Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
PerfidiousAlbion
0 Kudos

Brontes to Gaskell to Dickens to Collins to Conan Doyle to Gissing--Wow!

I love 19th C authors especially those authors listed above. Is anything better losing oneself in another time and place? My favorite 19th C. authors begin and end with the Bronte sisters, hands down.

Last December I visited The Bronte Parsonage...it was awe inspiring. To actually see before my eyes first editions of Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall was too much to comprehend.

After reading everything I could on the Brontes for the past 20 years, and especially Juliet Barker's in-depth biography I was mesmerized when I entered the Parsonage. I still prefer Elizabeth Gaskell's "The Life of Charlotte Bronte"---in addition to Gaskell's own books.

And English mysteries are superior, wouldn't you agree? Even an American writer such as Elizabeth George can create beautiful prose with her wonderful books set in England. Her protagonist Chief Inspector Lynley and the enigmatic Barbara Havers--who is the draw for me to keep reading----the author's extensive vocabulary, the descriptions of various places throughout the Kingdom and her cleverly crafted mysteries are just fantastic!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Brontes to Gaskell to Dickens to Collins to Conan Doyle to Gissing--Wow!

As a lover of the Brontes, are you aware that we have just started a discussion of Anne Bronte's Agnes Grey in the Literature by Women book group here on B&N? Come join us!

PerfidiousAlbion wrote:
I love 19th C authors especially those authors listed above. Is anything better losing oneself in another time and place? My favorite 19th C. authors begin and end with the Bronte sisters, hands down.

Last December I visited The Bronte Parsonage...it was awe inspiring. To actually see before my eyes first editions of Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, The Tenant of Wildfell Hall was too much to comprehend.

After reading everything I could on the Brontes for the past 20 years, and especially Juliet Barker's in-depth biography I was mesmerized when I entered the Parsonage. I still prefer Elizabeth Gaskell's "The Life of Charlotte Bronte"---in addition to Gaskell's own books.

And English mysteries are superior, wouldn't you agree? Even an American writer such as Elizabeth George can create beautiful prose with her wonderful books set in England. Her protagonist Chief Inspector Lynley and the enigmatic Barbara Havers--who is the draw for me to keep reading----the author's extensive vocabulary, the descriptions of various places throughout the Kingdom and her cleverly crafted mysteries are just fantastic!

0 Kudos

Re: Brontes to Gaskell to Dickens to Collins to Conan Doyle to Gissing--Wow!

[ Edited ]
Yes, do join us!

I hope you have also read some biographical literature which is post-Gaskell, like Lock & Dixons Man of Sorrow : Life, Letters & Times of Patrick Bronte and Winifred Gerin's biography of Branwell Bronte (which is worth comparing with Daphne Du Maurier's novel The Infernal World of Branwell Bronte.  The lives of the father and the brother throw another light on the sisters. 

(My most lasting memory of the Parsonage at Haworth, which I know well, is that of Charlotte's adult 'best' dress which would fit an 11 year old very thin, possibly anorexic, child of today.  It was very sad:smileysad:. )    

Everyman wrote:
As a lover of the Brontes, are you aware that we have just started a discussion of Anne Bronte's Agnes Grey in the Literature by Women book group here on B&N? Come join us!

PerfidiousAlbion wrote:

Message Edited by Choisya on 07-03-2008 01:04 PM
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 51 members 980 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: