Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
cindersylv
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the (New) Book Explorers Club

I would talk to a reference librarian.  My little town doesn't have one but can work through the Nebraska library commission.  Probably the same holds true in Alaska.  University Reference librarians are usually awesome as well, and if it is a public university, is accessible to non-students.  While I was indeed a librarian, I would hate being a reference librarian as I don't have an interest in digging around for stuff I don't really care about.  I just don't have an interest in pursuing this particular issue in depth.  Sorry. 
Frequent Contributor
mwinasu
0 Kudos

Well then, do you have a literary mystery that keeps you awake at night?  Haven"t you ever run across a peculiar circumstance ?  Oh and have you read A Good and Happy Child?
New User
diane_t
0 Kudos

Hi Ande,

I am new to this sort of group - tell me, do you meet and discuss a particular book from time to time? Please let me know the agenda to date. I am very interested in finding out about this.

Thanks,

diane_t
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Hi Diane,
Ande is one of the big guns at the Literary Ventures Fund (LVF) which supports those "diamond-in-the-rough" books/authors who haven't yet acquired backing from a major imprint.  She posts about different topics, sometimes books, sometimes about an event she went to (the PEN awards for example), and then we discuss.  Sometimes we discuss a book the LVF supported (like The Leper Compound which you can click on in the upper right corner for more information - I highly recommend reading it).

We also like to spy on our fellow commuters and report what we see in the Book Snoop thread. :smileyvery-happy:

diane_t wrote:
Hi Ande,

I am new to this sort of group - tell me, do you meet and discuss a particular book from time to time? Please let me know the agenda to date. I am very interested in finding out about this.

Thanks,

diane_t

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Many thanks for the explainer, Melissa. That pretty much sums it up. I would add that I try to demystify all sorts of aspects of publishing and book promotion, marketing and sales (like why books have a certain illustrations on their covers). It's a very free-wheeling book club and a no-judgement zone.

Welcome to Book Explorers, Diane. Visit often.

Ande
New User
JustinRoberts
0 Kudos

Hello,

A while ago, while strolling through the mystery section of the BN website, I found a novel that really took me by surprise.  I like a good mystery, and that was simply all I was after.  Made curious by the book's title, I read the first chapter online. The writing was like every other Sherlock Holmes book, which pleased me.  But it immediately surprised me.  It began to suggest that Holmes and Watson, though very aged, were still fit, due to wise eating and active minds. ...Hmmm?

I bought the book, and through it, I began to explore America in ways I had never thought of before. A Home Depot every three miles, shopping malls with the same shops making many cities generic, nothing unique. Students obtaining degrees without knowing the basics of art, music, history and geography.

All this, according to the novel, was a calculated plot by corporations to dumb down American society in an effort to sell, sell, sell and gain more and more profit. 

The novel, SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE CASE OF THE MISSING AMERICAN CULTURE stayed with me. 

Now, after just finishing Susan Jacoby's non-fiction book the AGE OF AMERICAN UNREASON, I was prompted to re-read Frawley's novel.

Is society devolving?  What are your thoughts?

Justin  

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Justin:

That's a very provocative question. I always try to patronize the small independent businesses in my town, but I also find myself at Home Depot, IKEA, Target and other big box stores (including chain bookstores). Sometimes it's convenience, sometimes it's price, sometimes it's selection. But often I feel bad for two reasons: I worry about putting the little guy out of business; and I fret about whether it's an overworked, underaged person who is making the goods that are so cheap. So I spread my spending around the best I can.

There used to be a green grocer on the main street of my town. He was there forever it seemed. But then Trader Joe's moved in about a block away and within in the year he was gone. Now I buy my bananas at feel-good TJ's but I don't always feel good about it. And I really don't feel good about Bread & Circus being absorbed by Whole Foods. The produce there has taken a plunge in quality.

But even scarier is what has happened to local media outlets -- especially newspapers. Nothing, nothing can replace what a locally savvy reporter can do.

Ande
Contributor
cindersylv
0 Kudos

In response to the book "The Leper Colony", which I plan to check out, I just stumbled onto a book from 2003 titled "Moloka'i" by Alan Brennert, a novel set in the late 1800s in the leper colony on Moloka'i.  It's rich, informative, intelligent and colorful -- in short:  wonderful.
Frequent Contributor
mwinasu
0 Kudos

Justin,  people have been talking about how things used to be so much better in the good old days since Moses was a boy.  The truth is that every age has its failures.  I believe  that we educate more of our population than they did in the past and that has given many people a leg up out of poverty.  Yet it seems that time after time when given the opportunity to think deeply about anything - you know just blowing out the carbon a bit- everybody freezes up.    We seem to have lost the ability to handle complex ideas outside our expertise.  However I am not sure that they were all that good at that in the past anyway.  I think our society is in trouble and I am worried because I am old and I do not have the ability to withstand any radical changes in my life.  I worry for my children and grandchildren.
Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

This forum is part salon, part talk-show.
But it's not just about me. It's about you, too. Please jump in and share your thoughts about the books we're featuring, books on your nighttable; and books that have been life-altering; new books; old books. Any and all thoughts about the lasting pleasures of a great book are welcome.

Since you’re here I’ll bet you agree that literature has a profound impact on our lives.

sorry for cutting in to the conversation.
i absolutely agree .
id like to get to know you all and the profound impact of good books in your lives.
this is so great. keep it up guys. ;o
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Well come on in and make yourself comfortable, MrsRw. Happy to have you here. Did you sign up for the free advance reading copy of The Spirit of the Place?

Ande

Frequent Contributor
mrsronaldweasley
0 Kudos

hi Ande, unfortunately i am simply a member here at B and N. i barely have time to do other stuff. im simply browsing through, commenting on interesting topics and book reviews that ive had the pleasure of reading.
Mind you ive been waiting for a long time to find Terry McMillan fans.
are you one?
o’~aNd I'm So Sad, LikE a GoOd BooK, I caN't PuT tHis Day BacK~’o
Contributor
klmnca
0 Kudos

Hi--I just found this group through a LibraryThing posting. I love how so many different books can mean so many different things to each of us. Even though, like everyone, I have my favorites that I'll re-read many times, often just certain lines of books really stick with me. One of my favorites, because I think it is just too funny, is from Jonathan Hull's "Losing Julia", "Like most bookworms I read to not be alone, which often annoys those who are trying to talk with me." My family says that it is so very true!

By the way, if you haven't read the aforementioned book, I really loved it...

I look forward to stopping by whenever I get the chance, y'all have a great day!

Kelly in sunny So. Cal.
Contributor
cindersylv
0 Kudos

I recently read "Moloka'i" by Alan Brennert which I picked up at the library.  It was so great I went right out and bought a copy so I could read it again sometime -- not right now as my daughter immediately took it home with her to read.  It revolves around the leper colony on Moloka'i at the turn of the 20th century and speaks very fluently as to the people, the conditions and the society that put the lepers on Moloka'i -- some adventure, some romance, and of course, much tragedy.  Anyone else read this?
Correspondent
detailmuse
0 Kudos

Hi all, I slipped into this group on another thread and just noticed Introductions here. I live in Chicago and my curious-reader side thrills to the concept of "exploring" books and opinions with everyone. My writer-side (current freelancer, aspiring novelist) looks forward to Ande's publishing perspective. Now to catch up with the posts...:smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

detailmuse wrote:
Hi all, I slipped into this group on another thread and just noticed Introductions here. I live in Chicago and my curious-reader side thrills to the concept of "exploring" books and opinions with everyone. My writer-side (current freelancer, aspiring novelist) looks forward to Ande's publishing perspective. Now to catch up with the posts...:smileyhappy:

Welcome! I live in Skokie!
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Happy to have you with us. Welcome to Book Explorers!

Ande
Frequent Contributor
LisaMM
0 Kudos

ande wrote:
Well come on in and make yourself comfortable, MrsRw. Happy to have you here. Did you sign up for the free advance reading copy of The Spirit of the Place?

Ande

I"m trying to figure out how to do that!
~Lisa
www.lisamm.wordpress.com
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Alas, I'm pretty sure they were all spoken for within 24 hours  or so after I posted a special email addres for requests.

Ande
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

how does one do this? i just happened on this site tonight. i read another of your comments and you said that they were all spoken for but i would still like to know for the future. can i subscribe to the site so i am notified for the next one?
twj

ande wrote:
Did you sign up for the free advance reading copy of The Spirit of the Place?
Ande

Message Edited by thewanderingjew on 05-20-2008 06:43 PM