Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For Choisya and All: Voting

Choisya, I created a thread for you in December, linked below: let me know if you want me to change the subject line. There's nothing scheduled yet for June, so if anyone would like moderate a discussion of a specific British classic then, please let us know here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board/message?board.id=BritishClassics&message.id=124

Choisya wrote:
I think having a vote for all the reader moderated book sugggestions would be a good idea because that would ensure having a reasonable number of readers in the book discussion democratically decided upon. Perhaps we should have a 'Voting Thread for British (European?) Classics' where we could post our preferences as to titles and order of reading. These to be counted up at the end of a fortnight?

I think it is important too that we try to keep a balance of 'light and dark', 'easy and difficult' and so we should think about that when we vote.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Calendar of Readings ?

I was thinking that maybe it would be beneficial to have a separate thread (which I didn't want to start without everyone's input) for and upcoming list of scheduled and or possible discussions.

I know we currently have Utopia beginning March 19 (is that right?), as well as Paradise Lost in April, and Mansfield Park.

It would be easier to have all the start dates together in one place so that we can see what's coming up & when without confusion and searching. It will also give us an instant timetable to ensure our obtaining the book in time.

If this sounds good to everyone, we can start such a "Calendar of Readings" thread.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For PaulK: Schedules for P&P and UTOPIA Discussions

[ Edited ]
Great, Paul! Here are links to schedules for the current and upcoming discussions (you may wish to float them to the top of the British Classics board):

Schedule for February/March discussion of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice

Schedule for March discussion of Thomas More's Utopia

Laurel hasn't yet posted any dates, but she has proposed a twelve-week discussion of Paradise Lost, from April to late June.

PaulK wrote:
Ilana or Pmath, can you summarize what the current schedule is? I am getting a little confused.

I will certainly join Mansfield Park and the Double, and plan to make an attempt at Paradise Lost. I bought the book and Spark Notes yesterday.

pmath wrote:
... I'll post a suggested schedule for MP around March 24 (to give participants three weeks to purchase the novel, if necessary) for a 48-day discussion, from April 14 through May 31, 2007.

Message Edited by pmath on 02-19-200702:23 PM

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: British English

Yes, an accordion like section describes the articulated buses very well Lizzie Ann, although I haven't seen this particular fitment on an artic lorry (yet).

LizzieAnn wrote:
I believe I know what you mean. Around Manhattan some time ago I remember seeing buses that just might fit your description. It looked like two buses joined the the middle by an accordian-like section. They were terrifying when making a turn!

Choisya wrote:
Articulated = jointed. Artic lorries aren't just separable but they have an incredible ability to turn practically on their own spot. We also have articulated buses over here and they can be quite scary if you are in the joined on bit going around a tight corner:smileysurprised:.

Everyman wrote:

LizzieAnn wrote:
ABy the way, does anyone know what an "articulated lorry" is? I know lorry is truck, but I'm not sure what's meant by that phrase?

I believe it's what we would call a tractor-trailer, wher the motor part and the cargo part are separable.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: For Ilana: Plans for April/May Discussion of MANSFIELD PARK

Mine is one its way and I'm thinking of taking out a second mortgage to accommodate the extra spending that pmath is involving me in:smileysurprised::smileysurprised:

pmath wrote:
Thanks, Ilana: I'll post a suggested schedule for MP around March 24 (to give participants three weeks to purchase the novel, if necessary) for a 48-day discussion, from April 14 through May 31, 2007.

IlanaSimons wrote:
This sounds ok to me. Let's keep it as a tentative schedule and re-pole the crowds in late March.

Laurel wrote:
I think it would work. That way, people who come in a little late would not feel that they could never catch up. Let's see what Ilana thinks.

pmath wrote:
Thanks, L! Yes, and in this case, we could also read and discuss Mansfield Park slowly, one chapter per day (there are 48 altogether), so those who would like to participate in both discussions can comfortably do so, if they wish.

Laurel wrote:
Paradise Lost should take at least twelve weeks--a week per book. Having something lighter at the same time is a good idea, I think. Perhaps have only Paradise Lost the first two weeks in April, along with the selections that Ilana and Bob will do, and then add an Austen the third week of April.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Mansfield Park & Paradise Lost

You belong alright LizzieAnn and not at novice level either:smileysurprised: If I were awarding stars I would give you ten out of five:smileyhappy:

KristyR wrote:

LizzieAnn wrote:
I very much like the idea of section at a time. Even though I may be the only one on the novice level, I know that everyone will be willing to help me along. :smileywink: Oddly enough, it's at this stage of my life (& my two children are in their mid-20s), that I've decided to venture into these deeper tomes! (Don't those las two words sound like I belong? :smileyhappy: )

Laurel wrote:
Liz, with your brilliance you'll have no problem at all with Paradise Lost. It can be read on several levels and for a lifetime, but I think we should just take it a section at a time and get the best things from each section.

LizzieAnn wrote:
Reading Austen always sound good to me. :smileyhappy: Just let me know when to be there, and I will be ~ with bells ringing!

I also like Laurel's idea of taking time with Paradise Lost. I never read it at all, and I'll be the novice of the group. :smileytongue: It sounds a bit intimidating, and I'm a bit apprehensive of joining you all in that discussion.

If PL is going to take that much time, it may be a good idea to add another discussion. After all, I know that I do more than one discussion a month now, as I know several of you do as well.

You won't be the only novice! I read bits and pieces in high school, but never more than that. I'm looking forward to this discussion and to learning from everyone else.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: For Choisya and All: Voting

Thanks for reminding me pmath:smileyhappy:

pmath wrote:
Choisya, I created a thread for you in December, linked below: let me know if you want me to change the subject line. There's nothing scheduled yet for June, so if anyone would like moderate a discussion of a specific British classic then, please let us know here:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board/message?board.id=BritishClassics&message.id=124

Choisya wrote:
I think having a vote for all the reader moderated book sugggestions would be a good idea because that would ensure having a reasonable number of readers in the book discussion democratically decided upon. Perhaps we should have a 'Voting Thread for British (European?) Classics' where we could post our preferences as to titles and order of reading. These to be counted up at the end of a fortnight?

I think it is important too that we try to keep a balance of 'light and dark', 'easy and difficult' and so we should think about that when we vote.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Calendar of Readings ?

Yes that was a good idea of Everyman's we need one of those. Will you put it up LizzieAnn? I've got them on the calendar alongside my computer but one online would be better. (The entry 'Utopia starts' by March 19th gives me great hopes for the future of the world:smileyvery-happy:)

LizzieAnn wrote:
I was thinking that maybe it would be beneficial to have a separate thread (which I didn't want to start without everyone's input) for and upcoming list of scheduled and or possible discussions.

I know we currently have Utopia beginning March 19 (is that right?), as well as Paradise Lost in April, and Mansfield Park.

It would be easier to have all the start dates together in one place so that we can see what's coming up & when without confusion and searching. It will also give us an instant timetable to ensure our obtaining the book in time.

If this sounds good to everyone, we can start such a "Calendar of Readings" thread.

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Re: British English

Especially the two-story ones!

Choisya wrote:
Articulated = jointed. Artic lorries aren't just separable but they have an incredible ability to turn practically on their own spot. We also have articulated buses over here and they can be quite scary if you are in the joined on bit going around a tight corner:smileysurprised:.

Everyman wrote:

LizzieAnn wrote:
ABy the way, does anyone know what an "articulated lorry" is? I know lorry is truck, but I'm not sure what's meant by that phrase?

I believe it's what we would call a tractor-trailer, wher the motor part and the cargo part are separable.

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Thank you :smileyvery-happy:

Let's see what happens when we actually start!

Choisya wrote:
You belong alright LizzieAnn and not at novice level either:smileysurprised: If I were awarding stars I would give you ten out of five:smileyhappy:

KristyR wrote:

LizzieAnn wrote:
I very much like the idea of section at a time. Even though I may be the only one on the novice level, I know that everyone will be willing to help me along. :smileywink: Oddly enough, it's at this stage of my life (& my two children are in their mid-20s), that I've decided to venture into these deeper tomes! (Don't those las two words sound like I belong? :smileyhappy: )

Laurel wrote:
Liz, with your brilliance you'll have no problem at all with Paradise Lost. It can be read on several levels and for a lifetime, but I think we should just take it a section at a time and get the best things from each section.

LizzieAnn wrote:
Reading Austen always sound good to me. :smileyhappy: Just let me know when to be there, and I will be ~ with bells ringing!

I also like Laurel's idea of taking time with Paradise Lost. I never read it at all, and I'll be the novice of the group. :smileytongue: It sounds a bit intimidating, and I'm a bit apprehensive of joining you all in that discussion.

If PL is going to take that much time, it may be a good idea to add another discussion. After all, I know that I do more than one discussion a month now, as I know several of you do as well.

You won't be the only novice! I read bits and pieces in high school, but never more than that. I'm looking forward to this discussion and to learning from everyone else.

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For Choisya: Reading MANSFIELD PARK

[ Edited ]
Ah, you'll be joining us, then: excellent! Perhaps I'll provide you with excuses to spend more money during the discussion, too...

Choisya wrote:
Mine is one its way and I'm thinking of taking out a second mortgage to accommodate the extra spending that pmath is involving me in:smileysurprised::smileysurprised:

pmath wrote:
... I'll post a suggested schedule for MP around March 24 (to give participants three weeks to purchase the novel, if necessary) for a 48-day discussion, from April 14 through May 31, 2007.

Message Edited by pmath on 02-20-200702:10 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Question for Ilana: Board for Mary Shelley's FRANKENSTEIN

[ Edited ]
Ilana, it will be four months this weekend since the board for Frankenstein opened, and I see it's still listed under Recent Discussions! Do you know if all the threads will be locked soon, so there will be no more new posts to read?

Message Edited by pmath on 02-20-200709:54 PM

Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

I am just curious, what is a community thread?
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

PS to Ilana re Locking of Threads

Ilana, I assume BNBC hasn't yet made any decision: I didn't want to miss anything, but since conversations could continue indefinitely, I'll just stop checking boards for past discussions shortly after they close!

pmath wrote:
Ilana, it will be four months this weekend since the board for Frankenstein opened, and I see it's still listed under Recent Discussions! Do you know if all the threads will be locked soon, so there will be no more new posts to read?
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

historybuff234 wrote:

It's the campus coffee shop where people gather to unwind after a strenuous series of posts (reading, writing, or both), to talk about whatever interests them, to get to know each other, maybe to do a wee bit of innocent flirting if certain people aren't watching.
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

historybuff234 wrote:

It's the campus coffee shop where people gather to unwind after a strenuous series of posts (reading, writing, or both), to talk about whatever interests them, to get to know each other, maybe to do a wee bit of innocent flirting if certain people aren't watching.

Certain people are always watching.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Do any of you watch the History Channel, History International, Travel Channel, Discovery Channel , and/or the Food Channel? Those are my favorite channels!

Have any of you here watched the Red Green Show? I think that it is super funny!
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

It is the 'coffee shop', where we chat about off-topic things, History buff. We are trying to get B&N to set a board-wide one but for the moment folks set them up withint each book discussion.

historybuff234 wrote:

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Mural of Modern Authors

[ Edited ]
My American friend who co-owns with another old friend, the very large secondhand bookshop in Northumberland which BNU readers have seen me write about, commissioned a painting of 33 lifesize life-size portraits of authors a few years ago. The mural is now online and interactive so I thought that readers here might like to click around the painting to learn something about the authors portrayed:-

http://www.barterbooks.co.uk/barter/mural.html

Message Edited by Choisya on 02-22-200706:47 AM

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: PS to Ilana re Locking of Threads

pmath wrote:
Ilana, I assume BNBC hasn't yet made any decision: I didn't want to miss anything, but since conversations could continue indefinitely, I'll just stop checking boards for past discussions shortly after they close!

pmath wrote:

I'm surprised that Frankenstein still shows up for you--under the Classic Lit Boards? We took it down several weeks ago, and will be taking Kafka down soon, too. Where do you see it?

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 591 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: