Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Dickens: Where to start?

grapes wrote:
I haven't read David Copperfield. I want to read it so badly. I need to make the time. I wish we were reading Dickens here at Barnes and Noble.

We could easily read it here in British Classics if somebody would take the initiative to be a moderator and organize the discussion. (Somebody like you, hint hint? :smileyhappy:)

My experience here is that discussions without active moderators tend to die out quite quickly. But those with active volunteer moderators, like Laurel in Epics and Melissa in Literature for Women, can be active and excellent.
0 Kudos

grapes wrote:
Well, I might as well ask. How many novels did Charles Dickens write?

According to the Oxford Reader's Companion to Dickens, he wrote 15 novels. He also wrote roughly an equal number of "stories and sketches" including some I've never heard of (such as The Mudfog Papers -- that would be a great question for Jeopardy, since I bet there are only a handful of people who would recognize that as a work of Dickens) and a variety of journalism, non-fiction, poetry, plays (I hadn't realized before I looked into the answer to your question that he had ever written any plays -- shows how ignorant I am of Dickens beyond his basic novelistic output), and "other writings."
0 Kudos

Wow, I would have expected the number of novels to be higher than 15!  Maybe reading them all would be an achievable goal, after all.  I've read about six so far.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

dulcinea3 wrote:
Wow, I would have expected the number of novels to be higher than 15! Maybe reading them all would be an achievable goal, after all. I've read about six so far.

Here's a list of Dickens's fifteen novels in order of publication.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

My mother-in-law often tells the story of how when she was about 11 or 12 her mother paid her $1.00 each to read all the Dickens novels. She did, but hated it and has never read him since. Which is too bad, but perhaps understandable.

I haven't read them all yet myself, but most. Have never gotten around to Dombey and Son, Barnaby Rudge, or The Mystery of Edwin Drood. I should! Maybe we'll inspire each other to finish the entire canon.

dulcinea3 wrote:
Wow, I would have expected the number of novels to be higher than 15! Maybe reading them all would be an achievable goal, after all. I've read about six so far.

Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

that's great.  Thanks Laurel!

Laurel wrote:

dulcinea3 wrote:

Here's a list of Dickens's fifteen novels in order of publication.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Everyman, you have a great sense of humor. All joking aside, you would make the perfect moderator. You could help all of us.
Grapes
Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Great information, thank you.
Grapes
Frequent Contributor
Bibliocrates
0 Kudos

I enjoyed David Copperfield, but didn't much care for Great Expectations even thought it's considered a great classic.
Frequent Contributor
Bibliocrates
0 Kudos

I have a nice, very old, vintage copy of Oliver Twist and can't wait to read it, will be my third Dickens read.
Frequent Contributor
Bibliocrates
0 Kudos

:smileyvery-happy:

PEGSmom wrote:

ABI wrote:
Presently, i'm about to begin Bleak House---

If I remember correctly there was some discussions about Bleak House earlier this summer. It sounds great too. Let me know what you think, ABI.

I just love Barnes and Noble!!! I went by the store this morning to treat myself to a birthday present and picked up several books *but* what I am most excited about is a huge Dickens book I found. It has 5 of his novels (Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, David Copperfield, Tales of Two Cities and A Christmas Carol) all for the low price of $12.95! (Only one problem I can see with the book, if you doze off while reading and the book slaps you in the face/head....OUCH!)

Message Edited by PEGSmom on 08-31-2007 05:38 PM

Frequent Contributor
grapes
0 Kudos

Are there illustrations in the copy? Swell!!
Grapes
Frequent Contributor
PEGSmom
0 Kudos

grapes wrote:
Are there illustrations in the copy? Swell!!

I am afraid there are no illustrations in the huge book! THe print is kinda small, but that may not bother you though! But still a great price for 5 books!!!
~ PEGSmom~
"It's our choices that show us what we truly are, far more than our abilities" Albus Dumbledore
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow"
Mark Twain
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Dombey and Sons is now a new selection at Mousehold words.

kaye

Everyman wrote:
My mother-in-law often tells the story of how when she was about 11 or 12 her mother paid her $1.00 each to read all the Dickens novels. She did, but hated it and has never read him since. Which is too bad, but perhaps understandable.

I haven't read them all yet myself, but most. Have never gotten around to Dombey and Son, Barnaby Rudge, or The Mystery of Edwin Drood. I should! Maybe we'll inspire each other to finish the entire canon.

dulcinea3 wrote:

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 38 members 282 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: