Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: Community Thread

Hi All,
I thought I'd give you a link to a neat discussion on the General Fiction Board,
http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board/message?board.id=FictGeneral&message.id=54&jump=true

They're discussing a B&N vote for favorite books of 2006.

Here's the info from B&N Editor, Kevin:

As 2006 comes to a close, now is the time to reflect upon -- and yes, discuss! -- the year's best books.

Cast your virtual ballot for the best fiction book of the year in our Best of 2006 poll.
(The poll is in the right column of the Book Clubs home page.)

Check out the Barnes & Noble.com Staff Favorites lists of the Best Books of 2006.

See the 10 authors we took special note of this year as the Writers of 2006.

Did your favorite book or writer of the year not make our lists? Here's your chance to tell us about your favorites of 2006, below!

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I am finding one difference between the book club format and the older BNU format is that I don't feel the same sense of urgency here to start and finish the book that I did in BNU. When we had a limited time frame, there was a sense of urgency to put the book to the top of the reading pile. But now, with open ended discussions and no specific time limit, I find myself reading these books more slosly (I'm reading Cranford, for example, as my bedside book which means only five to ten pages a night, instead of making it a main reading selection kept by my reading chair). This isn't necessarily bad, but it imparts a quite different feel, for me at least, to the new format.
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:
I am finding one difference between the book club format and the older BNU format is that I don't feel the same sense of urgency here to start and finish the book that I did in BNU. When we had a limited time frame, there was a sense of urgency to put the book to the top of the reading pile. But now, with open ended discussions and no specific time limit, I find myself reading these books more slosly (I'm reading Cranford, for example, as my bedside book which means only five to ten pages a night, instead of making it a main reading selection kept by my reading chair). This isn't necessarily bad, but it imparts a quite different feel, for me at least, to the new format.

I like your last comment that different reading schedules bring different pleasures. We are featuring both schedules now: the open-ended discussions in the General Classics Boards, and the month-limited discussions in the individual Classic Book clubs. Kafka and The Jungle will each run for the month of January. Check out the Kafka post, which I just put up. I hope you join that discussion.

Ilana

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Jane Potter

[ Edited ]
It just occurred to me that Little Jane Eyre at her "benefactress's" house is very much like little Harry Potter at the home of his horrible relatives.

Message Edited by Laurel on 01-06-200709:59 AM

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Jane Potter

Laurel wrote:
It just occurred to me that Little Jane Eyre at her "benefactress's" house is very much like little Harry Potter at the home of his horrible relatives.

Message Edited by Laurel on 01-06-200709:59 AM

Nice catch. But the schools left those homes for were quite different!
0 Kudos

I may be away from the Book Clubs for a few days for medical reasons. Any posts made to or about me might not be responded to promptly, and if there are too many posts for me to catch up, might never get responded to. Just so you know.

So okay, mice, the cat is away. Have fun.
0 Kudos

Melissa,
good luck with your paper, you'll catch up later here. :-)

ziki
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Firiel wrote:
Hi, I don't know if you do introductory posts here, but it always makes me feel more comfortable, so here goes. I'm Firiel (well not really, but it's an awesome name), I'm 17, and I love to read. Hmmm... I think that about covers it... I love the idea of online book discussions! I'll be participating in as many as possible. The Pride and Prejudice one is especially exciting - it's our book report book this month. The outline is due Feb. 15, and I'm hoping to get some good ideas for my thesis.

Well, thanks for having the boards!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Firiel,
Thanks for joining us. I'm the moderator, Ilana. I'm going to move your post over to our Community Thread, where people introduce themselves. I'll be excited to hear what you have to say about Pride and Prejudice.
Ilana

Ilana

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Hi princessofhesse,
I'm really happy to have you with us, and I'm excited the hear your input on these books. Right now I'm just going to move your hello over to the Community Board, where people are doing introductions.
I'll be excited to hear your input on Pride and Prejudice, perhaps, which is a discussion starting February.
Ilana

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
princessofhesse wrote:
hello friends, i just joined the on-line book discussion group...forgive the sloppy typing, i am recovering from 6 days of what has appeared to be the flu, after getting my usual flu shot this winter!! so... i love to read and write, i just had an article published in History magazine, well, my BA in Journalism has to be good for something after being home with three children for 18 years! i love the classics and am excited about this group! i am going to pick up another copy of P&P, afraid i am graduation to the big print now, i am turning 50 in March and had cataract surgery that is apparently going to have to have some correction now...so, the big print isn't so bad, i reckon... is it okay to tell about me? i am a native Texan, have lived now in Minnesota with my husband, who was born and raised here, we have three beautiful children, my first baby is getting ready to go off to university in the fall...i can't believe that...i sell books on Ebay, love to read, think Anna Karenina is the greatest novel ever written....am a Law and Order junkie, a Johnny Depp fan and love movies from the 40s and 50s....we have a Bichon/poodle puppy who is nearly 1 year old and still not totally house broken...i think Cesar Milan needs to work with him! he was a rescue puppy, saved at 5 months old from his owner who was just "tired of him and was going to put him down." he really is a doll, except for the accidents.. i am a Catholic Christian, a Republican,I love European royal history especially that of the House of Hesse and By Rhine, I collect antique European royalty postcards, such beautiful little things to love... I lost my Mama to a drunk driver 13 years ago, it changed my life, she was a lifelong reader and i grew up loving to reading and the written word...as you can probably tell...guess this is enough...i do not want to bore, but I am happy to be with you! P&P is a wonderful book..i have the cassettes of the Colin Firth version, i watch it over and over in the kitchen while cooking supper...he is superb, as is the book! thanks again!! and thanks for bearing with me! i can't wait to read!

Ilana

New User
princessofhesse
0 Kudos

thanks, my friend...i kind of stumble around in the dark a lot these days!!
Contributor
KathleenVitale
0 Kudos

Hello I'm new here

Hello everyone my name is Katie and I'm a 34 year old mother of a 3 year old. In saying that it's probably obvious that I haven't had much opportunity to read many of my 300+ collection of classical literature in the last few years.

I'm looking forward to reading some books and participating in the discussions. I'm not much for paying attention to detail so I tend to miss important things! It will be nice to have things pointed out that I might have otherwise missed.

Katie
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: Hello I'm new here

[ Edited ]

KathleenVitale wrote:
Hello everyone my name is Katie and I'm a 34 year old mother of a 3 year old. In saying that it's probably obvious that I haven't had much opportunity to read many of my 300+ collection of classical literature in the last few years.

I'm looking forward to reading some books and participating in the discussions. I'm not much for paying attention to detail so I tend to miss important things! It will be nice to have things pointed out that I might have otherwise missed.

Katie

Hi Katie,
Thanks so much for joining us. I'm sure you'll be pointing out lots of things we miss too, so point!
Ilana

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 01-27-200704:24 PM

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Too many threads!

[ Edited ]
Friends, a number of us are finding the British Classics board very difficult to navigate now: please read Ilana's suggestions, in her message "Navigating the Conversation -- Some Pointers," from which I've quoted below.

Since we're discussing Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice this month, perhaps we should avoid creating any new threads, even on P&P itself: there are now more than enough threads on P&P (see the list here), most of which can be used for the rest of our discussion, some by changing the subject line.

Perhaps the "Vol. 1" indicators in the five P&P threads so labeled could be removed, so we can continue discussuing the Bennets, the Bingleys, etc. in those threads through Vol II and Vol III: what do you think, Ilana?

IlanaSimons wrote (here):
...don't be afraid to open a new topic at the top level of the discussion -- but check first to see if there's an active discussion thread your comment might work best in.

Message Edited by pmath on 02-14-200712:12 PM

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: Too many threads!

[ Edited ]

pmath wrote:
Friends, a number of us are finding the British Classics board very difficult to navigate now: please read Ilana's suggestions, in her message "Navigating the Conversation -- Some Pointers," from which I've quoted below.

Since we're discussing Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice this month, perhaps we should avoid creating any new threads, even on P&P itself: there are now more than enough threads on P&P (see the list here), most of which can be used for the rest of our discussion, some by changing the subject line.

Perhaps the "Vol. 1" indicators in the five P&P threads so labeled could be removed, so we can continue discussuing the Bennets, the Bingleys, etc. in those threads through Vol II and Vol III: what do you think, Ilana?

...don't be afraid to open a new topic at the top level of the discussion -- but check first to see if there's an active discussion thread your comment might work best in.

I do think it's good to keep threads to a minimum. Do please limit new threads--and speak to the existing ones.
Thanks a lot
Ilana

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 02-14-200712:21 PM

Ilana

RCM
Frequent Contributor
RCM
0 Kudos

Hey again, y'all:
I guess this is the place to tell another story. Very briefly, I worked in the construction area doing under-ground utilities, eventually graduating to above- ground utilities. So, the result may have been a typically obtuse male (which is what I feared at one time), but I was inspired by Marjorie K Rawlings to stop and smell the roses. MKR, like many of us a transplant to Florida (in her case from the _far_ North), talked much of the local flora and fauna. And my wife was only too glad to answer any questions: besides, it still gives us alot to talk about.

One item unmentioned by MKR is azaleas,and when I took the family to her old homestead at Cross Creek many years ago, I don't remember seeing any. I thought azaleas grew everywhere in Florida. Floridians love to plant azaleas around oak trees where they grow well into a cone-shaped shrub. The lowest branches reach way out for the sunshine, and , because they can't support their own weight, they droop into decaying oak leaves where they love to take root. In full bloom it looks like a blanket of embedded blossoms has been thrown about the base of the oak tree. I see I'm getting off the subject, but I'll add that the name azalea comes from the ancient Greeks who thought the plant was completely drought-resistent---not true. On the grounds of Manderley in _Rebecca_ Daphne Du Maurier mentions a very dense growth of azaleas along a walkway, adding an ominous tone to the story.

Since our four children have all quietly and in a very orderly manner decamped, I have much more time to read in my 1200(+/-)-book library, about a third of which is unread. It's mostly fiction of British, American, (in translation) German, French, Russian, Scandinavian (Ibsen) origin. I always have a book wherever I go, and I'm constantly rearranging my books which are all about the house. Even with extra quiet time, there are times when I can't do the reading---then I just turn pages in a book, and if it's a book already read, I recall events in the story. Sometimes I just like to stand at a bookshelf looking at a certain series of books I've read. The program now is in chronological order. Some recent reads: The Magic Mountain (O! to live long enough to reread it),The Informer, The Pillars of Wisdom, Steppenwolf, Elmer Gantry, To the Lighthouse, A High Wind in Jamaica, and a little out of order (B&N had an Educator's discount sale) an impulse buy and reading of The Voyage Out. TVO seems to indicate all the important points VW will touch on, some of which I've read. Enough already, maybe too much. I've been a part of online reading groups before, and they didn't work out. All I have to add to the conversation is some little thing about TVO.

RCM

PS: Y'all come on to Florida---The azaleas started to bloom a week or so ago
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Too many threads!

I agree that the present format is a problem, and have posted about that more than once. I am hoping thatthe gurus at BNBC, who are aware of these problems, will come up with an elegant solution for us.

But until that happens, though, we have what we have. The question for me is which is more difficult, navigating a larger number of threads each dealing with single topics, or navigating a single thread that has multiple unrelated topics buried deeply in it.

Personally, I agree with Ilana's original view, included below, that we should look first for an appropriate active discussion thread, but if it doesn't exist, not be afraid to open a new topic.

When several active topics get lumped into one thread, so that one message will be responding to a previous day's post on Mr. Bennet, the next responding to a post on the meaning of "gentlemanlike" as used by Austen, the next initiating a discussion of the importance of balls in Austen's world and how they functioned, the next responding to a post about the comparative monetary values, the next message a response by a new reader to an issue that had been discussed the week earlier, that makes it far more difficult for me to follow each discussion intelligently than if they were all in separate threads each thread was devoted to a single basic theme.

I hope that this will all get sorted out by improvements in the book club designers; I don't think that they thought through quite carefully enough the consequences of such active reader led discussions. But until that happens, my preference is for people who are opening new issues that may generate a significant number of posts to go ahead and open a new thread appropriately titled rather than to bury the new topic in the midst of a series of unrelated and disparate topics each generating its own set of responses and offshoots.

Just my opinion.

pmath wrote:

0 Kudos

For Everyman: Assisting Liz

Everyman, since you're the most active participant in the P&P discussion, perhaps you can assist Liz instead. This is all far too chaotic for me.

Everyman wrote:
...my preference is for people who are opening new issues that may generate a significant number of posts to go ahead and open a new thread appropriately titled rather than to bury the new topic in the midst of a series of unrelated and disparate topics each generating its own set of responses and offshoots.
RCM
Frequent Contributor
RCM
0 Kudos

"The Pillars of Wisdom" should have been _The Seven Pillars of Wisdom_ (T E Lawrence). I read it in 1962, when it first came out in paperback. It seems even more apposite today.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: For Pmath: You are right unless Lizzie Ann thinks you are wrong!

[ Edited ]
Pmath - you are doing a great job as co-Moderator. Don't let anyone put you off as they did at the beginning of the N&S thread. Stand firm!:smileysurprised: Ilana wrote on 2-14-07: 'I do think it is good to keep threads to a minimum. Do please limit new threads and speak to the existing ones' so your advice has been fine. Unless Lizzie Ann thinks otherwise I think folks should stick to that advice. If she doesn't agree then you must toss a coin - a Regency one of course:smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by Choisya on 02-14-200702:49 PM

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman

Re: For Everyman: Assisting Liz

[ Edited ]

pmath wrote:
Everyman, since you're the most active participant in the P&P discussion, perhaps you can assist Liz instead. This is all far too chaotic for me.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think Liz needs any co-moderating help. She's doing just great on her own. If she does feel she needs co-moderating assistance and wants to ask for it, either publicly or by PM, I would be glad to assist, but frankly I think it would be redundant and unnecessary.

Where moderating styles are markedly different, sometimes it's better to have only one style prevail. Too many cooks ...

I agree that the format of the new BNBC may tend toward a degree of chaos, and as I have said I hope BNBC staff address this soon. But far from finding this discussion of P&P unreasonably chaotic, I'm finding lots of wonderful posts from great posters with many exciting thoughts, including yours, being exchanged. I think we're doing remarkably well under the limitations of the structure, and look forward to a continuing great discussion of Pride and Prejudice under Liz's able leadership.

Message Edited by Everyman on 02-14-200702:51 PM

Users Online
Currently online: 45 members 264 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: