Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: The need for B&N Moderators.

I believe online discussions are different to high street ones where you know the people concerned. Nor is it a question of being sheep. It is a question of vested authority. I prefer to have a Moderator here who can discipline the discussion and remove any untoward posts, if necessary. There have been instances in the past where this has been necessary. We do not actually know whether there are qualified people here or not - they could be 'posers', as if often the case on the internet. If Moderators are appointed by Barnes & Noble, we know that their credentials are reliable. Also reader-moderators can have their own 'axes to grind' and thereby pursue points of view which are not generally acceptable. I could, for instance, have a passion for Jane Eyre and offer to moderate it but might pursue both a Feminist and a Marxist point of view, which would be completely unacceptable to everyone else:smileyhappy::smileyhappy: There are also 'flamers' out there who deliberately set out to do this. I would certainly be unwilling to accept any reader not authorised by B&N as Moderator because of the many things that could go wrong.

Everyman wrote:
I am not too keen on joining a discussion without some structure/guidance from a Moderator, which I feel we need.

I agree with that. But that doesn't mean that we have to wait for BN to assign a moderator. In many book discussion groups, both on line and off line, one person (or sometimes two or three) person is assigned to be the moderator for the discussion.

There are lots of talented people here. I see no reason why a person with a passion for a book and a willingess to organize a discussion couldn't step forward, start a thread, say for example "I will moderate a discussion of Eliot's Middlemarch starting on February 1st," and go for it.

We are all educated people, and many of us have leadership and organizational expertise and experience. Why do we have to sit around like sheep waiting for BN to assign us an official moderator?

Choose a book, set a time giving people enough time to get the book and start reading, and Just Do It!

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Elizabeth Gaskell's NORTH AND SOUTH ??

[ Edited ]
What happened to Cranford?? These unstructured discussions led by one and all are getting nowhere and are just like the many other book club 'discussions' online. Look at the statistics on the boards and you will see that Moderator and/Author led discussions are the ones that are getting the hits. We all have favourite books we would like to discuss but it stands to reason that the boards cannot support all our wishes. A good discussion needs a fair number of readers per book - too many books and would-be Moderators means fewer discussants. (Poor Ziki has twice bought books and joined discussions that had no 'takers'!) Now, if we don't like the way a discussion is going we can decide to put up another one, just as people today flick their remote controls when they sit before the TV. It is a retrogade step IMO:smileysad::smileysad:

Laurel wrote:
I think Pmath has done just that with Pnorth and Psouth, and I am glad to see that Everyman has just vounteered for Pmiddlemarch. Anyone for Psmith? With the novels, especially, I think we have enough talented people here that we don't need to be led by the hand every step of the way.

Everyman wrote:
I am not too keen on joining a discussion without some structure/guidance from a Moderator, which I feel we need.

I agree with that. But that doesn't mean that we have to wait for BN to assign a moderator. In many book discussion groups, both on line and off line, one person (or sometimes two or three) person is assigned to be the moderator for the discussion.

There are lots of talented people here. I see no reason why a person with a passion for a book and a willingess to organize a discussion couldn't step forward, start a thread, say for example "I will moderate a discussion of Eliot's Middlemarch starting on February 1st," and go for it.

We are all educated people, and many of us have leadership and organizational expertise and experience. Why do we have to sit around like sheep waiting for BN to assign us an official moderator?

Choose a book, set a time giving people enough time to get the book and start reading, and Just Do It!

Message Edited by Choisya on 12-10-200609:02 AM

Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

What happened to Cranford? or Frankenstein?

"A good discussion needs a fair number of readers per book - too many books and would-be Moderators means fewer discussants."

I concur!! I even reread Cranford to freshen up for a rollicking group discussion. And in Frankenstein, I was in the midst of "ruminating" about some topics and felt that I had a good deal more to say when the discussion fizzled. I like to "sink my teeth" into something, and this flitting about from one subject to another is not working for me. I guess I'll be going back to being a "reader" rather than a "contributor".
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: E Lee : What happened to Cranford? or Frankenstein?

[ Edited ]
Thanks E Lee: In the meantime Bob Fanuzzir has gone to a great deal of trouble to put up Moby Dick (not a B&N scheduled book) for us and to draw up some very interesting chapter headings but only 3 people have posted. It is all very well to discuss who will be moderators of this and that in the future but what about the hard work of a real moderator right now? I also reread Cranford in anticipation and thought there might be some more mileage in Thoreau but no sooner had I got to grips with those (and knowing that Moby Dick was on the horizon) then North and South, Shakespeare etc etc etc became hot topics elsewhere. If there was a large readership here this might work but as it is there are only a few of us classics readers online and we need to concentrate our efforts in order to have something to, as you say, 'sink our teeth' into.

(I also find it interesting that although there have been offers to moderate very English classics, no-one has volunteered to moderate any American ones. Why do you suppose this is? BTW neither Cranford nor Moby Dick were books that I would have chosen from the first lists that were bandied around but when they were put up and because of the 'majority vote' I went along with them - despite worrying quite a lot about the gory whaling references in MD:smileysad: )

ELee wrote:
"A good discussion needs a fair number of readers per book - too many books and would-be Moderators means fewer discussants."

I concur!! I even reread Cranford to freshen up for a rollicking group discussion. And in Frankenstein, I was in the midst of "ruminating" about some topics and felt that I had a good deal more to say when the discussion fizzled. I like to "sink my teeth" into something, and this flitting about from one subject to another is not working for me. I guess I'll be going back to being a "reader" rather than a "contributor".

Message Edited by Choisya on 12-10-200610:30 AM

Message Edited by Choisya on 12-10-200610:41 AM

Message Edited by Choisya on 12-10-200610:53 AM

Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

"In the meantime Bob Fanuzzir has gone to a great deal of trouble to put up Moby Dick (not a B&N scheduled book) for us and to draw up some very interesting chapter headings but only 3 people have posted."

I have not posted because I am not yet prepared. Bob wrote:

"The discussion will begin 12/26, the day after the narrative of the novel is supposed to begin."

I was planning on beginning the discussion on Dec 26. As I have mentioned in other posts, I went to B&N and purchased my "Norton" of Moby Dick. I don't want to think negatively, but if this takes off prematurely and "dies", I will be joining ziki in having a book that there is no discussion for. (-not to take anything away from MD or HM; I still treasure the book) I also thought THOSG would have lasted longer than it did. I think dates need to be a part of our structuring as it was prior to the "new" book club.
Frequent Contributor
book-nut
0 Kudos

Re: What happened to Cranford? or Frankenstein?

ELee wrote:

I concur!! I even reread Cranford to freshen up for a rollicking group discussion. And in Frankenstein, I was in the midst of "ruminating" about some topics and felt that I had a good deal more to say when the discussion fizzled. I like to "sink my teeth" into something, and this flitting about from one subject to another is not working for me. I guess I'll be going back to being a "reader" rather than a uot;contributor".

I agree. I am enjoy reading the books, but I think these discussions need to be "anchored" better. The format needs to be "focused in" a little more. Speaking of which, where did 'Cranford' go? Is it still here? I was off to a slow start on that one, but was finally getting into the atmosphere of it ~ :-) Is anyone else still reading? I liked the ending of Chapter 2, there was such a happy ending for Jessie ~ when her father died, there was (of course) a suitor waiting to marry her. Such a classically happy ending! Perhaps a bit unrealistic, but then again, 'happy endings' do occasionally happen in real life!
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: E Lee : Oh I was mistaken!!! Sorry folks!

ELee wrote:
"In the meantime Bob Fanuzzir has gone to a great deal of trouble to put up Moby Dick (not a B&N scheduled book) for us and to draw up some very interesting chapter headings but only 3 people have posted."

I have not posted because I am not yet prepared. Bob wrote:

"The discussion will begin 12/26, the day after the narrative of the novel is supposed to begin."

I was planning on beginning the discussion on Dec 26. As I have mentioned in other posts, I went to B&N and purchased my "Norton" of Moby Dick. I don't want to think negatively, but if this takes off prematurely and "dies", I will be joining ziki in having a book that there is no discussion for. (-not to take anything away from MD or HM; I still treasure the book) I also thought THOSG would have lasted longer than it did. I think dates need to be a part of our structuring as it was prior to the "new" book club.

Oh I think this is my misreading of the way the date was written - I read that as the 12th! - you know that Brits put the day-date first (I ignored the 26). SORRY FOLKS! I'll see you on Boxing Day!!!!! Merry Christmas!!!
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: What happened to Cranford? or Frankenstein?

book-nut wrote:

ELee wrote:

I concur!! I even reread Cranford to freshen up for a rollicking group discussion. And in Frankenstein, I was in the midst of "ruminating" about some topics and felt that I had a good deal more to say when the discussion fizzled. I like to "sink my teeth" into something, and this flitting about from one subject to another is not working for me. I guess I'll be going back to being a "reader" rather than a uot;contributor".

I agree. I am enjoy reading the books, but I think these discussions need to be "anchored" better. The format needs to be "focused in" a little more. Speaking of which, where did 'Cranford' go? Is it still here? I was off to a slow start on that one, but was finally getting into the atmosphere of it ~ :-) Is anyone else still reading? I liked the ending of Chapter 2, there was such a happy ending for Jessie ~ when her father died, there was (of course) a suitor waiting to marry her. Such a classically happy ending! Perhaps a bit unrealistic, but then again, 'happy endings' do occasionally happen in real life!

Cranford is still there Booknut and I am sure E Lee and I would be glad if you joined in. There seems to be more discussion of books to be discussed than discussing books already up and running which is a great shame, especially for the hard-working Moderators:smileysad:
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: What happened to Cranford? or Frankenstein? or...?

ELee wrote:

Unfortunately that happened to any book I singled out here so far. It is not fun.

ziki
New User
Dariamae
0 Kudos

So, today is my first day. Technically, I'm still in my first hour of posting. But I was super excited about the thought of doing a North and South discussion, or even just an Elizabeth Gaskill discussion, but it doesn't look like we've started one. I know Cranford was mentioned as a possibility, but what about her short stories, like, "Lois the Witch?" Is there a way to get it going? It appears that there is a lot of interest, since I just read through 30 other posts. I giess I should go look through more posts to see what's up, but I just got so thrilled seeing North and South, one of my favorite books ever, that I wanted to jump in and join.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Dariamae wrote:
So, today is my first day. Technically, I'm still in my first hour of posting. But I was super excited about the thought of doing a North and South discussion, or even just an Elizabeth Gaskill discussion, but it doesn't look like we've started one. I know Cranford was mentioned as a possibility, but what about her short stories, like, "Lois the Witch?" Is there a way to get it going? It appears that there is a lot of interest, since I just read through 30 other posts. I giess I should go look through more posts to see what's up, but I just got so thrilled seeing North and South, one of my favorite books ever, that I wanted to jump in and join.

Welcome! We're discussing Cranford at the present, have just started so it's a good time for you to jump in. You'll find it in the thread titled " The Arrival of the Woman Writer: Now Discussing Elizabeth Gaskell's CRANFORD"

North and South won't be opened for discussion until later, perhaps January though I'm ot sure a specific date has been mentioned yet.
0 Kudos

Re: Elizabeth Gaskell's NORTH AND SOUTH

I would very much be interested in discussing that book! I know I mentioned it in another post a moment ago, but what about Ms. Gaskells's short stories, too? Like, "Lois the Witch?" And if not, then a huge YES to reading North and South! It is one of my favorites. :smileyhappy:
New User
Dariamae
0 Kudos

Thank you for the welcome! And the clarification. :smileyhappy: It's been a while since I have been on the boards, and I think I somehow forgot how they work or became a little overeager to join. :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Discussion of NORTH AND SOUTH to start on January 4, 2007

Dariamae, I'm very glad to hear you're interested in reading North and South, too! I've posted a copy of the schedule below.

pmath wrote (message linked here):
Chapters I through XIII: January 4 to 10
Chapters XIV through XXVI: January 11 to 17
Chapters XXVII through XXXIX: January 18 to 24
Chapters XL through LII: January 25 to 31

Dariamae wrote:
I would very much be interested in discussing that book! ...a huge YES to reading North and South! It is one of my favorites. :smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

I'm with E.Lee. Choisya, don't forget, many (most?) of us aren't retired. Over forty of our hours every week are spent at jobs. I'd really like to read all of the classic books that have been suggested but I've found myself overwhelmed. That's why I've been one of the ones crying out for structure. There was no advanced warning on Leaves of Grass and, by the time I received my volume, the discussion was already dying out. I'm still finishing House of the Seven Gables even though I know the plot because I read the messages but no one is talking anymore because everyone jumped right into the discussion instead of allowing for time for those who had not read the novel before and didn't have the time to read it as quickly as the others. I participated in "Civil Disobedience" because I read it before and it was quick to reread. I still haven't begun A Christmas Carol yet (there was no advance knowledge of the Christmas classics board) and Library of America sent me the wrong Melville volume so I have to reorder the one with Moby Dick in it. I begged off the short stories and Cranford and Catcher in the Rye because there are no elves or servants to take care of the other demands of life. I simply cannot read all of them at the same time.

Denise
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Re: The need for B&N Moderators.

[ Edited ]
Yeah, I remember someone who was a bit wacky in our Brave New World/Catch-22 discussion!

Denise

Message Edited by donyskiw on 12-11-200610:30 AM

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Dariamae wrote:
Thank you for the welcome! And the clarification. :smileyhappy: It's been a while since I have been on the boards, and I think I somehow forgot how they work or became a little overeager to join. :smileyhappy:

Welcome Dariamae.
Here's what B&N Classics is currently offering, and I do hope you choose to join us.
This month, B&N's Bob Fanuzzi is hosting a discussion of Melville's Moby Dick.
In January, I'll be hosting a book club on Kafka, and Bob will move on to The Jungle.

In addition, the American and British Classics Boards provide an open space for any questions you want to raise, or short topics you'd like to discuss with others. There has been some talk about various independent reading groups in these Boards, so if you find one you want to foster, jump in.
Welcome!

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

donyskiw wrote:
I'm with E.Lee. Choisya, don't forget, many (most?) of us aren't retired. Over forty of our hours every week are spent at jobs. I'd really like to read all of the classic books that have been suggested but I've found myself overwhelmed. That's why I've been one of the ones crying out for structure. There was no advanced warning on Leaves of Grass and, by the time I received my volume, the discussion was already dying out. I'm still finishing House of the Seven Gables even though I know the plot because I read the messages but no one is talking anymore because everyone jumped right into the discussion instead of allowing for time for those who had not read the novel before and didn't have the time to read it as quickly as the others. I participated in "Civil Disobedience" because I read it before and it was quick to reread. I still haven't begun A Christmas Carol yet (there was no advance knowledge of the Christmas classics board) and Library of America sent me the wrong Melville volume so I have to reorder the one with Moby Dick in it. I begged off the short stories and Cranford and Catcher in the Rye because there are no elves or servants to take care of the other demands of life. I simply cannot read all of them at the same time.

Denise

I have pointed out several times to those compiling these lengthy book lists, that there are many people on these boards who actually do some work Denise and I sympathise with your plight. Here are some Elves to play with - perhaps you could invite them home:smileyhappy:

http://www.fairychildren.com/dingle_dell/dingledell.shtml
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Oh, how cute! I'd even put my kitty in one of the bedrooms (which he'd hate - he wants the run of the whole house) if the elves tell me when they're coming over so Dizzy doesn't try to eat them!

Denise
Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

Denise,
I too am ovewhelmed by the book selection. I do a lot of reading in transit to work and usually have at least two books with me to read or review passages for comment. I have changed these books three times in one week in order to attempt to keep up with the "spirts" of conversation. I won't do it anymore!! I am also becoming very discouraged by the amount of time required to wade through pages and pages of posts as the threads get longer. The shame of it is, I really want to participate and enjoy myself, but it is becoming impossible!
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 14 members 239 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: