Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Re: What should I read next?

Yes, the language is quite bad. I don't think I have ever seen someting on TV before where the language was that bad, and uncensored. The reason why I think it is uncensored is because originaly it was on HBO, but even when it is on The History Channel. I really couldn't believe that. Even though the language is bad you have to look beyond it and just watch the show. You should watch the other episodes and you will really like it. Who is your favorite man in Easy Company? I like Dick Winters, he is a great leader. Also I don't remember him swearing, another one I like is Malarchy. All of the men are very brave for what they did. One of my great-uncles was in WWII, he landed at Normandy and fought on the front lines for almost all of the war in Europe.

Make the people read Machiaveli, and make the people read Voltaire- Victor Hugo
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Dick Winters is my favorite, too, HB! I'll be watching 3 and 4 in the next few days.

historybuff234 wrote:
Yes, the language is quite bad. I don't think I have ever seen someting on TV before where the language was that bad, and uncensored. The reason why I think it is uncensored is because originaly it was on HBO, but even when it is on The History Channel. I really couldn't believe that. Even though the language is bad you have to look beyond it and just watch the show. You should watch the other episodes and you will really like it. Who is your favorite man in Easy Company? I like Dick Winters, he is a great leader. Also I don't remember him swearing, another one I like is Malarchy. All of the men are very brave for what they did. One of my great-uncles was in WWII, he landed at Normandy and fought on the front lines for almost all of the war in Europe.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Hey everybody, my writing is coming along pretty good. I have come to you all for some adivce. I am wondering if in my book the chacracters should discover the treasure of the Knights Templar or should I make it into another book? I was thinking juts make inot another book and have the main character be an Indiana Jones style adventurer, historian, and traesure hunter. If I put it in another book I would tie the Knights Templar into Atlantis by them discovering it. The treasure would be hidden in the Alps, Atlantis, the Pyrennes, Scotland, and probably caves in the Holy Land. You know I think I will just have it a seperate book. I will also use the same Indiana Jones-like character discover Genhgis Khan's treasure and Mayan treasure as well. In other books of course!

Message Edited by historybuff234 on 04-26-200704:34 PM

-Albert Einstein
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Go for the second book, HB!

historybuff234 wrote:
Hey everybody, my writing is coming along pretty good. I have come to you all for some adivce. I am wondering if in my book the chacracters should discover the treasure of the Knights Templar or should I make it into another book? I was thinking juts make inot another book and have the main character be an Indiana Jones style adventurer, historian, and traesure hunter. If I put it in another book I would tie the Knights Templar into Atlantis by them discovering it. The treasure would be hidden in the Alps, Atlantis, the Pyrennes, Scotland, and probably caves in the Holy Land. You know I think I will just have it a seperate book. I will also use the same Indiana Jones-like character discover Genhgis Khan's treasure and Mayan treasure as well. In other books of course!

Message Edited by historybuff234 on 04-26-200704:34 PM

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Writing a third book

Actualy it will be a third book for me! I am currently working on two at the same time. You already know what the first is, the second is called Tales From the British Empire. They are short stories stories that take place in the Boer War, Egypt, India, probably the Sudan War, World War I maybe, maybe World War II, and many other locations. People who are not fans of the British Empire might not really like it. I am a fan of the British Empire, although there are some things that I do not approve of like how they completly wiped out the Tazmanians and other things. I don't what to turn this board into a place for debate of Great Britian, but hey this is the community thread. I think that how the British handled the Mau Mau in Kenya was good, now how the French handled the Algierans wasn't very good. But really the British did a lot of good in their colonies, just look at India. Where would India be right now if Britian hadn't made her a colony? In my view Britian was the greatest empire in history. Yes Alexander's was big, but it didn't last. Rome is the second greatest. Greece was not united so it could not be powerful. Genhgis Khan's was big but it really didn't last and do as much good as Britian's empire.
-Albert Einstein
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: Writing a third book

Good going, HB! Why don't you include a story about Chief Khama of the Kalahari (Botswana)? I hope you're doing your algebra, too.

historybuff234 wrote:
Actualy it will be a third book for me! I am currently working on two at the same time. You already know what the first is, the second is called Tales From the British Empire. They are short stories stories that take place in the Boer War, Egypt, India, probably the Sudan War, World War I maybe, maybe World War II, and many other locations. People who are not fans of the British Empire might not really like it. I am a fan of the British Empire, although there are some things that I do not approve of like how they completly wiped out the Tazmanians and other things. I don't what to turn this board into a place for debate of Great Britian, but hey this is the community thread. I think that how the British handled the Mau Mau in Kenya was good, now how the French handled the Algierans wasn't very good. But really the British did a lot of good in their colonies, just look at India. Where would India be right now if Britian hadn't made her a colony? In my view Britian was the greatest empire in history. Yes Alexander's was big, but it didn't last. Rome is the second greatest. Greece was not united so it could not be powerful. Genhgis Khan's was big but it really didn't last and do as much good as Britian's empire.

Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Yes good idea, thanks. I am doing my algebra and I am really liking math. Hey Laurel, when I opnened up my science textbook yesterday I found your name on the front page of it, it was under authors/editors. That must make you feel good that you are in a way teaching people.
-Albert Einstein
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Thanks, HB. It's always good to hear from one of my thousands of pupils!

Message Edited by Laurel on 04-27-200708:40 AM

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

How wonderful! What's the book?

historybuff234 wrote:
Yes good idea, thanks. I am doing my algebra and I am really liking math. Hey Laurel, when I opnened up my science textbook yesterday I found your name on the front page of it, it was under authors/editors. That must make you feel good that you are in a way teaching people.

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

I am also planning on writing a more modern version of The Prince, by Machiaveli. Although alot of it still applies to politics in this day and age some of it could be tweaked to suit this age just a little more. I am also going to add into it my view on how things should be done. One problem though, I can't think of a good title for it, can you give me any ideas? I was thinking The Head of a Country, but I am thinking that that is a bit to long. The Prince just wouldn't sound right for this age. I will also have some help from a friend, he is a Muslim and he will tell me about the radical Muslims from a Muslims point of view. He will also tell me about how the Pakistan feels about issues like that. He is Pakistani and has been to Pakistan a few times. He says it is quite tropical there. Some people may think that my ideas are quite harsh and a bit radical, but in my veiw they could bring victory to the situation in Iraq faster. Because we need a quick victory and one that will not be a band aid solution. In my view we should change our tacttics to take no prisoners.

-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
IlanaSimons wrote:How wonderful! What's the book?

It is just an Abeka Home schoolling Curriculum 7th grade science text book.

Message Edited by historybuff234 on 04-27-200702:25 PM

-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Last week, Sunday to be more exact, I taped Masterpiece Theatre on PBS. It was Bleak House part 1, I have decided to sit down and watch it today and tommorow. I am wondering if anybody else has seen Bleak House. In fact a few weeks ago I was meaning to tape Kidnaped part 1 and 2, and also Wind in the Willows. I was hesitant about Bleak House because I thought I might not want to ruin any surprises that I would find when I read Bleak House. Oh well, I should probably do something today after I look at some books here on BN.com. I am just curious what other literary classics have been made into Masterpiece Theatre episodes?
-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

they have more BN classics published now

I just saw that BN has now published more of the BN Classics. it makes me want to order some of them, Confessions, The House of Seven Gables, Crme and Punishment and alot of the other ones look really good. I think I will order some in about a month or so. Or maybe in a few weeks!
-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: English Icons

pmath wrote:
Great site, Choisya: thanks! I've bookmarked it.

me, too, thanks, there was also a good atlas. I usually get confused with all the 'shires'.

ziki
Inspired Contributor
MadamedeChevreuse
0 Kudos

Re: Community Thread

What I loved about Jane Eyre was that when she was going to get married, Rochester bought all of these beautiful things to show her off. But, in the end, those things do not matter because he can no longer see. He, in a way, is punished for flattering his vanity. His love is more pure when he just has Jane without all of the frippery. The book is lovely in all of its character development.

I also love the scene where she is about to agree to marry whats-his-face, and right at the climax, she hears Rochester call for her. What a lovely moment, and so well written!
A book is like a mirror: If an idiot peers into it, you can't expect an apostle to look out.
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Hey everyone! Is this thread still being used? Or has it become "out of order"? I really need some advice on what to read next. I'm pretty torn between Prdie and Prejudice, Moby Dick, Death on the Nile (Agatha Christie), and A Tale of Two Cities. The hard part is that they are all such good books! I should just remember that I'll be reading all of these eventualy so I should just be okay with what I chose. As of now I'm leaning more towards Pride and Prejudice, it'll be my first Jane Austen novel.
-Albert Einstein
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Hi--this thread is largely out of order, in that is has no official Barnes & Noble moderator.  But any readers can tune in and respond to your post
Ilana

historybuff234 wrote:
Hey everyone! Is this thread still being used? Or has it become "out of order"? I really need some advice on what to read next. I'm pretty torn between Prdie and Prejudice, Moby Dick, Death on the Nile (Agatha Christie), and A Tale of Two Cities. The hard part is that they are all such good books! I should just remember that I'll be reading all of these eventualy so I should just be okay with what I chose. As of now I'm leaning more towards Pride and Prejudice, it'll be my first Jane Austen novel.

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Hi, HB. Welcome back! I think you could just put those titles into a hat and draw them out one by one for your reading order. All would be excellent, and you would certainly get some variety.

historybuff234 wrote:
Hey everyone! Is this thread still being used? Or has it become "out of order"? I really need some advice on what to read next. I'm pretty torn between Prdie and Prejudice, Moby Dick, Death on the Nile (Agatha Christie), and A Tale of Two Cities. The hard part is that they are all such good books! I should just remember that I'll be reading all of these eventualy so I should just be okay with what I chose. As of now I'm leaning more towards Pride and Prejudice, it'll be my first Jane Austen novel.

New User
bookloverlibrarian
0 Kudos

Hello!

This is my first post to an online book club.

I'll probably just read the posts for a while and then join in when I feel I can contribute.  I am a Brit Lit fan, although right now I am reading "Eclipse" by Stephanie Meyer.  It's a nice, light change.

I also joined Netflix - I want to watch all of the British adaptations.  I have seen quite a few Jane Austin movies, and will continue from there.

Thanks,

Bookloverlibrarian
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Welcome!

Always nice to see a new typeface around here. :smileyhappy:

Do check out the various boards. Some are more active, some less, but there's plenty to interest any reading taste.

I hope to see you in some of the boards I frequent, like the Epics and Ilana's board and often the Literature by Women.

bookloverlibrarian wrote:
Hello!
This is my first post to an online book club.
I'll probably just read the posts for a while and then join in when I feel I can contribute. I am a Brit Lit fan, although right now I am reading "Eclipse" by Stephanie Meyer. It's a nice, light change.
I also joined Netflix - I want to watch all of the British adaptations. I have seen quite a few Jane Austin movies, and will continue from there.
Thanks,
Bookloverlibrarian

Users Online
Currently online: 15 members 313 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: