Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jody1S
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the (New) Book Explorers Club

Hello,

I am very excited that I came across this thread. I am always excited for book recommendations. I pretty much read anything and everything. My problem is that even if I find myself not really liking the story or even the writing style I "have" to finish it no matter what. It might take me a little longer due to reading a book in between that one, but I always figure there is at least one thing I can learn or take away from every book.

So I'll stop the rambling and say that I look forward to talking with all of you.

Jody
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Happy new year and welcome to Book Explorers. It's lots of fun to exchange ideas, make book suggestions and reveal reading rituals and habits, isn't it?
Frequent Contributor
Jody1S
0 Kudos

yes, it is lots of fun! I am pretty much alone in my love for books and my other love, writing, so it is especially nice to come across others who understand. I get a lot of crazy looks most of the time, but it doesn't bother me anymore. What's funny is that when my kids go off to their father's for the weekend, the first thing they say is, "So mom, did you go to the bookstore this weekend?"

The answer is always yes.......lol

Jody
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Well, you have come to the right place. We have booklovers galore here -- and more than a few people with great senses of humor as well.
New User
biblioholic
0 Kudos

Hi,
I'm new to this, so I'm feeling my way through. I read some of the postings and I have had the experience of starting a book and not be able to finish it. It was Nicholas and Alexandra, I started to try to read it in about 1971. About 12 years later I picked it back up and what I had found to be so difficult had become a book that was easy and a joy to read. I think that during the intervening 12 years I gained more knowledge and insight making the contents of the book more familiar and easier to grasp. So just because a book doesn't appeal now, especially when it's an author you usually enjoy, give it time.
Biblioholic
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

biblioholic wrote:
Hi,
I'm new to this, so I'm feeling my way through. I read some of the postings and I have had the experience of starting a book and not be able to finish it. It was Nicholas and Alexandra, I started to try to read it in about 1971. About 12 years later I picked it back up and what I had found to be so difficult had become a book that was easy and a joy to read. I think that during the intervening 12 years I gained more knowledge and insight making the contents of the book more familiar and easier to grasp. So just because a book doesn't appeal now, especially when it's an author you usually enjoy, give it time.
Biblioholic

I totally agree with you, biblioholic. In many instances, I have returned to books that I couldn't finish earlier in my life, but with the passing years, found them easier to read. It's that quote: THE TEACHER WILL COME WHEN THE STUDENT IS READY.

In many cases, I've not been ready for certain books... and in other cases, I don't think I will ever be ready. I won't know until I actually sit down and try again, and again, and again.

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Contributor
SunWoman55
0 Kudos

Well, nuts! I wrote this reply about Nicholas and Alexandra and it didn't end up in this discussion. It was listed elsewhere. I guess it will take me a while to figure out how to use this properly.
Frequent Contributor
flyjo9
0 Kudos

SunWoman55 wrote:
This is all new to me. I love to read and recall the moment I knew I could. Although I only owned about five books in my childhood, I lived two blocks from the library and picked out mystery books for my father as well as books for myself from the age of five or so. The first book that jumped off the page and broadened my life was "The Black Rose" by Thomas Costain. Reading, at the right age, "An Immovable Feast" by Hemingway was memorable. I'm always asking my friends and acquaintances what they are reading. My daughter is an English professor and once in a while we agree on an author or book. I am excited to have another source. Do you believe some books are meant to read at a certain age?

Yes, SunWoman, I do believe that some books are not appropriate for children, but that becomes complicated. It is really an individual decision, I guess. Recently, on another message board, there was a flurry of discussion about The Golden Compass not being appropriate for children because of violence and the negative references to God and organized religion. I loved it and recommended it to my 11 year old grandson, who, after all, plays those loathsome video games, etc.
When I was a kid, my mother would hide books she thought were too "racy" from me, but, of course, they piqued my interest and I always found them and read them avidly. LOL I don't think they tainted my innocence but they did , stimulate my hormones, to be truthful.
Some books have very difficult vocabulary, even though the content is of value and interest to the child but then again, one can supply a dictionary.
I am an eclectic reader and most of my children are as well. However, not all of them are READERS, despite the early indoctination to books.
In summary, an individual decision and some books are not really fit for anyone. Could that be true? LOL Joan
Frequent Contributor
flyjo9
0 Kudos

Happy New Year, Ande and fellow readers. I am so happy to be on the boards again and feel fortunate to have joined this discussion group. I am looking forward to a stimulating and interesting experience. Joan
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Welcome SunWoman55:
So glad you're here. This posting business takes some getting used to but I know you'll get the hang of it (lord knows, it took me long enough). I'll try to move that Nicholas and Alexandra post for you.
Ande
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Happy New Year to you too, Joan. Happy to see you again in the BEC. Have you read MONIQUE AND THE MANGO RAINS?
Ande
Frequent Contributor
flyjo9
0 Kudos

ande wrote:
Happy New Year to you too, Joan. Happy to see you again in the BEC. Have you read MONIQUE AND THE MANGO RAINS?
Ande

Not yet, Ande, but I plan to soon. Thanks for the reminder. Joan
Contributor
SunWoman55
0 Kudos

Thanks Ande.

I just finished forcing my way through The Pillars of the Earth by Follett. I usually like the detail in historical novels, but this just about did me in. Has anyone read the sequel, World Without End? Is it even worth the effort? If not, please make a better suggestion. Anyone?
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

SunWoman55 wrote:
Thanks Ande.

I just finished forcing my way through The Pillars of the Earth by Follett. I usually like the detail in historical novels, but this just about did me in. Has anyone read the sequel, World Without End? Is it even worth the effort? If not, please make a better suggestion. Anyone?

I read Follett's PILLARS OF the EARTH, and I really liked it a lot. I'm sorry that you felt that it did you in. I thought the history were interesting, but it was ultimately the tactics of building a medieval cathedral... the architectural details, the planning, paying for the materials, finding the workforce to complete it, and also fighting the political intrigue.... I found all that was amazing.

I can't wait to start the sequal WORLD WITHOUT END. I may have to wait for the paperback, though. I can't afford the hard cover version.

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Contributor
SunWoman55
0 Kudos

I guess that was a little whinny sounding. I did learn a lot. This was a piece of cake compared to The Tontine. My daughter, a medieval literature professor, was interested to know there was a sequel. The first book was one of the reasons she ended up in her area. I read it to become more familiar with her work and because my ancestry is mostly tied to the British Isles. Thanks for your input.
Frequent Contributor
FrankieD
0 Kudos

IBIS wrote:

SunWoman55 wrote:
Thanks Ande.

I read Follett's PILLARS OF the EARTH, and I really liked it a lot. I'm sorry that you felt that it did you in. I thought the history were interesting, but it was ultimately the tactics of building a medieval cathedral... the architectural details, the planning, paying for the materials, finding the workforce to complete it, and also fighting the political intrigue.... I found all that was amazing.

I can't wait to start the sequal WORLD WITHOUT END. I may have to wait for the paperback, though. I can't afford the hard cover version.

IBIS

I was turned on to Pillars of the Earth years ago and loved it...and I agree that it was the life of a true journeyman tradesman...the architectural details and the construction techniques that caught me...and as a teacher of construction technology in a vocational high school I have long been using the video Cathedral by David McCauley and have stressed to my students the importance of the flying buttress and was impressed that Ken Follett mentioned it in his book.
Once I get through the pile of books I have set aside to read I will definitely head for the sequel...something to look forward to...cool !!!

FrankieD :smileyhappy:
" The longer I live...the more beautiful life becomes."
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Welcome to Book Explorers, FrankieD:

I've never read any of Follett's books, but I know I am missing something. One of these days...

Ande
Frequent Contributor
FrankieD
0 Kudos

I'm just about to start the spring term of teaching construction technology to vocational high school kids...and will be my very last term since I'll be retiring in June... finally !!!! Anyway, I love to read and often have a pile waiting for me...and during the school year I don't get to read quite as often as I'd like to. I've just started to read Turpentine by Spring Warren...and after 150+ pages I've been happy with my choice. It's Spring's debut book and she has my vote to work on her next one.
Oh yeah...the fact that she's also a furnituremaker helped in selecting the book...my background as well :smileyhappy:

FrankieD :smileyhappy:
" The longer I live...the more beautiful life becomes."
- Frank Lloyd Wright
New User
Hackensacker
0 Kudos

Merryworld,

I feel your pain at trying to get through Possession. The first time I picked it up I struggled through half of it then gave up. Then I saw the film. I have found film versions to be a great point of access to novels these days. After watching the film I picked up the book again and, though it is very different from the film, I found myself much more involved in the narrative.

Likewise, I read Ian McEwan's Atonement about 5 years ago and loved it, but after seeing the film I decided to read the book again and I have to admit that I am so in love with this book now that I never want to stop reading it. I finished it last night and started again as soon as I finished the last word. None of McEwan's work has affected me as much as Atonement AFTER seeing the film. I have urged all of my friends who have not read the book to see the film first, then read the book. The film is excellent, and the book builds out the story so beautifully.

Anyway, just my thoughts of new points of access to books you get excited about and then disappointed by.
dg
Frequent Contributor
dg
0 Kudos

I loved I Know This Much is True. Seemed a little far-fetched but I enjoyed reading it and thought it was great. It often surprises me how I love certain books that other people don't and how I really dislike books that some people rave about.