Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: For Laurel: April/May Discussion of MANSFIELD PARK

IlanaSimons wrote:

Laurel wrote:

pmath wrote:
Thanks, L! Yes, and in this case, we could also read and discuss Mansfield Park slowly, one chapter per day (there are 48 altogether), so those who would like to participate in both discussions can comfortably do so, if they wish.

Laurel wrote:
Utopia with Pmath sounds great to me. Will that be in March, and then Paradise Lost begins in April? Paradise Lost should take at least twelve weeks--a week per book. Having something lighter at the same time is a good idea, I think. Perhaps have only Paradise Lost the first two weeks in April, along with the selections that Ilana and Bob will do, and then add an Austen the third week of April. Not everyone will make it all the way through Paradise Lost the first time, but we should all try at least the first two books.

I think it would work. That way, people who come in a little late would not feel that they could never catch up. Let's see what Ilana thinks.

This sounds ok to me. Let's keep it as a tentative schedule and re-pole the crowds in late March. Does everyone agree? Everyman, you're leading PL, so you should chime in too, if this sounds ok.
But we'll certainly retest the waters in late march or early april.
Ilana

I'm comfortable with flexibility. We'll start with Paradise Lost as the only reader-moderated book, then if in a few weeks there is support for adding a slow read of Mansfield Park, that could be started then as long as people think that adding another read won't dilute interest in the other reads, including the official book club selections.

BTW, Laurel is co-moderating PL, and may well be carrying the brunt of the load depending on how my medical situation develops. But she's certainly well able to moderate the discussion even if I'm out of commission for part of the time.

But Laurel, I have to chide you suggesting that some people may not get through PL. With your leadership and encouragement, I have no doubt at all that everyone will be reading eagerly to the very lasts word!

If we do do the double read, at the end of the process we can see whether people prefer what we have been doing up to now, one reader-moderated book at a time with a relatively short time span, or whether they prefer two simultaneously books stretched out more. The two-at-a-time may lend itself to doing one heavier and one lighter book together, but first let's see what the reaction is and whether people have the time and interest for multiple reader-moderated reads.

My only concern is that we don't want the reader-moderated book discussions to occupy so much time and energy that they detract from the official BNBC selections. So I think your idea is good, Ilana, that we poll readers before starting Mansfield Park to make sure people think they have the time and energy to add another book without detracting from their participation elsewhere in BNBC.
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

IlanaSimons wrote:

Laurel wrote:

pmath wrote:
Thanks, L! Yes, and in this case, we could also read and discuss Mansfield Park slowly, one chapter per day (there are 48 altogether), so those who would like to participate in both discussions can comfortably do so, if they wish.

Laurel wrote:
Utopia with Pmath sounds great to me. Will that be in March, and then Paradise Lost begins in April? Paradise Lost should take at least twelve weeks--a week per book. Having something lighter at the same time is a good idea, I think. Perhaps have only Paradise Lost the first two weeks in April, along with the selections that Ilana and Bob will do, and then add an Austen the third week of April. Not everyone will make it all the way through Paradise Lost the first time, but we should all try at least the first two books.

I think it would work. That way, people who come in a little late would not feel that they could never catch up. Let's see what Ilana thinks.

This sounds ok to me. Let's keep it as a tentative schedule and re-pole the crowds in late March. Does everyone agree? Everyman, you're leading PL, so you should chime in too, if this sounds ok.
Ilana

I'm comfortable with flexibility. We'll start with Paradise Lost as the only reader-moderated book, then if in a few weeks there is support for adding a slow read of Mansfield Park, that could be started then as long as people think that adding another read won't dilute interest in the other reads, including the official book club selections.

BTW, Laurel is co-moderating PL, and may well be carrying the brunt of the load depending on how my medical situation develops. But she's certainly well able to moderate the discussion even if I'm out of commission for part of the time.

But Laurel, I have to chide you suggesting that some people may not get through PL. With your leadership and encouragement, I have no doubt at all that everyone will be reading eagerly to the very lasts word!

If we do do the double read, at the end of the process we can see whether people prefer what we have been doing up to now, one reader-moderated book at a time with a relatively short time span, or whether they prefer two simultaneously books stretched out more. The two-at-a-time may lend itself to doing one heavier and one lighter book together, but first let's see what the reaction is and whether people have the time and interest for multiple reader-moderated reads.

My only concern is that we don't want the reader-moderated book discussions to occupy so much time and energy that they detract from the official BNBC selections. So I think your idea is good, Ilana, that we poll readers before starting Mansfield Park to make sure people think they have the time and energy to add another book without detracting from their participation elsewhere in BNBC.

We'll probably want a poll closer to the time to see how many people want to read Paradise Lost, too. But here's a testimonial: It was a bit hard for me to get into it the first time through, but I was with a great group, and once I got started I was more and more fascinated by it. I pulled out my marked-up book the other day (the Norton Critical Edition, which has excellent footnotes and supplementary material) and started reading, and I didn't want to put it down. Then I started listening to my recording and was overwhelmed by the beauty of the language--and I understood what I was listening to! I was so glad that I had had people to cheer me on the first time through, because now I have a keeper.

Here's the book I used:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&bnit=H&bnrefer=BRITISHCLASSICS&EAN=9...

I see this edition is not available new anymore, but you can get a great bargain on a used one if you hurry. The newer Norton is probably excellent as well and comes very highly recommended:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&bnit=H&bnrefer=BRITISHCLASSICS&EAN=9...

It would probably be good for some to have one and some the other.

I have ordered the B&N edition, but only just, so I don't know yet how many helps it has. I ordered the hardcover one, because it's even cheaper than the paperback for B&N members:

I really think it is a wonderful idea to have it on CD, too, so you can hear the wonderful organ strains of Milton's song. Here again is the great bargain on CD:

I can hardly wait!
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Laurel wrote: We'll probably want a poll closer to the time to see how many people want to read Paradise Lost, too.

That makes sense. We had a number of expressions of interest initially, but if only the two of us are interested now, there's not much benefit in putting it on.

But I endorse your enthusiasm for it. Yes, it can be challenging at first, which is why we will be taking it slowly and reading in a group to help encourage each of on. But the magnificence of both his vision and his language are extraordinary, and totally worth immersing oneself in. I, too, have both several text versions and the audio version, and I agree that reading and listening are both rich but also quite different experiences. I would encourage anybody who can to do get both. If you have an ipod, you can download the book as an ebook from at least one site. I don't know whether B&N offers the ebook, so won't name the source publicly since it would be a competitor, but if you're interested, send Laurel or me a private message and we can give you the source.

Although there are obvious Christian overtones to the book, it really can be read and enjoyed by agnostics, atheists, or any of any other religion just for the interplay of the characters and the wonderful, rich, vibrant language and erudition.
0 Kudos

For Liz: Length and Start Date of MANSFIELD PARK Discussion

What do you think, Liz? Would you rather wait until May, and discuss MP for about a month (as we discussed N&S and are now discussing P&P) instead?

IlanaSimons wrote:

Laurel wrote:

pmath wrote:

Laurel wrote:
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: For Liz: Length and Start Date of MANSFIELD PARK Discussion ; Voting?

[ Edited ]
I think having a vote for all the reader moderated book sugggestions would be a good idea because that would ensure having a reasonable number of readers in the book discussion democratically decided upon. Perhaps we should have a 'Voting Thread for British (European?) Classics' where we could post our preferences as to titles and order of reading. These to be counted up at the end of a fortnight?

I think it is important too that we try to keep a balance of 'light and dark', 'easy and difficult' and so we should think about that when we vote.

Message Edited by Choisya on 02-18-200708:31 AM

Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Voting?

The idea of a thread for possible discussions & voting sounds like a good idea. It maybe also be a good idea to then keep a calendar thread, where once we've decided on a topic, it can be listed here with the month/dates of the scheduled read.

Choisya wrote:
I think having a vote for all the reader moderated book sugggestions would be a good idea because that would ensure having a reasonable number of readers in the book discussion democratically decided upon. Perhaps we should have a 'Voting Thread for British (European?) Classics' where we could post our preferences as to titles and order of reading. These to be counted up at the end of a fortnight?

I think it is important too that we try to keep a balance of 'light and dark', 'easy and difficult' and so we should think about that when we vote.

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Mansfield Park & Paradise Lost

Reading Austen always sound good to me. :smileyhappy: Just let me know when to be there, and I will be ~ with bells ringing!

I also like Laurel's idea of taking time with Paradise Lost. I never read it at all, and I'll be the novice of the group. :smileytongue: It sounds a bit intimidating, and I'm a bit apprehensive of joining you all in that discussion.

If PL is going to take that much time, it may be a good idea to add another discussion. After all, I know that I do more than one discussion a month now, as I know several of you do as well.

pmath wrote:
What do you think, Liz? Would you rather wait until May, and discuss MP for about a month (as we discussed N&S and are now discussing P&P) instead?

IlanaSimons wrote:

Laurel wrote:

pmath wrote:

Laurel wrote:

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: British Classics Discussions

I have no possibility to follow in these "pmath initiated" discussions however much I'd like to do that. I am alredy N&S and P&P after and yet I ordered the books. This might be a dream situations for BN, buying more and more books. Maybe that fast reading pace suits those who read very quickly or already know the books but I also want to follow the discussons that BN initiates.... so I simply didn't have the time and yet I partcipate in many books each month.

Just saying how it is for me...you carry on as you find fit .....that is totally OK with me. I've got the Paradise Lost now but I can say it is not a book that I'll be able to read in two weeks that much is sure. Two months sound more doable.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Scheduling & length of PARADISE LOST Discussion

I for one am not shy nor interested in moderating anything. However, I think Everyman had a point. It can be really overpowering for many, the speed here is too fast for me and the discussion involves just a few people. However, I think if there is energy just move with it. I am glad pmath and Liz want to do this. It is one of the possibilities of the new forum. But technicaly it gets very dificult to handle I must say. I am spending far more time logged on than I ever had to just to get through the posts.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

IlanaSimons wrote: Let's keep it as a tentative schedule and re-pole the crowds in late March. Does everyone agree? Everyman, you're leading PL, so you should chime in too, if this sounds ok.
Ilana

sounds OK to me

ziki
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: For Liz: Length and Start Date of MANSFIELD PARK Discussion ; Voting?

Oh, I love doing things fortnightly! I don't know why fortnights didn't make it into American English.

Choisya wrote:

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: Mansfield Park & Paradise Lost

Liz, with your brilliance you'll have no problem at all with Paradise Lost. It can be read on several levels and for a lifetime, but I think we should just take it a section at a time and get the best things from each section.

LizzieAnn wrote:
Reading Austen always sound good to me. :smileyhappy: Just let me know when to be there, and I will be ~ with bells ringing!

I also like Laurel's idea of taking time with Paradise Lost. I never read it at all, and I'll be the novice of the group. :smileytongue: It sounds a bit intimidating, and I'm a bit apprehensive of joining you all in that discussion.

If PL is going to take that much time, it may be a good idea to add another discussion. After all, I know that I do more than one discussion a month now, as I know several of you do as well.

pmath wrote:

IlanaSimons wrote:

Laurel wrote:

pmath wrote:

Laurel wrote:

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

We were thinking twelve weeks, ziki, not two. Why don't you just follow along with what we do for Book 1 to get your feet wet, and then you can go back to it sometime later. You'll love the poetry of it, and also the philosophical thinking it will encourage.

ziki wrote:
I have no possibility to follow in these "pmath initiated" discussions however much I'd like to do that. I am alredy N&S and P&P after and yet I ordered the books. This might be a dream situations for BN, buying more and more books. Maybe that fast reading pace suits those who read very quickly or already know the books but I also want to follow the discussons that BN initiates.... so I simply didn't have the time and yet I partcipate in many books each month.

Just saying how it is for me...you carry on as you find fit .....that is totally OK with me. I've got the Paradise Lost now but I can say it is not a book that I'll be able to read in two weeks that much is sure. Two months sound more doable.

ziki

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Hello I'm new here

Hi Katie, welcome.

ziki :-)
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

RCM

Hi RCM, welcome.
I hope you find your cozy corner here on BN forum and some new net friends, too, who will,make the reading even more fun! Jump right in!

ziki :-)
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

mix

pmath wrote:The main problem is that we're not discussing P&P on a dedicated board, so the discussions threads can easily get lost and forgotten, with other British Classics threads still being active.

That is definitely a disadvantage when different books get mixed up, I agree with you. I see no solution.....but Bob managed to separate Moby Dick and that was a great luck for us all. If all these books get bundled into a general discussion it will make it pretty impossible to handle, plus very old posts get mixed with new ones etc.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Paradise Lost

Laurel wrote:Not everyone will make it all the way through Paradise Lost the first time, but we should all try at least the first two books.

That is to plan fo failure..if I start something I'd like to finish it.

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

new readers

I am also thinking about the new people who join the boards: it may be difficult for them to jump right into this rather homogeneous group of readers that 'know' each other and that are just moving on in such a compact way.
ziki
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Mansfield Park & Paradise Lost

LizzieAnn wrote: I never read it at all, and I'll be the novice of the group. It sounds a bit intimidating, and I'm a bit apprehensive of joining you all in that discussion.

Piffle, if you'll excuse the expression. You'll be fantastic there as you are everywhere. Once you get into PL, you realize that the sense of intimidation is more ephemeral than real.

Poetry is much older, and much more ingrained into the human psyche than prose. Prose fiction (as opposed to history, philosophy, etc.) is a relative recent development. Once you get back to your more primitive self you'll quickly get into reading epic poetry.

One thing we should all keep in mind is that epic poetry is a very different thing from lyric poetry. I'll get more into this in the PL thread, but for the time being think of PL (and other epics) as novels in verse, not as poems in the way we normally think of poetry.
0 Kudos

That's why we're planning an extended read of PL; to make sure that people can find time in their busy lives to keep up with the reading and discussion. The discussion will be going on for twelve weeks, so no need to feel rushed through this magnificent work.

I look forward to your participation there.

ziki wrote:

ziki

Users Online
Currently online: 61 members 705 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: