Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
mwinasu
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading next?

The next book in line is Hagakure- The book of the Samurai by Yamamoto Tsunetomo. It was written in the 15th century I think.
Frequent Contributor
karinlib
0 Kudos

I also read the book by David Denby.  I enjoyed the book so much!  I wrote down all the books in the reading list so that some day I will also read the same versions.  I believe that after I read his book, I told myself I wanted to read a "classic" book for every non-classic read.  I added Pulitzer Prize and Nobel Prize authors to my "classic" list.  I have pretty much stuck with it. 
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

that's great! I enjoy his reactions so much. I'm following basically the same curriculum and it's very validating when his thoughts are the same as mine. Then, of course, he adds new insights. It was a goal of mine, for years, to read these books and they don't disappoint, do they? Maybe we can discuss some of them.
New User
njeanne
0 Kudos

If you found A Thousand Splendid Suns enjoyable, then I'd also like to suggest: Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortensen..I bought this one and donated it to the library when I was finished as I felt this book should be read by anyone interested in a peaceful solution to the issues that we all face with terrorism The Storytellers Daughter by Saira Shah ... helped me to understand the plight of the people of Afghanistan .... over 20 years of war / how sad. The Faith Club ... by Idliby, Oliver, and Warner ... Women pointing the way toward peace. I'm currently reading Kabul in Winter by Ann Jones, I've just started this one ... so not quite sure what I will learn.
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Njeanne:

Have you read Monique and the Mango Rains, by Kris Holloway yet? If you like books that take you far out of your usual surroundings, feature unforgettable characters and spur you to make the world a better place then MONIQUE should be on your list.

It's a truly life-altering book and its readers have raised tens of thousands of dollars to create and outfit a clinic in Mali (Clinique Monique).

Ande
Frequent Contributor
Crystal8i8
0 Kudos

There are a few choices in my stacks...  Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, Peony in Love, some classics, Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah (which will absolutely be the one I dip my toe into next, so that maybe I can get in on the conversation with her this week) and a few others.  If my mother ever finishes The Secret Life of Bees, I'll want to jump into that as well.
The Butterfly Girl 8i8

"Children aren't coloring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colors." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan was one of those JUST PUT IT DOWN books for me. I know tons of people adore it, but less than 100 pages into it I decided it wasn't going to sweep me along.

Here's what I suggest. Grab The Secret Life of Bees away from your mother for a day. You will read it in one gulp. I adored that book and think of it and its characters often. I tell everyone to read it. That's the sign of a good book, right? 

Ande
Frequent Contributor
Crystal8i8
0 Kudos

Well actually I cheated a little...  Totally by coincidence I picked up Firefly Lane  by Kristin Hannah about a day before she was the next Center Stage participant, so I figured I'd read it.  If you have a best friend I suggest you read this book.  It just grabbed me.  You don't really get to the emotional part of the book until the end, but make sure you have the tissues ready.   But WOW what an amazing read this was for me.  Two nights back to back I was up til 2 am.  Just couldn't put the book down til my eyes closed on me. 

Snow Flower is now the one I've dipped my toe into and mom finished The Secret Life of Bees last night so we traded books...  (that's next.)
The Butterfly Girl 8i8

"Children aren't coloring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colors." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Can't wait to hear what you think of Snow Flower and Secret Life of Bees (I put down the former and inhaled the latter).

Ande
Frequent Contributor
Crystal8i8
0 Kudos

Snow Flower has kept me in it, although I must say i was quite disgusted at the foot binding and wonder how these cultures can live with torturing their own, but then again I haven't seen much of the world, mostly just my little corner of it...  I have about 70 pages to go, then I'm on to Secret Life of Bees
The Butterfly Girl 8i8

Frequent Contributor
Crystal8i8
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Ok Ande, here we go...

2 books Back to back about a main character who's named lily.  Funny how things run...

Snow Flower is a tale of deception and a tale that manages to withstand that deception.

The Secret Life of Bees is a tale of a girl who needs to find her past to become the person she wants to be in life.

Both were masterfully written, but oh so different.  I enjoyed both stories from a different perspective.  If I were made to pick a favorite, then I would pick The Secret Life of Bees just because of the tale iself.  I found that it touched my heart more than Snow flower, but it's a close call and a tough choice for me.

The one thing I didn't really want to read was the harsh truths, more so the process of footbinding in Snow Flower. That just grossed me out.

By the way.  I'm currently 100 pages from the end of People of the Book.  Wow is it fun to chase a books history!  Up next A Wrinkle in Time

Message Edited by Crystal8i8 on 03-02-2008 09:48 AM
The Butterfly Girl 8i8