Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
nietzschefan
0 Kudos

I know that the theme of 1984 is science fiction... however, I feel that it fits in with British Classics as well.

I want to read the book, and was wondering if anyone would like to read it with me and form a book group/discussion. I want to gain many perspectives on the book itself for a breakthrough project -- I'll discuss it later if any are interested in collaborating with me and reading the book together. And I'll also reveal a segment of a blog that I have written, which correlates with my project.

If any are interested, I'd like to start reading the book by sometime next week.
Contributor
bellsofireland
0 Kudos

Re: 1984

I replied to this in the "American Classics" section, but for some reason my reply is no longer there.  Or perhaps it never got posted, through some technical error.

Anyway, what I said was that I re-read 1984 quite recently, and that while I have no desire to pick it up again so soon (I read it again about 2 months ago), I would gladly discuss it with you as you read it.  There are many interesting aspects of 1984, it's a good one to discuss.
There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all. ~Oscar Wilde
Contributor
nietzschefan
0 Kudos

Perfect! Let me refer you to my blog... it's part of this whole project/analysis of the novel and Apple - the technological mastermind of... technology.

I talk briefly about 1984, but only based on summary of what I've been told about the novel... but now I would like to read it.

Here is my thesis, as ludicrous as it sounds, it is my theory: I believe that Apple is following 1984's ideals of [governmental] control. More on the topic is in the most recent post on my blog discussing Apple. http://www.heatherstheories.blogspot.com

Let me know what you think of it, and I'll post back around next week... with what I've read of 1984. And thank you for aiding me with my analysis project!

-Heather
Contributor
bellsofireland
0 Kudos

Just a thought....shouldn't you wait to have a thesis involving 1984 until after you've read 1984?  And also, if you're against Apple, you might want to look into their environmental standards, I've heard those are not good.
There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all. ~Oscar Wilde
Contributor
nietzschefan
0 Kudos

Touche. I guess thesis is too technical of a term then... perhaps "hunch" would have been better suited. I'm going by my hunch to develop a thesis.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 59 members 265 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: