Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
prince_alfie
0 Kudos

Anyone wishing to cover V. Woolf's The Voyage Out?

I want to read this book as a community if anyone else wants to...
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: Anyone wishing to cover V. Woolf's The Voyage Out?

prince_alfie wrote:

Hi Prince A,
I'm happy to see you've joined this club. I would love to moderate A Voyage Out book club soon. I will bring it up with people here at B&N, and it'll be on our list of requests.
We're just now launching Kafka and The Jungle as our January featured Classics. I hope you join us in either.
Ilana

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Does this mean that in the British Classics section we are giving up on the suggestions for North & South, Paradise Lost and Utopia? Twelfth Night appears to have stumbled and presumably will be replaced by Midsummer Night's Dream? I still think there are far too many irons in the fire Ilana:smileysad:

And is there any more news of a European Book Club to discuss Dante, Zola, Tolstoy, et al?

IlanaSimons wrote:

prince_alfie wrote:

Hi Prince A,
I'm happy to see you've joined this club. I would love to moderate A Voyage Out book club soon. I will bring it up with people here at B&N, and it'll be on our list of requests.
We're just now launching Kafka and The Jungle as our January featured Classics. I hope you join us in either.
Ilana

Message Edited by Choisya on 12-29-200612:32 PM

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Choisya wrote:
Does this mean that in the British Classics section we are giving up on the suggestions for North & South, Paradise Lost and Utopia? Twelfth Night appears to have stumbled and presumably will be replaced by Midsummer Night's Dream? I still think there are far too many irons in the fire Ilana:smileysad:

And is there any more news of a European Book Club to discuss Dante, Zola, Tolstoy, et al?

IlanaSimons wrote:

prince_alfie wrote:

Hi Prince A,
Ilana

Message Edited by Choisya on 12-29-200612:32 PM

We won't burn too many irons at once. Classics features two books a month (Jungle and Kafka are here for January), alongside our onrunning British and American clubs. A Voyage Out is a great suggestion for the hopper. We'll eventually get to most of these great ideas.
steady ahead
Ilana

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 12-29-200612:50 PM

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For Choisya: TWELFTH NIGHT and NORTH AND SOUTH

[ Edited ]
Choisya, the TN discussion will continue as long as we keep it going. I posted some messages just before Christmas (you can see them easily in the threaded view) and I'd still like to hear your thoughts: I asked you a question about tosspots (message linked here), for example. Even when only two people carry on a discussion, others are often drawn in when they read something they find particularly interesting, so please join me again!

I still plan to start the N&S discussion on schedule, next week.

Choisya wrote:

Message Edited by pmath on 12-29-200609:07 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
ABSOLUTELY, as a matter of fact I am reading the book right now!
:-))
ziki

PS
Nice cover on the B&N classic!

Message Edited by ziki on 12-30-200603:22 AM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: For Choisya: TWELFTH NIGHT and NORTH AND SOUTH

Sorry pmath, I am afraid I have lost interest and do not find the discussion interesting when there are only two participants - unlike dear ziki who gamely persisted with the Moderator and herself in Thirteen Moons. Like you, I also posted messages which gained no response. IMO this is a result of having too many books up for discussion. I hope that the 'official' Shakespeare offering of Midsummer Night's Dream fares better.

Re Tosspot: I do not know of the Mumming derivation. To toss is to throw away lightly. It is a word which has been in use since the 16th century but has no known origin. Tosspot is a rude word applied to heavy drinkers and worse. The word pot is often added to English words in a derogatory way: pot-belly, balm-pot (mad); pot-head (marijuana user). 'Going to pot' is 'to deteriorate or to be ruined'.

pmath wrote:
Choisya, the TN discussion will continue as long as we keep it going. I posted some messages just before Christmas (you can see them easily in the threaded view) and I'd still like to hear your thoughts: I asked you a question about tosspots
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For Choisya: Dialogue

[ Edited ]
I love dialogue! Thanks for information on tosspot: the origin of the word seems uncertain.

Choisya wrote:
Sorry pmath, I am afraid I have lost interest and do not find the discussion interesting when there are only two participants - unlike dear ziki who gamely persisted with the Moderator and herself in Thirteen Moons. Like you, I also posted messages which gained no response. IMO this is a result of having too many books up for discussion. I hope that the 'official' Shakespeare offering of Midsummer Night's Dream fares better.

pmath wrote:
Choisya, the TN discussion will continue as long as we keep it going. I posted some messages just before Christmas (you can see them easily in the threaded view) and I'd still like to hear your thoughts: I asked you a question about tosspots (message linked here), for example. Even when only two people carry on a discussion, others are often drawn in when they read something they find particularly interesting, so please join me again!

Message Edited by pmath on 12-31-200601:59 AM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: For Choisya: Dialogue

Unfortunately, I am not enough of a Shakespeare scholar to keep this dialogue going pmath although I appreciate your efforts to do so. It is a pity that others who had specifically requested a Shakespeare discussion have not joined in but perhaps the holidays have intervened.

pmath wrote:
I love dialogue! Thanks for information on tosspot: the origin of the word seems uncertain.

Choisya wrote:

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For Choisya: Shakespeare

My guess is that Twelfth Night isn't a favorite among Americans. It's a very British play, and from our discussion, it seems familiarity with British culture is required to fully appreciate it. I expect Much Ado About Nothing would draw a larger crowd, because of the popularity of Kenneth Branagh's film.

In any case, there was relatively little activity in the BNU Shakespeare courses, and there was an instructor to drive the discussion!

Choisya wrote:
It is a pity that others who had specifically requested a Shakespeare discussion have not joined in but perhaps the holidays have intervened.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: For Choisya: Shakespeare

[ Edited ]
My guess is that Twelfth Night isn't a favorite among Americans. It's a very British play, and from our discussion, it seems familiarity with British culture is required to fully appreciate it.

That may be for some people, but isn't my experience. I have participated in several on-line discussions of Twelfth Night with primarily American readers with excellent insights.

In my case, since BN announced an "official" Shakespeare reading group, I decided to wait for that group to form before starting to discuss Shakepeare. For me, this is a better expression of appreciation for their listening and responding to this user request. When Twelfth Night comes up in their rotation, I look forward to discussing it enthusiastically with you and other interested readers.

However, of course others are free to respond differently if they choose.

Message Edited by Everyman on 01-01-200709:57 PM

0 Kudos

That's interesting pmath - hadn't thought of the British connection nor did I know that the former Shakespeare discussions were not very active. Why do you suppose that B&N here have decided to have a Shakespeare club then? Do you suppose that their choice of Midsummer Night's Dream will do well or that the comedies will do better than the tragedies?

pmath wrote:
My guess is that Twelfth Night isn't a favorite among Americans. It's a very British play, and from our discussion, it seems familiarity with British culture is required to fully appreciate it. I expect Much Ado About Nothing would draw a larger crowd, because of the popularity of Kenneth Branagh's film.

In any case, there was relatively little activity in the BNU Shakespeare courses, and there was an instructor to drive the discussion!

Choisya wrote:
It is a pity that others who had specifically requested a Shakespeare discussion have not joined in but perhaps the holidays have intervened.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Shakespeare at BNU/BNBC

I don't really know: there wasn't much activity in either of the courses, for the comedies or the tragedies. Perhaps many people would like to read a Shakespeare play, but find it takes too much time, because they have to read so many notes as well. The plays certainly call for close reading!

Choisya wrote:
That's interesting pmath - hadn't thought of the British connection nor did I know that the former Shakespeare discussions were not very active. Why do you suppose that B&N here have decided to have a Shakespeare club then? Do you suppose that their choice of Midsummer Night's Dream will do well or that the comedies will do better than the tragedies?

pmath wrote:

Choisya wrote:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

It surprises me to hear you say that. Perhaps you only participated in the later iterations of those courses. They were offered a number of times, at least once a year for at least five years. I participated in some of the early times they were offered, and the classes were very active with some excellent insights. By the fourth or fifth time they were offered, though, I, and I suspect others, of the early participants had had their says and moved on to other courses, so perhaps they were less active then.

I don't know how active the S discussions will be here. Many of the participants in BNU who were most active either haven't shown up here at the Book Clubs, or have chosen not to participate, so you may be right that the discussion here will not be as active as it was on BNU. Curtis hasn't shown up here; he was always an excellent participant in the Shakespeare group several different times. AndreaChicago, Andrea L, Robert, Jane, Sara (who took Comedies at leat twice), Steph (who also took it at least twice), Linda from Japan apparently aren't around, or if they are they either aren't posting or are are posting under different names, though I don't see anything I recognize of their styles of posting.

But to suggest that the Shakespeare courses on BNU weren't very active certainly doesn't accord with my experience in those early offerings of the courses.
0 Kudos

Re: Shakespeare : Curtis

Curtis has not been at all well but may show up here in the New Year.
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

I'm planning on being in the A Midsummer's Night's Dream discussion. I was too overwhelmed to read and join in the Twelfth Night discussion. There were too many other book discussions going on and too much disorganization, as I posted previously.

Denise
Frequent Contributor
Katelyn
0 Kudos

prince_alfie wrote:

Prince Alfie,

I would be interested post-January. Also, if anyone out there is interested in Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain let me know.

Kate
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Mann would come under European Classics and we have been asking for B&N to set up a section for these. Hopefully they will do so sometime later this year.

Katelyn wrote:

prince_alfie wrote:

Prince Alfie,

I would be interested post-January. Also, if anyone out there is interested in Thomas Mann's The Magic Mountain let me know.

Kate

Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

prince_alfie wrote:

I would definitely be interested in covering "The Voyage Out", but since there are already so many books covered, it might be better to concentrate on those first and make suggestions for February or March...Couldn't we consider that the January program is already settled? Moreover, some of us need time to order books well in advance when they don't have a bookstore in English next door...
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Good point Danielle and you may not be the only person who is living in a country where books in English are not so easy to obtain. I agree that there are quite enough books up for discussion on the boards at the moment without adding to the list and 'diluting' the readership.

chadadanielleKR wrote:

prince_alfie wrote:

I would definitely be interested in covering "The Voyage Out", but since there are already so many books covered, it might be better to concentrate on those first and make suggestions for February or March...Couldn't we consider that the January program is already settled? Moreover, some of us need time to order books well in advance when they don't have a bookstore in English next door...

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 424 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: