Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Meeting with Danielle

I met Danielle and two of her sons today and we had a lovely chattering three hours whilst the boys played in the hotel gardens:smileyhappy: And what handsome boys they are, aged 11+ and 8+ - one day they will break some hearts:smileysurprised: (She left her third son, age 4+ at home.) I asked the boys what they liked most about England and they said English breakfasts!!!

Danielle's English is really excellent, which was a relief since my French is practically non-existent. She very kindly bought me a copy of The Country of Pointed Firs in a Barnes & Noble carrier bag - brought back from America! I was really chuffed about that and will cherish them both. I didn't take her a book, only some Marks & Spencer organic Scottish oat and pumpkin seed biscuits and some Rhubarb & Custard sweets for the boys:smileyhappy:

I took a couple of photographs but unfortunately we can't upload photos here so I cannot show them to you. Danielle is petite and pretty - just as I expected a Frenchwoman to be:smileyhappy: And those boys.....I think I might suggest an arranged marriage with two of my grandaughters.....:smileyvery-happy:
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

This is kind of a wierd thing to say, but if you cold meet any classics author you would like to meet who would it be? It does not matter if they are dead, I just wondering.

I would meet Jules Verne, Sir Arthur Conna Doyle, C.S.Lewis, Victor Hugo, Alexabdre Dumas, Plato, H.G.Wells, Charles Dickens, Edgar Allan Poe, Niccolo Machiaveli, Aristotle, Joseph Conerad, Sun Tzu, Robert Louis Stevenson, Fyoder Dostoevsky, Leo Tolstoy, Franz Kafka, Oscar Wilde, Mary Shelley, Daniel Defoe, and oh so many more.
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
I met Danielle and two of her sons today and we had a lovely chattering three hours whilst the boys played in the hotel gardens:smileyhappy: And what handsome boys they are, aged 11+ and 8+ - one day they will break some hearts:smileysurprised: (She left her third son, age 4+ at home.) I asked the boys what they liked most about England and they said English breakfasts!!!

Danielle's English is really excellent, which was a relief since my French is practically non-existent. She very kindly bought me a copy of The Country of Pointed Firs in a Barnes & Noble carrier bag - brought back from America! I was really chuffed about that and will cherish them both. I didn't take her a book, only some Marks & Spencer organic Scottish oat and pumpkin seed biscuits and some Rhubarb & Custard sweets for the boys:smileyhappy:

I took a couple of photographs but unfortunately we can't upload photos here so I cannot show them to you. Danielle is petite and pretty - just as I expected a Frenchwoman to be:smileyhappy: And those boys.....I think I might suggest an arranged marriage with two of my grandaughters.....:smileyvery-happy:

Great, Choisya! I'm glad you all had a good time. What fun! Is getting chuffed good or bad?
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

historybuff234 wrote:
This is kind of a wierd thing to say, but if you cold meet any classics author you would like to meet who would it be? It does not matter if they are dead, I just wondering.

I would meet Jules Verne, Sir Arthur Conna Doyle, C.S.Lewis, Victor Hugo, Alexabdre Dumas, Plato, H.G.Wells, Charles Dickens, Edgar Allan Poe, Niccolo Machiaveli, Aristotle, Joseph Conerad, Sun Tzu, Robert Louis Stevenson, Fyoder Dostoevsky, Leo Tolstoy, Franz Kafka, Oscar Wilde, Mary Shelley, Daniel Defoe, and oh so many more.

I think first I'll have tea with George Herbert and C.S. Lewis, and then I'll ast Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky to take me for a troika ride through the snow. Then we'll all sit in the Globe and be entertained by Shakespeare.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Being 'chuffed' is being very pleased indeed:smileyvery-happy: (Not to be confused with chuff, which has a rude meaning.:smileysad:)

Laurel wrote:

Choisya wrote:

Great, Choisya! I'm glad you all had a good time. What fun! Is getting chuffed good or bad?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Richard I

And here I thought you, at least, could have appreciated my humor.

Choisya wrote:
But your new interpretation of Richard III is revisionist!! And so will the one on King John be.

Everyman wrote:
Revisionist history is a wonderful thing.

Of course, then we have to revise the revisionists, then revise the revisers, then on and on until we come full circle and find out that the original history was pretty accurate after all.

Message Edited by Choisya on 02-27-200704:56 PM

0 Kudos

Re: Richard I

Sorry again:smileyvery-happy: It would be nice to be able to look down on our great-grandchildren to see what versions of history they are reading. History certainly does seem to 'repeat itself'.

Everyman wrote:
And here I thought you, at least, could have appreciated my humor.

Choisya wrote:
But your new interpretation of Richard III is revisionist!! And so will the one on King John be.

Everyman wrote:
Revisionist history is a wonderful thing.

Of course, then we have to revise the revisionists, then revise the revisers, then on and on until we come full circle and find out that the original history was pretty accurate after all.

Message Edited by Choisya on 02-27-200704:56 PM

Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

The Rivals

Has anyone ever read The Rivals by Sheridan? I'm about to begin reading it and was wondering if anyone had any insight or comments? All I know is that it's a comedy with assumed identity as part of the plot.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

I'm so warmed hearing this. How great that B&N sparked a live meeting. I'd love to see the photos.

Choisya wrote:

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: The Rivals

LizzieAnn wrote:
Has anyone ever read The Rivals by Sheridan? I'm about to begin reading it and was wondering if anyone had any insight or comments? All I know is that it's a comedy with assumed identity as part of the plot.

Egad, I read it forty or more years ago. I remember reading it, but I have minimal recollection of it. My most vivid memory is that it introduced Mrs. Malaprop, from which we get malapropisms. I also recall that it was fairly farcical. Other than that, nothing springs to mind.
0 Kudos

I have seen it on the stage on a number of occasions LizzieAnn. It is a satirical comedy of manners based on his own life and is very very funny, full of unforgettable characters like Mrs Malaprop (from whom we get the word). I recommend it but even better, go to see it if you can.

LizzieAnn wrote:

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I will email the photos to you Ilana.

IlanaSimons wrote:
I'm so warmed hearing this. How great that B&N sparked a live meeting. I'd love to see the photos.

Choisya wrote:

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

It is very popular as a school play over here Everyman - perhaps you did it at school?

Everyman wrote:

LizzieAnn wrote:

Egad, I read it forty or more years ago. I remember reading it, but I have minimal recollection of it. My most vivid memory is that it introduced Mrs. Malaprop, from which we get malapropisms. I also recall that it was fairly farcical. Other than that, nothing springs to mind.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: BRIDE AND PREJUDICE

I've been meaning to recommend this musical Bollywood movie to folks as a change from our Western productions. It is great fun!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2004/09/16/bride_and_prejudice_2004_review.shtml
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Thanks to You Both

[ Edited ]
Thanks for the info - it does seem funny. I'll let you know what I think!

Message Edited by LizzieAnn on 02-28-200711:39 AM

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

No. And I have never heard of any school over here doing it. The iconic HS play in the US is Our Town, which is probably not done very often in England..

Choisya wrote:
It is very popular as a school play over here Everyman - perhaps you did it at school?

Everyman wrote:

LizzieAnn wrote:

0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
I will email the photos to you Ilana.

thank you!

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Thanks to You Both

My old Asian lodger bought it for me for Xmas 2005 - I quite like Bollywood movies, they are always so optimistic and cheerful.L)

LizzieAnn wrote:
Thanks for the info - it does seem funny. I'll let you know what I think!

Message Edited by LizzieAnn on 02-28-200711:39 AM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: I'm staying up until midnight:)

[ Edited ]
I have just remembered that I am 74 tomorrow (2nd), so I am staying up so that I can open a couple of cards and pressies that came this morning:smileyhappy: It will cheer up a evening. Have a drink on me everyone!

Message Edited by Choisya on 03-01-200704:44 PM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I think The Rivals is popular over here because it is a very OTT Restoration Comedy. I have seen boys do it very well because they like the 'drag' element of the costumes. I thought you might have done it when you were in England.

Everyman wrote:
No. And I have never heard of any school over here doing it. The iconic HS play in the US is Our Town, which is probably not done very often in England..

Choisya wrote:

Everyman wrote:

LizzieAnn wrote:

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 700 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: