Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
FrankieD
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

Reading one book at a time is about all I can handle...except when I'm reading a novel and spend some time with a technical book at the same time...but never two novels. I've just finished The Sister with the First Look club and now I'm about to embark on my next adventure...The Appeal by John Grisham...which my mother encouraged me to read while making my usual Sunday visit yesterday. Having merely read the cover and flaps I'm about to jump in tomorrow...wish me luck!!!
                                                                                      Frankie D :smileyhappy:
" The longer I live...the more beautiful life becomes."
- Frank Lloyd Wright
dhaupt
0 Kudos

I am just about to finish up The Killer's Wife a debut novel by Bill Floyd, just thinking about the book gives me shivers up my spine. It was a great piece of work and I would recommend it to anyone who loves great thrillers. I think the only thing the author didn't really comprehend was how women talk and think, since the book is told by the killer's wife his adaptation of her speaking and thinking is a little off and by that I mean the way he wrote her she sounded more like a man to me. But this is his first novel and I still give it 4 stars out of 5. It was terrific.
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

ande wrote:
Am I the only person on earth who hasn't read Eat, Pray, Love yet?

Ande

Yes
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

I thought so!

Ande
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:
I am just about to finish up The Killer's Wife a debut novel by Bill Floyd, just thinking about the book gives me shivers up my spine. It was a great piece of work and I would recommend it to anyone who loves great thrillers. I think the only thing the author didn't really comprehend was how women talk and think, since the book is told by the killer's wife his adaptation of her speaking and thinking is a little off and by that I mean the way he wrote her she sounded more like a man to me. But this is his first novel and I still give it 4 stars out of 5. It was terrific.

That's interesting... the female or male sensibility that infuses a novel... can it be captured by a writer of the opposite gender? I've always wondered if it's a learned skill.

I've read male writers who captured, IMO, excellent female perspectives... Tolstoy's Anna Karenina comes to mind, as well as Flaubert's Madame Bovary.

Then there are female writers who captures the male sensibility wonderfully... George Eliot's Daniel Deronda, for example, or Middlemarch.

I can usually identify if the sensibility is off, or when it works very well... but for the life of me, I can't  figure out why.

IBIS

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Frequent Contributor
FrankieD
0 Kudos

Timbuktu1 wrote:

ande wrote:
Am I the only person on earth who hasn't read Eat, Pray, Love yet?

Ande

Yes

Whoops...isn't this earth??? I know that I never read it either...but I do still eat and love!!!
                                                                                      FrankieD :smileyhappy:
" The longer I live...the more beautiful life becomes."
- Frank Lloyd Wright
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Just finished The Murder of Roger Akroyd by Agatha Christie for my library book club. Really enjoyed it for a change, had to get used to proper english and I couldn't figure out until the end who done it.
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:
Just finished The Murder of Roger Akroyd by Agatha Christie for my library book club. Really enjoyed it for a change, had to get used to proper english and I couldn't figure out until the end who done it.

Have you read Pierre Bayard's Who Killed Roger Ackroyd? It's an interesting take on the Christie mystery...  if you can find a copy of Bayard's book, it would be interesting as a followup.

I don't want to spoil it for you, but Bayard thesis is that Poirot made major mistakes in his detecting, and the real murderer got away with it.  He goes into detail about who he thinks, using the exact same clues that Poirot uses, and comes to a totally different conclusion.

When I first read The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, I felt that Christie had cheated, and was very disappointed.

Then I read Bayard's analysis, and I agreed with his alternate conclusion. It made a lot more sense.

Fascinating reading!

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
New User
Bella_Edward_4ever
0 Kudos

right now, i'm reading "Inkheart." i'm only on, i think, the 54th page, but it's really good! i just finished "Eclipse", it's the last book in the Twilight series; i don't want to be done with it, the next one doesn't come out till August 2nd! :0
"A house without books is like a room without windows."
--Horace Mann

Rock On,
~emma
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Ibis,
no I didn't know about Bayard's book I'll have to get it and check it out.
Thanks
Contributor
foreverheaven
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
A new book just published, "The Secrets of Death: In the View Of Astral Projection" by the author Sapphire.

This man surely can write, it chills your bones, all the secrets crossing over of his late father and author took a trip to Egypt, revealed the secrets of the Egyptian version, "The Book of the Dead"... fantastic read.

Message Edited by foreverheaven on 03-31-2008 12:21 PM
Reader
Vonney007
0 Kudos

I just finished listening to Water_For_Elephants--unabridged version and was totally wrapped up in it all the way to the end.  I loved the way Sara Gruen jumped back and forth from 23-year-old Jacob
to the present day 90-or-93-year-old Jacob.  His youth was full of action and excitement, and presently he is living in a nursing home--the most boring place on earth to him.  He's losing his
short term memory, but every minute detail of his younger years he remembers vividly.
Written very well.

The old Jacob affected me a lot I think because I am nearing 60, about to retire in 5 years,
and wondering how I can stay healthy enough to live on my own forever.  The thought
of going to a nursing home to live out the remainder of my days makes me about as sick as it does
eveyone else.  So, I'm trying to formulate an essay in my head about how to look forward to living
in one of those places for sick old people, how to enjoy my time there, and whether or not I'll
be allowed to take my computer.  I think I should maybe consider getting a laptop just in case.
The food though, that may be a problem like it was for old Jacob.  I don't blame him for his refusal
to eat the stuff, and that is what was most difficult about the place.  That and the smell.  I hope
I live in one that will allow me to have a cat or dog too. 

Vonney
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I thought it was one of the most charming books I've ever read.

Cheers!
Ande

Message Edited by ande on 04-07-2008 03:30 PM
dhaupt
0 Kudos

I just finished Karen White's The Memory of Water
It was fantastic best read I've had in a while

As I read The Memory of Water it was like watching an artist paint, with every word she writes you can actually see the landscape she describes come to life.
It was a haunting tale of mental illness and about those who survive it and those who don't.
A bewitching tale of love and loss and love found at last, about the story of sisters and a love that only sisters can share and understand.
This book is a must read for any of you out there that love great fiction.

Happy reading
Frequent Contributor
msclapp223
0 Kudos

I was in B&N just a few weeks ago browsing and I picked up a book titled A Man of No Moon .  To be honest is was the cover that caught my eye and once I picked it up I read the jacket and now I'm working on finishing it.  I really didn't expect it to be as good as it has turned out.  I am not done with it but it has really been a good read.  Part romance and part drama it involves two American actresses who are sisters and an Italian poet who just so happens to be suicidal trying to cope with life and living in a late 1940's Europe.  It has been a wonderful surprise.  I am enjoying it very much.
Jessi )0(
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Who is the author? Good for you -- it's fun to make a discovery and share the news.
Ande
New User
Prentice-
0 Kudos

>After joining this book group and reading the threads I read The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana by Umberto Eco that was discussed here. I enjoyed the concept of the book and felt greatly rewarded by having given this book the time it deserved, and am even tempted to read it again, but so many books so little time etc... I thought the way the book was divided into 3 parts and the way part 3 revealed the answers to the mysteries brought out in part 2 was very clever.

The illustrations were just plain fun. Unfortunately, so many of the cultural references were lost on me since Eco is writing and referring to Italian books, radio programs and popular songs of the 1940s, but still I got a lot out of the book. When as a boy the main
character is involved in helping some Russians escape from Italy and one of his dear friends is killed in the process, he is only able to resolve his grief by turning again to literature and reading to go on living. There were times when the book got tedious, but it remained compelling and I kept coming back to it.

There are parts of this book that will become part of my memory as small bits of illumination in the dense fog of memory.

Prentice
Prentice
Frequent Contributor
karinlib
0 Kudos

I know that this sounds like a cliche, but I am reading War and Peace (by Tolstoy).    I have tried to read it several times and I have always put it down at about 50 pages in.  I decided to try it again after reading Anna Karenina translated by Pevear and Volokhonsky.  So, I decided to look at 2 translations: The Pevear and the Maude (Inner Sanctum)   I have found that I like the Maude version better than the Pevear, because Maude translates most of the French right in the text, rather than putting the translations at the bottom of the page. 

I am really enjoying it this time, but I think it will take me most of the summer to read it.  

I am also reading James Herriot's books.
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

karinlib wrote:
I know that this sounds like a cliche, but I am reading War and Peace (by Tolstoy).    I have tried to read it several times and I have always put it down at about 50 pages in.  I decided to try it again after reading Anna Karenina translated by Pevear and Volokhonsky.  So, I decided to look at 2 translations: The Pevear and the Maude (Inner Sanctum)   I have found that I like the Maude version better than the Pevear, because Maude translates most of the French right in the text, rather than putting the translations at the bottom of the page. 

I am really enjoying it this time, but I think it will take me most of the summer to read it.  

I am also reading James Herriot's books.

Hope you get through it! I also have tried, for several summers to get through it with the same results. I really enjoy the first l00 pages and then.... I WILL read it one day!
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

That's interesting - I'm just the opposite.  I like the Pevear (and their other translations as well) because only the Russian is translated.  It feels closer to the original in that there are two languages on the page.

karinlib wrote:
I know that this sounds like a cliche, but I am reading War and Peace (by Tolstoy).    I have tried to read it several times and I have always put it down at about 50 pages in.  I decided to try it again after reading Anna Karenina translated by Pevear and Volokhonsky.  So, I decided to look at 2 translations: The Pevear and the Maude (Inner Sanctum)   I have found that I like the Maude version better than the Pevear, because Maude translates most of the French right in the text, rather than putting the translations at the bottom of the page. .

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com