Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: PS to Ilana re Locking of Threads

[ Edited ]
Ilana, it's under Recent Discussions. I took a look only because Chad mentioned on the board for Moby-Dick (here) that he's still posting there. I see a message was posted on the board for Frankenstein just last night (here is a link to it).

Perhaps all the threads could also be locked when a board is removed from its BNBC category list.

IlanaSimons wrote:
I'm surprised that Frankenstein still shows up for you--under the Classic Lit Boards? We took it down several weeks ago, and will be taking Kafka down soon, too. Where do you see it?

pmath wrote:
Ilana, I assume BNBC hasn't yet made any decision: I didn't want to miss anything, but since conversations could continue indefinitely, I'll just stop checking boards for past discussions shortly after they close!

pmath wrote:
Ilana, it will be four months this weekend since the board for Frankenstein opened, and I see it's still listed under Recent Discussions! Do you know if all the threads will be locked soon, so there will be no more new posts to read?

Message Edited by pmath on 02-22-200710:35 AM

Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Re: Mural of Modern Authors

That is a cool mural! i like it.

I placed my book order today and these are the books that I ordered they are the following: Poetics and Rhetorics(Aristotle), Essential Dialogoues of Plato, Republic(Plato), Lord Jim(Joseph Conrad), Ivanhoe(Sir Walter Scott), The Four Feathers(A.E.W. Mason), Bulfinch's Mythology(Thomas Bulfinch), and The Mammouth Book of New Jules Verne Adventures. It will be nice when the order comes. I must get back to my algebra homework now.
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Oh my what a well educated little historybuff you are going to be!:smileyhappy: I would like to read Ivanhoe here - it was one of my favourites as a girl.

historybuff234 wrote:

I placed my book order today and these are the books that I ordered they are the following: Poetics and Rhetorics(Aristotle), Essential Dialogoues of Plato, Republic(Plato), Lord Jim(Joseph Conrad), Ivanhoe(Sir Walter Scott), The Four Feathers(A.E.W. Mason), Bulfinch's Mythology(Thomas Bulfinch), and The Mammouth Book of New Jules Verne Adventures. It will be nice when the order comes. I must get back to my algebra homework now.

Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

They all sound like really good books. I can't wait for them to come!
-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
PaulK
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
My American friend who co-owns with another old friend, the very large secondhand bookshop in Northumberland which BNU readers have seen me write about, commissioned a painting of 33 lifesize life-size portraits of authors a few years ago. The mural is now online and interactive so I thought that readers here might like to click around the painting to learn something about the authors portrayed:-

http://www.barterbooks.co.uk/barter/mural.html

Message Edited by Choisya on 02-22-200706:47 AM

That mural is to die for. Thanks for sharing it.
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
Oh my what a well educated little historybuff you are going to be!:smileyhappy: I would like to read Ivanhoe here - it was one of my favourites as a girl.

historybuff234 wrote:

Good idea. I love Ivanhoe, too.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

The bookshop is housed in an old Victorian railway station and the mural is on one of the end walls of one of the Engine Sheds, now all converted into the bookshop. Here are some photos of the old station. The third photo down shows an old shed and the end wall is where the mural is, only on the other side, which is where the front of the station and entrance/reception area now is. Coal fires roar in the old fireplaces in the winter and there are comfy velvet sofas around to sit on whilst you browse. An old waiting room has been converted into a lecture room where local authors and artists give talks. It is a bookshop to die for too!

http://www.northumbrian-railways.co.uk/alnwick.html

PaulK wrote:

Choisya wrote:
My American friend who co-owns with another old friend, the very large secondhand bookshop in Northumberland which BNU readers have seen me write about, commissioned a painting of 33 lifesize life-size portraits of authors a few years ago. The mural is now online and interactive so I thought that readers here might like to click around the painting to learn something about the authors portrayed:-

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Fascinating! Just don't go there to read Anna Karenina.

Choisya wrote:
The bookshop is housed in an old Victorian railway station and the mural is on one of the end walls of one of the Engine Sheds, now all converted into the bookshop. Here are some photos of the old station. The third photo down shows an old shed and the end wall is where the mural is, only on the other side, which is where the front of the station and entrance/reception area now is. Coal fires roar in the old fireplaces in the winter and there are comfy velvet sofas around to sit on whilst you browse. An old waiting room has been converted into a lecture room where local authors and artists give talks. It is a bookshop to die for too!

http://www.northumbrian-railways.co.uk/alnwick.html

PaulK wrote:

Choisya wrote:

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Contributor
E_Darcy
0 Kudos

Re: Mansfield Park & Paradise Lost

Hello everyone

I'm new to the B&N Book Club and just wanted to introduce myself and say hi.

Hi :-)
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

E_Darcy wrote:
Hello everyone

And hi to you. Welcome aboard! :smileyhappy:
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

E_Darcy wrote:
Hello everyone

Welcome! join in the discussion anytime.
0 Kudos

Hello from Over the Pond Darcy! With a name ike that you've signed in to the right book:smileyhappy:

E_Darcy wrote:
Hello everyone

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Good news!

I heard from both Danielle in France and Marcia in America yesterday that they are coming to England shortly and want to meet up. I have met quite a few cyber-friends from English gardening websites but this is the first time I will be meeting 'foreigners', which is exciting:smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Hello

[ Edited ]
Welcome and hello. Just jump in and join the discussion!

Message Edited by LizzieAnn on 02-24-200708:14 AM

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Choisya, I never knew you were from England, when you said hello from across the pond I figured it out. I know a boy who used to live in Cantebury, England and I know a boy who used to live in Wales.
I would reallly like to travel to the UK. England, Scotland, Wales, and/or Northern Ireland would be fun to travel to. Would Northern Ireland be an interesting place to visit? I would also really like to travel in other places in Europe as well. I like to watch the shows Globe Trekker on PBs, Passport to Europe on the Travel Channel, and Rick Steeve's Europe on PBS.

You are only limited by the boundries of your imagination and the laws in your area- Red Green

Message Edited by historybuff234 on 02-24-200712:34 PM

-Albert Einstein
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Northern and Southern Ireland are great HB but renowned for being wet:0 I hope you manage to realise all these travels plans:smileyhappy:

historybuff234 wrote:
Choisya, I never knew you were from England, when you said hello from across the pond I figured it out. I know a boy who used to live in Cantebury, England and I know a boy who used to live in Wales.
I would reallly like to travel to the UK. England, Scotland, Wales, and/or Northern Ireland would be fun to travel to. Would Northern Ireland be an interesting place to visit? I would also really like to travel in other places in Europe as well. I like to watch the shows Globe Trekker on PBs, Passport to Europe on the Travel Channel, and Rick Steeve's Europe on PBS.

You are only limited by the boundries of your imagination and the laws in your area- Red Green

Message Edited by historybuff234 on 02-24-200712:34 PM

Contributor
E_Darcy
0 Kudos

Re: Hello

LizzieAnn wrote:
Welcome and hello. Just jump in and join the discussion!

Message Edited by LizzieAnn on 02-24-200708:14 AM

Thank you :-)

And it's nice to meet all of you. I'm looking forward to the discussions.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I will be meeting Danielle and her boys in Peterborough on Monday afternoon at 2pm:smileyhappy: I am taking them for a formal English tea at a very nice, old fashioned hotel. Isn't it exciting - my first B&N get-together!

Choisya wrote:
I heard from both Danielle in France and Marcia in America yesterday that they are coming to England shortly and want to meet up. I have met quite a few cyber-friends from English gardening websites but this is the first time I will be meeting 'foreigners', which is exciting:smileyhappy:

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Yes it is, and that formal English tea sounds wonderful.

Choisya wrote:
I will be meeting Danielle and her boys in Peterborough on Monday afternoon at 2pm:smileyhappy: I am taking them for a formal English tea at a very nice, old fashioned hotel. Isn't it exciting - my first B&N get-together!

Choisya wrote:

Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I would like to travel to Europe. I would like to be a travel writer when I grow up.
I have not posted much today because I was watching Larwence of Arabia on TV. That is a very good movie. Ialso spent some time shoveling out the drive way, it is very cold here in Minnesota. That storm has come, it is really snowing.

I enjoyed it- Larwence of Arabia

Message Edited by historybuff234 on 02-24-200709:34 PM

-Albert Einstein
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 95 members 640 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: