Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For Ilana: Voting on Selections

Ilana, I thought I would pass along this suggestion from Choisya, posted on the board for The Meaning of Night.

Choisya wrote (message linked here):
There should also be a way to vote, say once a month, upon which books to read next instead of the endless discussions.
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: For Ilana: Voting on Selections

This is a good suggestion. Here's where the B&N book club design stands now: The general American Classics and British Classics Groups are spaces for rather free-ranging discussions. They are open spaces--and don't launch the same sort of structured discussions that the particular book clubs hold. Every so often, structure does find its way into the general Classics discussions... But for the more particularized book discussions, do log onto the distinct book groups we offer. We just finished up Frankenstein, and soon we'll be launching Moby Dick, The Jungle, and Kafka.

We are listening to your requests for new specific book groups. So keep sending them--and we will base new book club decisions on your suggestions. So, hopefully this structure makes sense.... We will continue to offer both the generalized discussion groups in the Classics sections, and the more detailed and structured discussions of the individual book groups.
Feel free to be renegades in the generalized sections: Launch any book discussions you want, with or without the structure a moderator lends.

Thanks for the input so far
Ilana

pmath wrote:
Ilana, I thought I would pass along this suggestion from Choisya, posted on the board for The Meaning of Night.

There should also be a way to vote, say once a month, upon which books to read next instead of the endless discussions.

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For Choisya, LizzieAnn and debbaker: January

[ Edited ]
Ladies, since there is no British classic scheduled for discussion in January, and you're all interested in reading Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South after Christmas, I'll start a discussion next month, as Ilana suggests below. As I noted in an earlier message, there is currently no B&N Classics edition available, so we probably can't discuss it on a separate board in the near future anyway!

I have the Penguin Classics edition, and I hope someone plans to purchase the new Norton Critical Edition. There are 52 chapters, so perhaps we should discuss 13 chapters per week over four weeks, and compare it to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice afterward.

IlanaSimons wrote:
Feel free to be renegades in the generalized sections: Launch any book discussions you want, with or without the structure a moderator lends.

Message Edited by pmath on 12-05-200611:08 AM

Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Re: For Choisya, LizzieAnn and debbaker: January

Sounds good. We'll start sometime after New Year's - like the 3rd & 4th?

pmath wrote:
Ladies, since there is no British classic scheduled for discussion in January, and you're all interested in reading Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South after Christmas, I'll start a discussion next month, as Ilana suggests below. As I noted in an earlier message, there is currently no B&N Classics edition available, so we probably can't discuss it on a separate board in the near future anyway!

I have the Penguin Classics edition, and I hope someone plans to purchase the new Norton Critical Edition. There are 52 chapters, so perhaps we should discuss 13 chapters per week over four weeks, and compare it to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice afterward.

IlanaSimons wrote:

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Ilana,
Thanks for explaining to me the difference between the American and British Classics boards and the other book discussions boards that will be featuring specific books. I was getting confused on which books I was supposed to be reading and how I was going to keep up with them. Now I understand the format better.

Denise
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

donyskiw wrote:
Ilana,
Thanks for explaining to me the difference between the American and British Classics boards and the other book discussions boards that will be featuring specific books. I was getting confused on which books I was supposed to be reading and how I was going to keep up with them. Now I understand the format better.

Denise

Sure. I do apologize for the confusion when it happens. I'm glad there are already renegades with Gaskell's NORTH AND SOUTH in this British Classics reading community. I'll be a member in that discussion as it goes....
Ilana

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 12-05-200612:06 PM

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

No need to apologize. We're all figuring it out and we all appreciate the hard work the moderators are doing.

Denise
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

North and South

Does anyone know if there's an audio version of North and South?

LizzieAnn wrote:

pmath wrote:

IlanaSimons wrote:

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Thanks to B&N

Thanks for bringing us up to date, Ilana. And I want to express my thanks to Barnes and noble for making these discussions possible. I realize that you have no obligation to us at all, and I for one appreciate the efforts you've been making. And for letting us read Moby dick together with a well-qualified leader!

IlanaSimons wrote:
This is a good suggestion. Here's where the B&N book club design stands now: The general American Classics and British Classics Groups are spaces for rather free-ranging discussions. They are open spaces--and don't launch the same sort of structured discussions that the particular book clubs hold. Every so often, structure does find its way into the general Classics discussions... But for the more particularized book discussions, do log onto the distinct book groups we offer. We just finished up Frankenstein, and soon we'll be launching Moby Dick, The Jungle, and Kafka.

We are listening to your requests for new specific book groups. So keep sending them--and we will base new book club decisions on your suggestions. So, hopefully this structure makes sense.... We will continue to offer both the generalized discussion groups in the Classics sections, and the more detailed and structured discussions of the individual book groups.

Thanks for the input so far
Ilana

pmath wrote:

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: Thanks to B&N

[ Edited ]
My thanks too Ilana and my thanks to B&N. Despite my criticisms (which appear to be fairly universal) I very much appreciate and enjoy these book clubs. As I have said on these boards before, I live alone with my two cats and suffer from insomnia which means I am often up at night when American folks are online and using the boards. Participation in these intelligent discussions - and there are none like them elsewhere online - has warded off my SAD ('winter sadness') for several years now.

Laurel wrote:
Thanks for bringing us up to date, Ilana. And I want to express my thanks to Barnes and noble for making these discussions possible. I realize that you have no obligation to us at all, and I for one appreciate the efforts you've been making. And for letting us read Moby dick together with a well-qualified leader!

Message Edited by Choisya on 12-06-200603:36 AM

Message Edited by Choisya on 12-06-200603:37 AM

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: Thanks to B&N

[ Edited ]
These words warm me up too. It's just starting to get cold here in NYC.
Thanks, all of you. I've been loving my experience here. Your comments teach me a lot.

Choisya wrote:
My thanks too Ilana and my thanks to B&N. Despite my criticisms (which appear to be fairly universal) I very much appreciate and enjoy these book clubs. As I have said on these boards before, I live alone with my two cats and suffer from insomnia which means I am often up at night when American folks are online and using the boards. Participation in these intelligent discussions - and there are none like them elsewhere online - has warded off my SAD ('winter sadness') for several years now.

Laurel wrote:

Message Edited by Choisya on 12-06-200603:36 AM

Message Edited by Choisya on 12-06-200603:37 AM

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 12-06-200612:00 PM

Ilana

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Schedule for reading N&S

LizzieAnn, we could follow this schedule:

Chapters I through XIII: January 4 to 10
Chapters XIV through XXVI: January 11 to 17
Chapters XXVII through XXXIX: January 18 to 24
Chapters XL through LII: January 25 to 31
Yes, Laurel, there are audiobooks available, but I didn't find any at bn.com.

Laurel wrote:
Does anyone know if there's an audio version of North and South?

LizzieAnn wrote:

pmath wrote:
Ladies, since there is no British classic scheduled for discussion in January, and you're all interested in reading Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South after Christmas, I'll start a discussion next month, as Ilana suggests below.

IlanaSimons wrote:

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

For Ilana: MARY BARTON and NORTH AND SOUTH

Ilana, I'm very glad to hear you'll be joining us next month! I plan to read Mary Barton meanwhile, for perspective.

IlanaSimons wrote:
I'm glad there are already renegades with Gaskell's NORTH AND SOUTH in this British Classics reading community. I'll be a member in that discussion as it goes....
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Re: Schedule for reading N&S

Sounds good - so January 4th then, if everyone is in agreement?

pmath wrote:
LizzieAnn, we could follow this schedule:

Chapters I through XIII: January 4 to 10
Chapters XIV through XXVI: January 11 to 17
Chapters XXVII through XXXIX: January 18 to 24
Chapters XL through LII: January 25 to 31
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Idylls of the King/Eugene Onegin

I would like to have someone with whom to read Tennyson's "Idylls of the King" and Pushkin's "Eugene Onegin."
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: Idylls of the King/Eugene Onegin

Laurel wrote:
I would like to have someone with whom to read Tennyson's "Idylls of the King" and Pushkin's "Eugene Onegin."

I would be up for Tennyson after the holidays. Not sure whetehre I'm up for Eugene Onegin.
Users Online
Currently online: 6 members 187 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: