Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the (New) Book Explorers Club

Hello, TWJ:

This is the first time we've done a book giveaway in the Book Explorers Club. I had put an email address in the original offer last week so people could request a copy. It was first-come, first-served and very popular -- all the books were spoken for very quickly.

We may do more of these in the future, so the best thing to do is visit often and sign up right away when you see an offer. In the meantime, I will check to see if there are any more advance reading copies hidden away somewhere that can be sent to you and others who didn't get in under the wire.

Ande

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

you are a gentleman/gentlewoman and a scholar. thank you for your reply and effort!
twj

ande wrote:
Hello, TWJ:

This is the first time we've done a book giveaway in the Book Explorers Club. I had put an email address in the original offer last week so people could request a copy. It was first-come, first-served and very popular -- all the books were spoken for very quickly.

We may do more of these in the future, so the best thing to do is visit often and sign up right away when you see an offer. In the meantime, I will check to see if there are any more advance reading copies hidden away somewhere that can be sent to you and others who didn't get in under the wire.

Ande

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Message Edited by thewanderingjew on 05-21-2008 11:46 AM
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Hi ande, I received my copy and am digging in. What an excellent marketing tactic... you get the book read, it's out there (which should make Mr. Shem very happy!), and hopefully, in return, you'll get a very active board discussing the book....

Very clever analysis and execution. It works amazingly well with the First Look Book Club... the club is swamped that it takes me HOURS just to catch up on the posts.

Hopefully that will also happen here with Spirit of the Place.

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Thanks for that feedback, IBIS. Depending on how this goes we might do something similar with other Literary Venture Fund-supported books in the future.

What do you and others think? Should we all talk among ourselves first and then after a week or so invite Samuel Shem, the author, to join us? I am trying to figure out how to make this the most enjoyable and effective.

Ande

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

I think us, then author

I think a good format (and the First Look mods and editors schedule this well) is to have some discussion about the book first then invite the author to formally join the group.  I think this allows some kinks in the discussion to work out (i.e. any parts that were unclear to a few readers) and should also allow time for everyone to read through the end of the book.  That way when a reader asks a specific question of the author regarding the end of the book it shouldn't be a total spoiler to anyone else participating (non-participants can read at their own risk).

ande wrote:
Thanks for that feedback, IBIS. Depending on how this goes we might do something similar with other Literary Venture Fund-supported books in the future.

What do you and others think? Should we all talk among ourselves first and then after a week or so invite Samuel Shem, the author, to join us? I am trying to figure out how to make this the most enjoyable and effective.

Ande

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Re: I think us, then author

Thanks, Melissa. That makes sense to me.

Ande
CAG
Inspired Correspondent
CAG
0 Kudos

Hi: My name is Cheryl and just learned I am getting a copy of the book "Spirit of the Place". I am and have been a member of the First Look Clubs and  have enjoyed the discussion group there. I think it would be great if we talk among ourselves and then invite the author to join us. Whatever is decided I know I am going to enjoy this group and can't wait to get started. Thank you for the opportunity.

ande wrote:

Ande

CAG
New User
Marker15-LKN
0 Kudos

Hi Ande,

I know I'm joining this discussion late, but have been craving a book club for quite a while-I live in a pretty rural area and have a hard time finding people as passionate about quality literature as I am...maybe this is the outlet I'm looking for.

I prefer fiction and literature but look for books that take place in other historical times and or cultures.  I recently read Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth and loved the building of the cathedral, as well seeing strong female characters from that time period.  I visited London a few years ago and I could imagine the cathedral going up-much like Westminster Abby...we just don't see old buildings and history like that here in the states.

Right now I'm reading Gregory Maguire's Wicked.  I picked it up a few weeks ago before going to the musical. Loved the production, but I'm struggling through the book. I'm not usually one to read fantasy (which is the only genre I can seem to fit this into) and have found portions of it extremely slow and other parts to have political undertones making the story both complicated and convaluted. I am determined to finish, and have a large pile of books and an even longer to read list. Has anyone else read Wicked? Am I alone in struggling with it?

Marker15-LKN

Contributor
cindersylv
0 Kudos

I, too, was not thrilled with Wicked and also wondered if my lack of interest in fantasy (??) literature had something to do with it.  We do seem to be in the minority.  I have not seen the musical.  Could I recommend, for historical novels:  First, the sequel to Pillars of the Earth, World Without End; 2nd, one you have undoubtedly read, The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco; 3rd, The Floating Book,  a debut novel set in Venice at the time of Gutenberg by Michelle Lovric; next, The Illuminator, another debut novel by Brenda Rickman Vantrease, set in 14th century England, the illuminator being the artist who letters and paints the manuscripts of the day.  I obviously have a passion for books relating to books.  One surprise:  James Patterson's The Jester, set in England at the time of the first crusade was totally out of character for him, but very good.  Good reading!

Sylvia
Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

I've never seen the musical. But I read the book "Wicked", I didn't like it. I consume a lot of fantasy, and that book was just not quality stuff. Great premise poor follow through.
New User
Marker15-LKN
0 Kudos

Sylvia-

Glad to hear that others were disappointed by Wicked-now I know why I never picked it up before. In fact if I had read it before we had the tickets I might not have wanted to go!

I have read Ken Follet's World Without End-and loved it as well.  I did not read them back to back, but probably too close together.  As much as I enjoyed it, it may have been too much of a good thing! I have not read any of the others you suggested, but will give them a try.  My husband reads a lot of James Patterson, and I will read one every now and then after I've read a few heavier books and need a quick read.  I'm pretty sure he hasn't read this one, so there's one for both of us.

In additon to historical fiction, I like to read about other cultures in general.  Lately, it seems to have been surrounding the middle east- The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns (I thought Suns was the better of the two), Reading Lolita in Tehran, while not fiction was fascinating and got me to read Lolita which was well written, but the subject matter made my skin crawl-another sign of a good book-one that brings out emotions, or makes you feel especially strongly about a character or the subject) Other books that were set in the middle east: The Bookseller of Kabul, and I have The Reluctant Fundamentalist on my desk waiting...

Debbie
New User
Marker15-LKN
0 Kudos

Without saying too much, the musical picks up at the end of the Wizard of Oz and then Glinda tells the story of how she knew Elphaba when they were in school. It cleanly ties up the loose ends, so to speak, of the Wizard, and has better follow through than the book.  It's actually hard to believe that someone read the book and was able to conceive of the musical. Ihighly recommend the musical-even my husband loved it and he dispises musicals in general.

Debbie

Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

Marker15-LKN wrote:
Without saying too much, the musical picks up at the end of the Wizard of Oz and then Glinda tells the story of how she knew Elphaba when they were in school. It cleanly ties up the loose ends, so to speak, of the Wizard, and has better follow through than the book.  It's actually hard to believe that someone read the book and was able to conceive of the musical. Ihighly recommend the musical-even my husband loved it and he dispises musicals in general.

Debbie

I thought the musical was good but my l6 year old daughter thought it was "great". She hates all theatre and I keep trying to get her interested. Wicked was the first theatre experience that she really appreciated.
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

i have been watching for your book discussion but i can't find the thread. when will it begin? i thought i would follow along even though i am not part of the group.
twj

ande wrote:
Hello, TWJ:

Ande

Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

I am just about to post something. Happy to have you join us.
Ande
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hello! Just found this book club per a mention by IBIS on another site. It was mentioned in a discussion on reviving the BN book clubs--some interesting thoughts there, BTW. I also agree with IBIS that the First Look Book Club has become overwhelming so hopefully I can "throw in" with the next book on this club.

Anyway, I was thrilled to find this club. I often read books that are not the main stream/popular/big best sellers and if I mention them in other threads they get no response so it is nice to find a place where they might get some sort of look-see. It seems I see the same extremely popular books rehashed over and over again so that is great reason to be here, though I should mention I don't mind seeing the big best sellers discussed--I just need a little variety. Something about me: although I enjoy reading I don't think I can be described as literary--my needs in books are simple: I like a good story or I like to learn something (beyond that, they usually become painful for me, sadly). I am blown away by people who can find metaphors, symbolism, etc. Although I don't deny  I never find these things, it is a very rare occassion when I do.

Message Edited by pjpick on 06-08-2008 06:33 PM
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Marker15-LKN wrote:

Right now I'm reading Gregory Maguire's Wicked.  I picked it up a few weeks ago before going to the musical. Loved the production, but I'm struggling through the book. I'm not usually one to read fantasy (which is the only genre I can seem to fit this into) and have found portions of it extremely slow and other parts to have political undertones making the story both complicated and convaluted. I am determined to finish, and have a large pile of books and an even longer to read list. Has anyone else read Wicked? Am I alone in struggling with it?

Marker15-LKN

Marker, our book club picked this and I was totally dreading it, especially after I read chapter 1. As all my fellow book club readers were reading they just new I was going to hate this book but surprisingly I quite enjoyed it. Like you, I don't care for fantasy but I do enjoy a different "take" on something. What I enjoyed the most was the underlying political theory in the novel--it seemed to be such an excellent portrayal of fascism and appeared to be making some interesting correlations with pre WWII events in Europe. (It's been a couple of years since I've read the book so I'm not really able to go into much more analysis though!)
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

cindersylv wrote:
I recently read "Moloka'i" by Alan Brennert which I picked up at the library.  It was so great I went right out and bought a copy so I could read it again sometime -- not right now as my daughter immediately took it home with her to read.  It revolves around the leper colony on Moloka'i at the turn of the 20th century and speaks very fluently as to the people, the conditions and the society that put the lepers on Moloka'i -- some adventure, some romance, and of course, much tragedy.  Anyone else read this?

Finally! I can't believe I finally found someone who has read this book! Currently this is my number 1 book to recommend to people. I stumbled across it one day (okay, I actually bought it because of the beautiful cover) and just fell in love with the story. It is also my number 1 loaner. I've probably loaned it to 10-15 friends and it always returns with stellar reviews. I also bought a another second hand copy simply because I have so many friends wanting to read it. I recommended it to a BNBC penpal and she devoured it. I've mentioned it on several BN threads but I have never seen a reply or post on it until now--a fact that stuns me. The book has become very popular locally but I don't think it has much recognition nationally. In addition to the story I think it has some great insights on culture, history, and medicine. I haven't read Pillars... but I am familiar with Follet's work and I think it would be a good read for those people who've read  Pillars... -- if anyone out there is looking for a recommendation?
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Welcome! So glad you found us. Since you are drawn to books that aren't in the mainstream spread the work by adding to our Just Read It List, which you can find on this board.

Come back soon.

Ande