Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
psychodragon
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

I have the unfortunate habit of reading a couple books at a time, it drives my friends crazy.  Right now I', jumping from The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie, Darkmans by Nicola Barker and Reaper's Gale: Book Seven of the Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson.

Each of these books just uses language so beautifully, each with different results.  Words are far to addicitive.
Trust me, it will happen when the turtles eating ice cream storm the beaches of Iowa under the cover of dead sheep powered pigeon spitting canons while those overgrown excuses for telephone poles sit around a square table toasting the invention of self replicating soap.
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I am reading " The Bastard of Istanbul ". I heard about it through another thread in this forum. Its very good so far. I had recently finished reading "Dervishes " which is a story that also takes place in Turkey. I love it when one book leads me to another, but it also means that I have a stack of unread books because I buy new ones before I read the ones I have.
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Contributor
Silk
0 Kudos

I have just had a few days off work to catch up with chores etc. However I did have 3 books on the go- Micheal Faber, Patricia Cornwell and Nevil Shute and also started this week a Jodi Piccoult, Diane Setterfield.

They are all finished but my chores are not. I am slightly bereft not having anything to read to hand but will not be able to sleep without starting a new book tonight.
Contributor
Casperette
0 Kudos

A little bit of everything!  Currently I have been diving into the Chronicles of Narnia set and just finished book one a couple days ago.  I am reading the originals from C.S. Lewis and loved learning how the wardrobe actually came about and why the lamp post sits in Narnia yet today.  Great fun behind the movie facts!

I also have started the Barnes and Noble book club review of Songs For The missing by Stewart O' Nan.  I am excited to dive into that more and love that I get to be a part of reviewing it on line with a group. 

I am also about to dive into for the second time with my book club, Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult.  I read this last summer on my own and now my book club has chosen it for our June review.  I loved it the first time but find I am not really in the mood at this time to read it again as there are so many great books out there that I have yet to read!  May have to skim that one....  I did enjoy the book and have found Jodi Picoult to be an amazing author who I put up high on my top authors list.
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Alas, I'm afraid I am not reading anything remotely intellectual this week. My current read is Bobbie Faye's Very (very, very, very) Bad Day and I  I should say that I am rather enjoying it. It is an action packed romp through Cajun country (I'm only on Chapter 5 and so far I've encountered a house flood, kidnapping, bank robbery, tiara thievery, elusion from the police in a massive car chase, and near drowning). I would sort of describe it as a female type version of My Name is Earl.  Favorite line from the book so far:  There may have been screaming. (Not so funny out of context but it really made me laugh).

Oh, Ande, can I join your club?--the one that has all three of us that haven't read Eat, Love, Pray?
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

I still have no good reason for NOT reading it. Everyone I know has a copy to loan me. Eventually it will make its way into my pile.

Ande
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Ande, I can join that club too. Have had a copy for about a year now (a book store clerk talked me into buying it).
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

I wouldn't bet the ranch on my being able to read it anytime soon.
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

...just finished songs for the missing by stewart o'nan, the reluctant fundamentalist by mohsin hamid and wild girl by jim fergus. my next reads are we need to talk about kevin by lionel shriver, a pigeon and a boy by meir shalev and north river by pete hamill although not necessarily in that order.
twj
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Well ya'll, you've convinced me. I just spent money on on more books ("since I have absolutely nothing else to read at home" she types sarcastically). I just ordered Monique and the Mango Rains and A Kiss from Maddelena.

Message Edited by pjpick on 06-10-2008 01:17 PM
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:
Well ya'll, you've convinced me. I just spent money on on more books ("since I have absolutely nothing else to read at home" she types sarcastically). I just ordered Monique and the Mango Rains and A Kiss from Maddelena.

I read A Kiss From Maddelena last year, and truly enjoyed it... it takes place during WWII in Italy... when all hte young men are off to the front, and only the women and old men stay behind to keep home and hearth warm....  it reminded me so much of theItalian movies by Fellini and Vitorio Sica..... lovely story.

IBIS
IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Contributor
gregs317
0 Kudos

Hi all, this is my first post here. Actually, I just discovered this forum today, lol. Anyway, I'm currently reading "A Royal Duty" by Paul Burrell. It's really interesting - gives a good insight into Princess Diana's personal life, including her true feelings about life and being a part of the royal family. Also provides a first-hand account of someone who has been employed by the royal family. I'm about half-way through, so far.

Some books I've enjoyed in the past:
* A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty Smith
* Childhood and Other Neighborhoods: Stories, by Stuart Dybek
* The Secret Garden, by Frances Hodgson
* In a Sunburned Country, by Bill Bryson (both funny + educational about Australia)
* A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail, by Bill Bryson
* Stories From the Old Squire's Farm, by C.A. Stephens
* The Lilac Bus, by Maeve Binchy
* Round Ireland With a Fridge, by Tony Hawks
* anything by James Herriott - I love those animal stories.

A book I'm dying to start reading, lol - 'A Treasury of Royal Scandals', by Michael Farquhar.
If you've read any of these books or are interested in them, I'd love to hear your comments.

Greg 
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

gregs317 wrote:
Hi all, this is my first post here. Actually, I just discovered this forum today, lol. Anyway, I'm currently reading "A Royal Duty" by Paul Burrell. It's really interesting - gives a good insight into Princess Diana's personal life, including her true feelings about life and being a part of the royal family. Also provides a first-hand account of someone who has been employed by the royal family. I'm about half-way through, so far.

Some books I've enjoyed in the past:
* A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, by Betty Smith
* Childhood and Other Neighborhoods: Stories, by Stuart Dybek
* The Secret Garden, by Frances Hodgson
* In a Sunburned Country, by Bill Bryson (both funny + educational about Australia)
* A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail, by Bill Bryson
* Stories From the Old Squire's Farm, by C.A. Stephens
* The Lilac Bus, by Maeve Binchy
* Round Ireland With a Fridge, by Tony Hawks
* anything by James Herriott - I love those animal stories.

A book I'm dying to start reading, lol - 'A Treasury of Royal Scandals', by Michael Farquhar.
If you've read any of these books or are interested in them, I'd love to hear your comments.

Greg 

I just saw "A Royal Duty" at a book sale and hesitated before buying it. Now I wish I had.
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn was amazing, the book AND the movie. A Walk in the Woods is one of my favorites and I still plan to walk the Appalachian trail, if even for a day! Didn't make it through the Sunburned Country although it did scare me off of going to Australia!
We seem to have the same taste in books!
Contributor
gregs317
0 Kudos

Bill Bryson, I believe, is a truly gifted humor/travel writer. His words have made me literally laugh out loud on numerous occasions.

I'm not really into hiking, personally, but that's great that you want to hike the Appalachian Trail, even if just for a day.

PS, has anyone here read Angela's Ashes? I'm still on the fence about whether or not to add it to my list. Greg
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

gregs317 wrote:
Bill Bryson, I believe, is a truly gifted humor/travel writer. His words have made me literally laugh out loud on numerous occasions.

I'm not really into hiking, personally, but that's great that you want to hike the Appalachian Trail, even if just for a day.

PS, has anyone here read Angela's Ashes? I'm still on the fence about whether or not to add it to my list. Greg

I laughed out loud many times while reading A Walk in the Woods. It's such a feel good book!
Funny you should bring up Angela's Ashes, another all-time favorite of mine. Yes, read it!!! Not only "Angela", read all of Frank McCourt's books. Tis, Teacher man, I even read Malachy McCourt's A Monk Swimming. You have a lot to look forward to!
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Picked up Amagansette by Mark Mills for travel to a conference. Not quite halfway through it but I'm enjoying it.  It seems to be very character driven with a little bit of murder mystery and romance thrown in. Has anyone out there read it? I bought it because I knew nothing about it (and I liked the print type--one of my idiosyncrasies).
Contributor
gregs317
0 Kudos

hey y'all, I just found another book to add to my list. It's called 'Queen of the Road', about a husband/wife both of whom are psychiatrists, going on a road-trip in a bus with 2 cats, a dog, and 200 shoes, haha. They travel through 48 states, including an unexpected stop at a nudist RV park. It looks hilarious, and it's by Doreen Orion. I'm also about to start 'The Handmaid's Tale' which looks excellent, as well. Happy reading, Greg
Blogger
ande
0 Kudos

Greg:

I'll be eager to hear what you think of the Handmaid's Tale. It's a futuristic look at a very present-day hot-button cultural/political issue. The writing is extraordinary, the story is haunting. Years later I think of it often -- especially everytime I pass the brick wall in Harvard Yard.

Ande
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

I've been trying to read Ladies of Liberty for the History Book Club but it's slow going. I picked up Love you Ronnie, Ronald Reagans love letters to Nancy and I find it very sweet and comforting. I'm listening to Winston Churchill's My Early years on tape in preparation for reading it with the History Book Club June 30. It's fun listening to it being read with a verrry proper British accent.
Frequent Contributor
flyjo9
0 Kudos

I am so glad to read that someone other than me enjoys this fine novel.  I think it's one of the best books I read last year and I will probably purchase it at some point to reread in future.  I might try the other book about Turkey you mention.  Thank you.