Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Elizabeth Gaskell's NORTH AND SOUTH

[ Edited ]
Would fans of British classics here like to read and discuss N&S this month? Here's a link to a conversation Choisya and I had at the Frankenstein board:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board/message?board.id=Frankenstein&message.id=313

pmath wrote:
Choisya, it's one of my favorites, too: it reminds me of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice (another novel recently adapted to film).

Choisya wrote:
Excellent idea pmath - especially North & South, which has always resonated with me because I am a tough Northern gal who moved to the genteel South of England, so I know the difference between the two cultures:smileyhappy:

pmath wrote:
Ilana, I have a suggestion for the British Classics board. Perhaps we could we read literary works recently adapted to film: it would be interesting to compare the films to the originals. Were any novels by Elizabeth Gaskell discussed at BNU? If not, we could discuss North and South.

Penguin Classics edition:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?EAN=9780140434248

Norton Critical Edition:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?EAN=9780393979084

BBC adaptation:
http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?EAN=794051245328

IlanaSimons wrote (message linked here):
I will launch the British Classics section soon,...

Message Edited by pmath on 12-19-200610:23 AM

Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Re: Elizabeth Gaskell's NORTH AND SOUTH

I've never read North & South but I've heard it's very good. I'd be interested in reading and discussing it. Perhaps in January, after all the holidays have passed?
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Yes, please feel free to start a _North and South_ discussion whenever you're ready.
In terms of formal new B&N clubs, I'll be doing Kafka in January, but I would like to do a Gaskell club soon, so thanks for the head's up. We'll get there... Too many books!

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Elizabeth Gaskell's NORTH AND SOUTH ??

I am not too keen on joining a discussion without some structure/guidance from a Moderator, which I feel we need. Other discussions without Moderators have floundered here and the Xmas period may mean that readers are fewer on the ground anyway. Are you unable to lead such a discussion on N&S because you are contracted to do Kafka only at this stage?

pmath wrote:
Would fans of British classics here like to read and discuss N&S this month? Here's a link to a conversation Choisya and I had at the Frankenstein board:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board/message?board.id=Frankenstein&message.id=313

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I am always logging on, and would tune into NORTH AND SOUTH as soon as we wanted to start. I was really talking technicalities: In order for me to list a string of questions and lead a full discussion myself, I gotta pick up the book again! I will, I think, in the new year.... For the time being, I'm going to be dedicating energy to hosting the threads we got up here.

Again: Please do use this space to discuss NORTH AND SOUTH, and I will chime in and learn as we go, with all of you.

Choisya wrote:
I am not too keen on joining a discussion without some structure/guidance from a Moderator, which I feel we need. Other discussions without Moderators have floundered here and the Xmas period may mean that readers are fewer on the ground anyway. Are you unable to lead such a discussion on N&S because you are contracted to do Kafka only at this stage?

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 12-02-200608:20 AM

Ilana

Inspired Contributor
debbaker
0 Kudos

I am obviously a novice here. I have not read Gaskell's NORTH AND SOUTH. I am looking to purchase it as we speak. I am however, reading Gaskell's CRANFORD. I would love to discuss the book, I will begin reading ASAP.
Deb
booknook516.blogspot.com

simplicity of character is the natural result of profound thought
william hazlitt
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Great. Don't feel like a novice. Tell us what you're getting from CRANFORD. This might be a nice discussion to move over to the Woman Writers thread....

debbaker wrote:
I am obviously a novice here. I have not read Gaskell's NORTH AND SOUTH. I am looking to purchase it as we speak. I am however, reading Gaskell's CRANFORD. I would love to discuss the book, I will begin reading ASAP.

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 12-02-200601:22 PM

Ilana

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Elizabeth Gaskell CRANFORD now in Women Writers

IlanaSimons wrote:
Great. Don't feel like a novice. Tell us what you're getting from CRANFORD. This might be a nice discussion to move over to the Woman Writers thread....

debbaker wrote:

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 12-02-200601:22 PM

OK I'll move it over to the Woman Writer's thread:smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Question for Ilana: B&N Classics Editions of Elizabeth Gaskell's work

Ilana, will we need to use a B&N Classics edition? If so, at the moment, we could only discuss the two books below on a separate board, and perhaps we should start discussing North and South here instead after Christmas, when everyone will have more time, and to give everyone a chance to get a copy of the book!

B&N Classics edition of Wives and Daughters:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/BookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?EAN=9781593082574

B&N Classics edition of The Life of Charlotte Brontë:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/BookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?EAN=9781593083144

IlanaSimons wrote:
In terms of formal new B&N clubs, I'll be doing Kafka in January, but I would like to do a Gaskell club soon, so thanks for the head's up.
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: Question for Ilana: B&N Classics Editions of Elizabeth Gaskell's work

pmath wrote:
Ilana, will we need to use a B&N Classics edition? If so, at the moment, we could only discuss the two books below on a separate board, and perhaps we should start discussing North and South here instead after Christmas, when everyone will have more time, and to give everyone a chance to get a copy of the book!

IlanaSimons wrote:
In terms of formal new B&N clubs, I'll be doing Kafka in January, but I would like to do a Gaskell club soon, so thanks for the head's up.

Hi pmath,
I do agree we should do a Gaskell now, but we've actually opted do CRANFORD, because it's light and episodic--which means that people can join the discussion after reading just the first episode (the first 2 chapters, which were initially printed as a short story on their own, in Dickens' magazine).

I started this CRANFORD dicussion in the ARRIVAL OF THE WOMAN WRITER thread. Click into that thread, and please join the discussion. I will certainly try to get to your other suggestions after the new year. I think your suggestion of NORTH AND SOUTH is a great one.

For weekly updates on what's going on in this board, which might otherwise get confusing!, see the WEEKLY UPDATE thread, which I'll routinely change.

Thanks a lot
I hope you'll want to read some CRANFORD...
Ilana

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
book-nut
0 Kudos

Re: Question for Ilana: B&N Classics Editions of Elizabeth Gaskell's work

Does anyone know of a place where I can read "Cranford" online? My Barnes and Noble only has "Wives and Daughters", and if I order Cranford online, it could take a week to get it... thanks!!
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

"Cranford" online

book-nut wrote:
Does anyone know of a place where I can read "Cranford" online? My Barnes and Noble only has "Wives and Daughters", and if I order Cranford online, it could take a week to get it... thanks!!

Here it is. I'm on ch. 2 now.

http://www.lang.nagoya-u.ac.jp/%7Ematsuoka/EG-Cranford.html
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

NORTH AND SOUTH v. CRANFORD

[ Edited ]
Thanks, Ilana: I did read Cranford years ago, although I don't remember very much about it.

IlanaSimons wrote:
I will certainly try to get to your other suggestions after the new year. I think your suggestion of NORTH AND SOUTH is a great one.

I hope you'll want to read some CRANFORD...

pmath wrote:

IlanaSimons wrote:

Message Edited by pmath on 02-03-200709:45 PM

Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

I already got my Kafka volume!

Denise
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Hi Denise. I'm excited that you'll join in on Kafka, a group that'll start in the new year.

Any chance that before then you want to tune into chapter 1-2 of CRANFORD, which is available online? We're launching the discussion in the Woman Writers thread.

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

I'll have to pass on Cranford. I'm finishing Leaves of Grass (Bob is amazed that I'm actually reading it in it's entirety but I love it) and I want to finish House of the Seven Gables and I just got an email from my local BN that my edition of A Christmas Carol is in (believe it or not, I have not read the Dickens story yet). So, my plate is full. I'm actually planning on adding a couple of days of commuting by bus to work and a plane trip to visit my family for Christmas just to get more reading in (okay, I had other reasons than just to have more reading time!). I also see the picture of the Jane Eyre volume posted as the masthead for this group. I hope we'll be discussing that book. I really enjoyed it!

Denise
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

donyskiw wrote:
I'll have to pass on Cranford. I'm finishing Leaves of Grass (Bob is amazed that I'm actually reading it in it's entirety but I love it) and I want to finish House of the Seven Gables and I just got an email from my local BN that my edition of A Christmas Carol is in (believe it or not, I have not read the Dickens story yet). So, my plate is full. I'm actually planning on adding a couple of days of commuting by bus to work and a plane trip to visit my family for Christmas just to get more reading in (okay, I had other reasons than just to have more reading time!). I also see the picture of the Jane Eyre volume posted as the masthead for this group. I hope we'll be discussing that book. I really enjoyed it!

Denise

yay and yow!
Great reading here. Can't wait to have you for Kafka.

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

I'm looking forward to it. I'm going to start reading some of the other short stories before the group starts.

Denise
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

I am not too keen on joining a discussion without some structure/guidance from a Moderator, which I feel we need.

I agree with that. But that doesn't mean that we have to wait for BN to assign a moderator. In many book discussion groups, both on line and off line, one person (or sometimes two or three) person is assigned to be the moderator for the discussion.

There are lots of talented people here. I see no reason why a person with a passion for a book and a willingess to organize a discussion couldn't step forward, start a thread, say for example "I will moderate a discussion of Eliot's Middlemarch starting on February 1st," and go for it.

We are all educated people, and many of us have leadership and organizational expertise and experience. Why do we have to sit around like sheep waiting for BN to assign us an official moderator?

Choose a book, set a time giving people enough time to get the book and start reading, and Just Do It!
0 Kudos

I think Pmath has done just that with Pnorth and Psouth, and I am glad to see that Everyman has just vounteered for Pmiddlemarch. Anyone for Psmith? With the novels, especially, I think we have enough talented people here that we don't need to be led by the hand every step of the way.

Everyman wrote:
I am not too keen on joining a discussion without some structure/guidance from a Moderator, which I feel we need.

I agree with that. But that doesn't mean that we have to wait for BN to assign a moderator. In many book discussion groups, both on line and off line, one person (or sometimes two or three) person is assigned to be the moderator for the discussion.

There are lots of talented people here. I see no reason why a person with a passion for a book and a willingess to organize a discussion couldn't step forward, start a thread, say for example "I will moderate a discussion of Eliot's Middlemarch starting on February 1st," and go for it.

We are all educated people, and many of us have leadership and organizational expertise and experience. Why do we have to sit around like sheep waiting for BN to assign us an official moderator?

Choose a book, set a time giving people enough time to get the book and start reading, and Just Do It!

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 41 members 635 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: