Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

The Bridge of Sighs in Venice

[ Edited ]
For those of you who don't know, in Venice, Italy, there is an actual bridge called "the bridge of sighs." (Read a bit about it on Wikipedia.) Has anyone been to Venice and seen the bridge itself?

Lucy talks about the bridge: “Crossing this bridge, the convicts -- at least the ones without money or influence -- came to understand that all hope was lost” [p. 320].

How does the historical function of the bridge, as well as the myths surrounding it, relate to characters’ lives?

As you read the book, in light of this information, consider what the title means to the story.

Message Edited by Jessica on 11-07-2007 04:51 PM
Contributor
Pgibbs2341
0 Kudos

Re: The BRIDGES of Sighs in Venice/Thomaston

Did anyone notice the book cover art for the Bridge of Sighs? The bridge on the cover is split in two. One half is the Bridge of Sighs in Venice and the other half is the bridge from Lucy's childhood in Thomaston. Pretty neat. I didn't notice it until I looked at the cover closely.
Frequent Contributor
mairwill
0 Kudos

Pgibbs2341 wrote:
Did anyone notice the book cover art for the Bridge of Sighs? The bridge on the cover is split in two. One half is the Bridge of Sighs in Venice and the other half is the bridge from Lucy's childhood in Thomaston. Pretty neat. I didn't notice it until I looked at the cover closely.

All--

It's funny that you mentioned this. I just noticed it tonight as I was finishing the book and really looked at the cover closely.

The footbridge that was so instrumental in Lou's problems was like the Bridge of Sighs--once you crossed both, your former life was a thing of the past.

Later--

Mair
Contributor
Pgibbs2341
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I did the same when I finished Bridge of Sighs. I didn't want it to end so badly that I just stared at the cover hoping a new chapter would pop out or something. That is when I noticed the cover too!! Great minds...

Message Edited by Pgibbs2341 on 11-12-2007 02:40 PM
Users Online
Currently online: 39 members 1,131 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: