Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Introduce Yourself

Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group, and to share your first impressions of Bridge of Sighs.
New User
FLbookworm
0 Kudos

Re: Introduce Yourself

Did I miss something . . . was it ever clear who was having sex when Lucy was in the hole?
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

FLbookworm wrote:
Did I miss something . . . was it ever clear who was having sex when Lucy was in the hole?

Hi FLbookworm

Welcome to the conversation. After reading the book, I feel like Lucy's whole saga is much more complicated than I initially thought, don't you?

Just to note: many people may not have finished reading the book yet, so watch out for giving away any "story spoilers" in these early posts.

Thanks!
New User
Lizabet
0 Kudos

I just finished this book and was curious to hear other reader's comments. I'm new to this internet format. In reply to the question about who is outside the trunk... I'm not sure it matters. It's more about who Lucy believes is outside the trunk or is capable of being outside the trunk.
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Lizabet wrote:
I just finished this book and was curious to hear other reader's comments. I'm new to this internet format. In reply to the question about who is outside the trunk... I'm not sure it matters. It's more about who Lucy believes is outside the trunk or is capable of being outside the trunk.

Hi Lizabet,
Hopefully some more folks will show up here soon, and we can get a discussion going. I thought Bridge of Sighs was a great read! For now, since you've read the whole book, let's chat in the The Book as a Whole thread.
Thanks!
Contributor
lovetoread
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:
Reply to this message to introduce yourself to the group, and to share your first impressions of Bridge of Sighs.

I loved this book. The writing is wonderful! Richard Russo's characterizations of small town America and striving to attain the American dream are so profound.

I am telling everyone I know to read it.
Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

lovetoread wrote I loved this book. The writing is wonderful! Richard Russo's characterizations of small town America and striving to attain the American dream are so profound. I am telling everyone I know to read it.

Hi Lovetoread,

I liked this one too, although I'm a fan of Russo's in general. I think I liked Straight Man even better then Empire Falls (which won the Pulitzer).

What was your favorite scene from the book? As I read, I kept returning to that early scene, where he's bullied by the group of boys from the public school. This event seems to be a cornerstone (howevery shaky) for Lucy's personal issues later in life.

Have you read any of Russo's other books?
Contributor
Pgibbs2341
0 Kudos

The book is fantastic!! The way Russo weaves a gentle tapestry of small town tales is brilliant! I am telling everyone I know to read it. I sound like a commercial! But, I mean every word. I am so glad there is a message board for the book. I am looking forward to participating and reading all of the entries.

Thanks.
Users Online
Currently online: 41 members 241 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: