Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Dickens or Trollope?

[ Edited ]
Is anyone interested in discussing another British Classic on this board? Or perhaps there are already enough discussions going on elsewhere?

Message Edited by Choisya on 05-01-200706:57 AM

Message Edited by Choisya on 05-21-200708:30 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Anthony Trollope's HE KNEW HE WAS RIGHT

Choisya, it would be great to discuss another novel by Anthony Trollope: I really enjoyed our discussion of The Way We Live Now at BNU! What about He Knew He Was Right? An adaptation was aired on PBS a few years ago.

Choisya wrote:
Is anyone interested in discussing another British Classic on this board? I was thinking of initiating a discussion on either Dicken's Martin Chuzzlewit or Trollope's The Eustace Diamonds, both of which have an American interest.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Anthony Trollope's HE KNEW HE WAS RIGHT

[ Edited ]
I am not the best person to discuss marital relations pmath, which is what He Knew He was Right is about. Perhaps someone else would like to have a go at that one?

pmath wrote:
Choisya, it would be great to discuss another novel by Anthony Trollope: I really enjoyed our discussion of The Way We Live Now at BNU! What about He Knew He Was Right? An adaptation was aired on PBS a few years ago.

Choisya wrote:
Is anyone interested in discussing another British Classic on this board?

Message Edited by Choisya on 05-21-200708:31 PM

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I'm currently reading The Way We Live Now. I recently finished The Warden and Barchester Towers and plan to read the other Barsetshire novels next.

pmath wrote:

Choisya wrote:
Is anyone interested in discussing another British Classic on this board? I was thinking of initiating a discussion on either Dicken's Martin Chuzzlewit or Trollope's The Eustace Diamonds, both of which have an American interest.

Message Edited by Laurel on 05-01-200708:21 AM

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

I am currently reading Sherlock Holmes(The Return of Sherlock Holmes, so I can really discuss any of the Holmes books), The Four Feathers, The Count of Monte Cristo, Republic, Edgar Allan Poe, War of the Worlds, The Prince, Anton Chekhov's short stories, and others. I think that we should discuss some of H.G. Wells's fiction, I have already read The Time Machine and The Invisible Man. I am going to begin War and Peace and Conrad's Lord Jim after I am done with some of the books I am reading right now. I am open to discuss any British or European classics right now. I am going to be buying Don Quixote, The Brothers Karamazov, Utopia, and probably some others next time I am at a B&N. I want to read some of the B&N Classics like Father and Sons, Confessions, The House of Seven Gables, The Aeneid, Crime and Punishment, and alot of the others. So like I said before I am open to any disscussions.
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

Re: Dickens or Trollope?

You guys know me - I have so many things to read right now, for class and for fun, that I think the books are taking over (you know the scene in the Muppet Show where the furniture comes to life and chases the Muppets? - sort of like that) :smileysurprised:. I won't venture an opinion, but whatever you guys decide I'll pop in and out as I can.
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

More on Anthony Trollope's HE KNEW HE WAS RIGHT

I think you would be a good leader of any discussion on British literature! Do you not like this particular novel?

Choisya wrote:
I am not the best person to discuss marital relations pmath, which is what He Knew He was Right is about.

pmath wrote:
What about He Knew He Was Right?

Choisya wrote:
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: More on Anthony Trollope's HE KNEW HE WAS RIGHT

No, I don't particularly like it and find the subject difficult:smileysad:. I don't think I could do any novel, my likes and dislikes are too strong.

pmath wrote:
I think you would be a good leader of any discussion on British literature! Do you not like this particular novel?

Choisya wrote:
I am not the best person to discuss marital relations pmath, which is what He Knew He was Right is about.

pmath wrote:

Choisya wrote:

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For Choisya: Discussion of Two VINDICATIONs

Ah, I see: I find I dislike less as the years pass! How about Mary Wollstonecraft's
A Vindication of the Rights of Woman and Lyndall Gordon's Vindication: A Life of Mary Wollstonecraft, so that we don't have to wait until December to discuss them on the Literature by Women board?

Choisya wrote:
No, I don't particularly like it and find the subject difficult:smileysad:. I don't think I could do any novel, my likes and dislikes are too strong.

pmath wrote:

Choisya wrote:

pmath wrote:

Choisya wrote:
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: For pmath: Discussion of Two VINDICATIONs

[ Edited ]
I was leaving those to you:smileyhappy: Perhaps this isn't a good time to resurrect another British Classic. Maybe the Autumn will be better, when folks are getting out and about less and I have less gardening to do.

Perhaps Laurel would like to do He Knew He Was Right alongside PL?

pmath wrote:
Ah, I see: I find I dislike less as the years pass! How about Mary Wollstonecraft's
A Vindication of the Rights of Woman and Lyndall Gordon's Vindication: A Life of Mary Wollstonecraft, so that we don't have to wait until December to discuss them on the Literature by Women board?

Choisya wrote:

pmath wrote:

Choisya wrote:

pmath wrote:

Choisya wrote:

Message Edited by Choisya on 05-02-200702:07 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

More on a Discussion of Two VINDICATIONs

Now is certainly a better time to discuss AVotRoW than December! We could read it as slowly as you want to, and we know there's interest, from our discussion on the LbW board. You would be the more appropriate leader, since you're more familiar with it.

Choisya wrote:
I was leaving those to you:smileyhappy: Perhaps this isn't a good time to resurrect another British Classic. Maybe the Autumn will be better, when folks are getting out and about less and I have less gardening to do.

pmath wrote:
How about Mary Wollstonecraft's
Frequent Contributor
Wildflower
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:

I am new to this group, but I would be interested in Martin Chuzzlewit. I enjoy Dickens' and I have not yet had the pleasure of reading this one.
"It's never to late to be what you might have been" -George Eliot
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: More on a Discussion of Two VINDICATIONs

Mmmmmm....what do other folks think?

pmath wrote:
Now is certainly a better time to discuss AVotRoW than December! We could read it as slowly as you want to, and we know there's interest, from our discussion on the LbW board. You would be the more appropriate leader, since you're more familiar with it.

Choisya wrote:

pmath wrote:

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Wildflower wrote:

I am new to this group, but I would be interested in Martin Chuzzlewit. I enjoy Dickens' and I have not yet had the pleasure of reading this one.

Message Edited by Choisya on 05-21-200708:28 PM

Message Edited by Choisya on 05-21-200708:28 PM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Choisya, would you like to ask this question on the Literature by Women board, too?

Choisya wrote:

pmath wrote:

Choisya wrote:

pmath wrote:
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I've been thinking about the Vindications and I don't think I have the time at this time of year to devote to them. Perhaps when I come back from my holiday in Italy in September.

pmath wrote:
Choisya, would you like to ask this question on the Literature by Women board, too?

Choisya wrote:

pmath wrote:

Choisya wrote:

pmath wrote:

Frequent Contributor
PaulK
0 Kudos

Either one is good for me although I have a preference for Dickens.
Contributor
Kristen_C
0 Kudos

PaulK wrote:
Either one is good for me although I have a preference for Dickens.

Agreed. Hi all, I am new to this board, but would love to join a Dickens discussion.
~Kristen
The cottage of content is better than the palace of cold splendor and where love is, all is. ~Charles Dickens in David Copperfield
New User
slobone
0 Kudos

Hi y'all I'm a newbie here, so here's my 2 cents.

Dickens and Trollope are two of my favorite novelists. I've read maybe 10 or 11 books by each of them.

Martin Chuzzlewit isn't one of Dickens's best. The American episode really interrupts the flow of the novel (not to mention that it's very annoying for an American to read.)

The Eustace Diamonds on the other hand I think is very good, although not perhaps Trollope's best. It really only marginally belongs to the Palliser series. The main interest is in exploring the character of Lizzie Eustace, who's a bit like Becky Sharp. One of Trollope's most interesting characters.

I'm not sure I'd be interested in rereading either of these books, but if you start one I'll probably chime in from time to time.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Dickens or Trollope or Neither?

[ Edited ]
Thanks Slobone and Welcome! I agree that MC isn't one of Dicken's best but I was looking for something more unusual which folks might not have read or even heard of. I thought the American episode would amuse not annoy and it is historically interesting in the light of Dickens' first tour of America (but then I am a Brit:smileyvery-happy:). I agree with you about The Eustace Diamonds being the better of the two novels. Again, I was not looking for the best but for a more unusual Trollope novel which folks may not have read. Quite a few Dickens and Trollope (Palliser & Barchester) novels have already been read by old B&N readers here, on the former BNU website.

However, I have decided not to lead a discussion on either of them at this time. Of course, anyone else wishing to lead a discussion here on any British Classic is welcome to do so.

slobone wrote:
Hi y'all I'm a newbie here, so here's my 2 cents.

Dickens and Trollope are two of my favorite novelists. I've read maybe 10 or 11 books by each of them.

Martin Chuzzlewit isn't one of Dickens's best. The American episode really interrupts the flow of the novel (not to mention that it's very annoying for an American to read.)

The Eustace Diamonds on the other hand I think is very good, although not perhaps Trollope's best. It really only marginally belongs to the Palliser series. The main interest is in exploring the character of Lizzie Eustace, who's a bit like Becky Sharp. One of Trollope's most interesting characters.

I'm not sure I'd be interested in rereading either of these books, but if you start one I'll probably chime in from time to time.

Message Edited by Choisya on 05-12-200705:39 AM

Message Edited by Choisya on 05-21-200708:36 PM

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 3 members 275 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: