industry were perfect there would be no need for LVF. And we regularly hear from publishers who are frustrated and authors who feel in need of rescue.
Inspired Correspondent
Maria_H
0 Kudos

JohnHaslett wrote:
Dear Ande,

I was wondering if I could induce you to read a sample chapter of my book, Voyage of the Manteño: The Education of a Modern-Day Expeditioner (St. Martin's Press Dec. 06). It seems to me that you guys are passionate about rescuing books, and this is one that you might find worthy. The outpouring of readers has been tremendous, but the book has remained obscure. If this sound like something you might be interested in, I can send you the first chapter, which can be read pretty quickly.

Thanks so much,

John Haslett

This is an issue that authors, publishers, and booksellers face everyday: How to get this book in front of readers? Anita Diamant was confronted with this question for The Red Tent, now celebrating its tenth anniversary. Come here to read what she did to revive The Red Tent.

Looking for a discussion? Find a Book Club for all your interests!