Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Hometowns

[ Edited ]
In Bridge of Sighs, and in Russo's other books as well, we're given a full picture of the hometown of the characters.

What do Lucy's descriptions of Thomaston [pp.9–11] tell us about him and his family?

And think about your own hometown. How did that setting impact your life, your view of the world?

Message Edited by Jessica on 10-26-2007 03:55 PM
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
0 Kudos

Re: Hometowns

Jessica & All--

I thought about my hometown growing up as I was reading this book. We also had those sections where particular groups of people lived. It's not the same anymore.

Later--

Mair
Contributor
Pgibbs2341
0 Kudos

Being from a small town myself and sharing the strong opposition to ever leave (like Lucy) brought up many thoughts as I read. Having just lost my Father recently, I sympathized and connected with Lucy's character. Hometowns certainly shape and effect us until our dying days. I believe that we are all internally (age 12-99) 12 years old anyway, and our bodies are the only part of the equation refusing to cooperate. We remember experiences had, good and bad, from childhood and the background they are set against is small town USA. I loved my childhood and my experiences in my hometown and choose to live here to this day. Although unlike Lucy, I REALLY want to go to Italy some day!!!
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Pgibbs2341 wrote:
Being from a small town myself and sharing the strong opposition to ever leave (like Lucy) brought up many thoughts as I read. Having just lost my Father recently, I sympathized and connected with Lucy's character. Hometowns certainly shape and effect us until our dying days. I believe that we are all internally (age 12-99) 12 years old anyway, and our bodies are the only part of the equation refusing to cooperate. We remember experiences had, good and bad, from childhood and the background they are set against is small town USA. I loved my childhood and my experiences in my hometown and choose to live here to this day. Although unlike Lucy, I REALLY want to go to Italy some day!!!

Hi PG

I think you're right about how our hometowns shape our values. I also grew up in a small town (well, a small suburb). Even though I've been gone for a long time, I sometimes look at the good times I had there as the way things "should be" today (kids running free all over the street, climbing trees, playing in creeks, kickball after dark, a lot of neighborly concern for each other). I live in the city now, and even though it has a lot to offer kids, it's just a different reality for them. Can't really climb a tree growing in a planter on 6th Ave.

PS - So sorry to hear about your father!
Users Online
Currently online:4 members 433 guests
Recent logins:
Please welcome our newest community members: