Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
alfprof212
0 Kudos

Frankenstein: Beginning at the end

What are the benefits of beginning at the end?  The novel comes full circle, with us first meeting Victor after he has “lost everything and cannot begin anew.”  Why would Shelley want to begin with the end?

Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Re: Frankenstein: Beginning at the end

[ Edited ]
This was one is a little controversial. Do you see life as something that continually renews itself (i.e. something circular) or do you think Shelley may have? My guess is that Shelley did not want the world to rush to "meet its maker." That is, its possible that life, as we know it, may cease to exist. Fossil records support an entirely different "prehistoric era", at least.

Chad 

PS- the questions might be better left for the end of the book- if anyone else is reading?

Message Edited by chad on 03-12-2008 01:12 PM
Frequent Contributor
alfprof212
0 Kudos

Re: Frankenstein: Beginning at the end

I think as a Romantic era writer, Shelley would have leaned toward the optimistic side, but you're right in that this could be a controversial subject.  I hope so, at least.  :smileyhappy: 

Thanks for the advice about the questions...I'm trying very hard not to give away too much information, though.  I think it might be important for some readers to know that they're beginning at the end so it will make sense if they're reading for the first time.  Of course there are some readers who will figure it out very quickly, but just in case...

Thanks again for your participation, chad!
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 35 members 636 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: