Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: I'm staying up until midnight:)

Happy birthday, Choisya!
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Your Special Day

Happy Birthday!

Have the most wonderful & happiest of birthdays!

A toast to you:

Good Health, Good Times, Good Family, Good Friends,
Good Wine, & Good Books

@>---;-----

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Your Special Day

Thankyou very much indeed LizzieAnn - that is the first Birthday card I have opened!:smileyhappy: I have another hour to go!

LizzieAnn wrote:

Happy Birthday!

Have the most wonderful & happiest of birthdays!

A toast to you:

Good Health, Good Times, Good Family, Good Friends,
Good Wine, & Good Books

@>---;-----

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
I have just remembered that I am 74 tomorrow (2nd), so I am staying up so that I can open a couple of cards and pressies that came this morning:smileyhappy: It will cheer up a evening. Have a drink on me everyone!

Message Edited by Choisya on 03-01-200704:44 PM

http://www.ilovewavs.com/Holidays/Bday/bday10.wav

I'll make a special cup of Upton's best Jasmine tea in your honor.
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
I have just remembered that I am 74 tomorrow (2nd), so I am staying up so that I can open a couple of cards and pressies that came this morning:smileyhappy: It will cheer up a evening. Have a drink on me everyone!

Have a very happy birthday!
I wish I could get hold of a pint of English bitters for a proper toast but I will come up with something.
Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

Re: Meeting with Choisya

Choisya wrote:
I met Danielle and two of her sons today and we had a lovely chattering three hours whilst the boys played in the hotel gardens:smileyhappy: And what handsome boys they are, aged 11+ and 8+ - one day they will break some hearts:smileysurprised: (She left her third son, age 4+ at home.) I asked the boys what they liked most about England and they said English breakfasts!!!

Danielle's English is really excellent, which was a relief since my French is practically non-existent. She very kindly bought me a copy of The Country of Pointed Firs in a Barnes & Noble carrier bag - brought back from America! I was really chuffed about that and will cherish them both. I didn't take her a book, only some Marks & Spencer organic Scottish oat and pumpkin seed biscuits and some Rhubarb & Custard sweets for the boys:smileyhappy:

I took a couple of photographs but unfortunately we can't upload photos here so I cannot show them to you. Danielle is petite and pretty - just as I expected a Frenchwoman to be:smileyhappy: And those boys.....I think I might suggest an arranged marriage with two of my grandaughters.....:smileyvery-happy:

I definitely agree. We had a delightful meeting. We met in a very nice Hotel for tea and recognized each other at once. It was like I had always known her: she just talks in the same the way as she writes. Therefore the conversation was a real pleasure which will certainly be renewed in England or in Paris. And I still savour the delicious biscuits and sweets which she offered me with my evening tea; but they won't last very long!

What a rewarding experience.
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For Choisya: It's past midnight, GMT!

Happy Birthday: I hope the 75th year of your life will be the best yet!

Choisya wrote:
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Thanks a lot Everyman - I will enjoy that! Thanks for the song too!

Everyman wrote:

Choisya wrote:

Message Edited by Choisya on 03-01-200708:17 PM

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

And in your honor, Choisya, I am listening to Eugene Onegin, Die Meistersinger von Nurmburg, and Simon Boccanegra.

Choisya wrote:
Thanks a lot Everyman - I will enjoy that! Thanks for the song too!

Everyman wrote:

Choisya wrote:

Message Edited by Choisya on 03-01-200708:17 PM

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:

Happy birthday, Choisya.
I will have a drink for you.

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: From the Birthday Girl/Lady/Person

Thanks a lot everyone: Your good wishes are most appreciated - my cyber friends mean a lot to me. Ziki PM'd me to say that she remembers my birthday on B&N last year which I found very warming. I will be celebrating with my daughters and grandchildren tomorrow. One of the birthday cards I opened was very cute - it was from my 6 year old grandson and when I opened it up there was a recording of his voice saying 'Happy Birthday Nana Meow'!! (My grandchildren call me Nana Meow to distinguish me from their other Nanas.:smileyhappy:) I will take myself out for a nice lunch today and will raise a glass of wine to you all.

IlanaSimons wrote:

Choisya wrote:

Happy birthday, Choisya.
I will have a drink for you.

Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
0 Kudos

Re: Happy New Year

Happy Birthday, our dear Choisya.
Hope you had a great day and wish you a wonderful new year to come with lot of visiting cyberfriends.
Keep well and even better.
All the best.
Danielle
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Happy birthday! Wish I could come up with some type of a rhyme or something else. But I think that the traditional birthday song should be written here.
Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Choisya, happy birthday to you!
Or there is a much more insulting version used by very imature children (or somebody who just wants to kid around with a friend or relative). Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, you look like a monkey, and you smell like one to. I want everybody to know that I am not insulting anybody I am just putting it in here.

I think I will be posting a lot this weekend because I am sick. I think that I will watch some funny TV shows and/or movies. Laughter truly is the best medicine!
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

LOL Historybuff - thankyou:smileyhappy: I hope you feel better soon and that in the meantime these boards give you some amusement.

historybuff234 wrote:
Happy birthday! Wish I could come up with some type of a rhyme or something else. But I think that the traditional birthday song should be written here.
Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Choisya, happy birthday to you!
Or there is a much more insulting version used by very imature children (or somebody who just wants to kid around with a friend or relative). Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, you look like a monkey, and you smell like one to. I want everybody to know that I am not insulting anybody I am just putting it in here.

I think I will be posting a lot this weekend because I am sick. I think that I will watch some funny TV shows and/or movies. Laughter truly is the best medicine!

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

More BRIDE AND PREJUDICE

[ Edited ]
I liked Martin Henderson's Mr Darcy the best! Here's a link to the DVD at bn.com:

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?bnrefer=BRITISHCLASSICS&EAN=786936278330

Choisya wrote:
My old Asian lodger bought it for me for Xmas 2005 - I quite like Bollywood movies, they are always so optimistic and cheerful.

Message Edited by pmath on 03-03-200710:55 AM

Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Re: From the guy who s sick and watching TV on a couch in Minnesota

I am feeling a little better today. These boards do give me quite a bit of amusement. I think I will watch some episodes of The Red Green Show I have taped.

Stephen Hawking sounds like a Pakistani camel driver- Robin Williams
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: My lack of enthusiasm for Jane Austen.

[ Edited ]
Will folks please let me know if any of my posts not enthusing about JA, and the ones where I have, like Charlotte Bronte, referred to her as 'prissy', offend them because it has been suggested in a PM from another reader that I am too 'hostile' towards her - 'strongly, perpetually and unconditionally hostile'.

I admire Jane Austen's style of writing very much and like to read her novels, but as folks know, I am unhappy about her portrayal of certain aspects of English life at the time - or rather lack of portrayal. And like Charlotte Bronte, I find that she 'ruffles her reader by nothing vehement, disturbs him by nothing profound: the Passions are perfectly unknown to her ...too frequent converse with them would ruffle the smooth elegance of her progress.'

If my opinions, and those of Bronte, offend here, please let me know and I will withdraw from the discussion and will remove my posts.

Message Edited by Choisya on 03-04-200703:07 PM

Message Edited by Choisya on 03-04-200704:01 PM

Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Stay

[ Edited ]
Choisya, there's no reason to remove yourself from this discussion. No one expects everyone to like or feel the same way about every author or book. I find no offense in a difference of opinion. If you recall, I didn't like Lady Chatterley's Lover, yet participated in the discussion. We all have our own personal tastes, and it would be very dull indeed if everyone felt the same way about every book.

If we ever do Jane Eyre, I'll let you know what I think of Brontë!

Choisya wrote:
Will folks please let me know if any of my posts not enthusing about JA, and the ones where I have, like Charlotte Bronte, referred to her as 'prissy', offend them because this has been suggested to me.

I admire Jane Austen's style of writing very much and like to read her novels, but as folks know, I am unhappy about her portrayal of certain aspects of English life at the time - or rather lack of portrayal. And like Charlotte Bronte, I find that she 'ruffles her reader by nothing vehement, disturbs him by nothing profound: the Passions are perfectly unknown to her ...too frequent converse with them would ruffle the smooth elegance of her progress.'

If these opinions offend here, please let me know and I will withdraw from the discussion and will remove my posts.

Message Edited by LizzieAnn on 03-04-200703:08 PM

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: My lack of enthusiasm for Jane Austen.

Choisya wrote:
Will folks please let me know if any of my posts not enthusing about JA, and the ones where I have, like Charlotte Bronte, referred to her as 'prissy', offend them because it has been suggested in a PM from another reader that I am too 'hostile' towards her.

If my opinions, and those of Bronte, offend here, please let me know and I will withdraw from the discussion and will remove my posts.

Message Edited by Choisya on 03-04-200703:07 PM

It gets a bit boring, like the posts between Beatrice and Benedick that keep saying the same things over and over, but offensive, no.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Stay

[ Edited ]
LOL. Thanks Lizzie Ann - you do that very thing! It is just that I had said I would not participate in this discussion because of my negative feelings about JA but, as N&S finished sooner than I thought, I decided I would join in - but that seems to have upset someone. I don't dislike P&P or JA, I just have a different 'take' on them:smileyhappy: I remember your valuable contributions towards LCL which, although you disliked it, were not offensive about the book or the author, as a few were. And I hope I have not been offensive or disrespectful towards JA, whom I freely acknowledge as one of our greatest authors.

LizzieAnn wrote:
Choisya, there's no reason to remove yourself from this discussion. No one expects everyone to like or feel the same way about every author or book. I find no offense in a difference of opinion. If you recall, I didn't like Lady Chatterley's Lover, yet participated in the discussion. We all have our own personal tastes, and it would be very dull indeed if everyone felt the same way about every book.

If we ever do Jane Eyre, I'll let you know what I think of Brontë!

Choisya wrote:
Will folks please let me know if any of my posts not enthusing about JA, and the ones where I have, like Charlotte Bronte, referred to her as 'prissy', offend them because this has been suggested to me.

If these opinions offend here, please let me know and I will withdraw from the discussion and will remove my posts.

Message Edited by LizzieAnn on 03-04-200703:08 PM

Message Edited by Choisya on 03-04-200703:56 PM

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 64 members 701 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: