Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: Dickens or Trollope or Neither?

Well said, Choisya. If anyone wants to start up some Dickens or Trollope, it would be welcomed.

Choisya wrote:
Thanks Slobone and Welcome! I agree that MC isn't one of Dicken's best but I was looking for something more unusual which folks might not have read or even heard of. I thought the American episode would amuse not annoy and it is historically interesting in the light of Dickens' first tour of America (but then I am a Brit:smileyvery-happy:). I agree with you about The Eustace Diamonds being the better of the two novels. Again, I was not looking for the best but for a more unusual Trollope novel which folks may not have read. Quite a few Dickens and Trollope (Palliser & Barchester) novels have already been read by old B&N readers here, on the former BNU website.

However, I have decided not to lead a discussion on either of them at this time and to look at the idea again in the Autumn when I think people begin to read and discuss more books - after their holidays, when the nights draw in, and when I am doing less gardening!

Of course, anyone else wishing to lead a discussion here on any British Classic is welcome to do so.

slobone wrote:
Hi y'all I'm a newbie here, so here's my 2 cents.

Dickens and Trollope are two of my favorite novelists. I've read maybe 10 or 11 books by each of them.

Martin Chuzzlewit isn't one of Dickens's best. The American episode really interrupts the flow of the novel (not to mention that it's very annoying for an American to read.)

The Eustace Diamonds on the other hand I think is very good, although not perhaps Trollope's best. It really only marginally belongs to the Palliser series. The main interest is in exploring the character of Lizzie Eustace, who's a bit like Becky Sharp. One of Trollope's most interesting characters.

I'm not sure I'd be interested in rereading either of these books, but if you start one I'll probably chime in from time to time.

Message Edited by Choisya on 05-12-200705:39 AM

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Wordsmith
maude40
0 Kudos

Re: Dickens or Trollope?

I would love to do Dickens or Trollope. I've not read Trollope and have always wanted to.
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Hey we could do A Tale of Two Cities. It has been on my list of things I want to read for a long time.
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Contributor
ARMYRANGER
0 Kudos

I am rereading Bleak House after watching the wonderful BBC production (from 2005 starring Gillian Anderson as Lady Dedlock) on Masterpiece Theatre. It is a rather long book, but I think it is one of Dickens' best.
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

ARMYRANGER wrote:
I am rereading Bleak House after watching the wonderful BBC production (from 2005 starring Gillian Anderson as Lady Dedlock) on Masterpiece Theatre. It is a rather long book, but I think it is one of Dickens' best.

Great, I am ordering Bleak House in my summer book order. Sounds like a great book!
-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

I am also ordering Trollope's Barchester Towers and I will be reading both this summer.
-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
gluepot
0 Kudos

Wow! 17,000 views of this thread. What does that mean?
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

i think it means something cool. unfortunately, this thread is a bit on the down-time now. Come on over to Literature & Life for the current discussions, if you want.....

gluepot wrote:

Ilana

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I think it probably means that there are a lot of people out there who hope that the British Classics board is again active - it was once one of the most popular BN sections but IMO is needs a professional Moderator:smileysad:.

IlanaSimons wrote:
i think it means something cool. unfortunately, this thread is a bit on the down-time now. Come on over to Literature & Life for the current discussions, if you want.....

gluepot wrote:

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

ARMYRANGER wrote:

I have always wanted to read that.I will put it on my list. I have it already. I bought a big book of Dickens novels at a sale.
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
I think it probably means that there are a lot of people out there who hope that the British Classics board is again active - it was once one of the most popular BN sections but IMO is needs a professional Moderator:smileysad:.

IlanaSimons wrote:

gluepot wrote:

Yes, I feel like the British Classics board is dying. I never thought it would happen, you want to do something about Choisya? Alas, but what can we do? I can't mod because I really don't have enough time. You want to post on here Choisya still? I do, but it seems like most people have "moved on". I was suprised about it, and it's sad because we had some very interesting debates here. I don't want it to end!
-Albert Einstein
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I have gone off the idea of recussitating it HB. I feel it is up to B&N to do so and to appoint a suitable Moderator. Everyman valiantly tried with Gray's Elegy but got few 'takers':smileysad:.

historybuff234 wrote:

Choisya wrote:

IlanaSimons wrote:

gluepot wrote:

Yes, I feel like the British Classics board is dying. I never thought it would happen, you want to do something about Choisya? Alas, but what can we do? I can't mod because I really don't have enough time. You want to post on here Choisya still? I do, but it seems like most people have "moved on". I was suprised about it, and it's sad because we had some very interesting debates here. I don't want it to end!

New User
readsalot777
0 Kudos

Hi-

I am new to this board. Is it still active?

Thanks, Deirdre
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Hi Deirdre,
This board is not really active, unfortunately. Check out some of the others. I run a Literature & Life club, and the Literature by Women club is quite active, often covering British classics.
Ilana

readsalot777 wrote:
Hi-

Thanks, Deirdre

Ilana

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

And we are nominating books for the next 3-4 months of reading in Literature by Women. Feel free to send me a PM with any nominations and voting will occur from Jan 10-14. I'll have the reading list updated on January 15. :smileyhappy:

IlanaSimons wrote:
Hi Deirdre,
This board is not really active, unfortunately. Check out some of the others. I run a Literature & Life club, and the Literature by Women club is quite active, often covering British classics.
Ilana

readsalot777 wrote:
Hi-

Thanks, Deirdre

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Deirde: Literature by Women sometimes does books by British women and sometimes not. Similarly, sometimes they are classics and sometimes they are not:smileyhappy:. We are currently nominating our next book for reading and you are welcome to add something to the list for us to vote upon.

The Epics book club also does some British classics although our next read there, starting in February, is Anna Karenina, a Russian novel. Again, you are welcome to join us.

IlanaSimons wrote:
Hi Deirdre,
Ilana

readsalot777 wrote:
Hi-

Thanks, Deirdre

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Nobody has gathered the interest to select and moderate a book recently. It tends to be the case that without strong moderation, most books don't generate very exciting discussions. Sad but true.

readsalot777 wrote:
Hi-

Thanks, Deirdre

0 Kudos

Re: Anthony Trollope's HE KNEW HE WAS RIGHT

"Can you forgive her" by Anthony Trollope is my favorite book.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Anthony Trollope's HE KNEW HE WAS RIGHT

I love Trollope, too, but frankly prefer the Barchester serie and some of the single books (like Orley Farm, He Knew He Was Right, and a few others) to the Palliser series. I really don't get along with Planty Pal, and even Lady Glencora palls on me after awhile.

But I'm delighted to see that there is another Trollope lover here. He isn't that popular these days, particularly on this side of the pond, which is a shame.

amberjpb123 wrote:
"Can you forgive her" by Anthony Trollope is my favorite book.

0 Kudos

Dickens was so amazing..anything you read by the man is so contemporary, even today. Like Jane Austen, you could take most of his stories and truly modernize them...which Hollywood has done. Love Ms. Haversham...such a wonderful, clever, angry character.

Favorite Dickens will always be A christmas Carol.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 9 members 227 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: