Frequent Contributor
alfprof212
0 Kudos

Frankenstein and Romanticism

Just some information that might give some insight while reading the novel:

Frankenstein was published in 1818 at the height of the Romantic Movement.  This movement in art and literature was based in part on the feeling of optimism about human possibilities.  Romantic writers and artists believed in the importance of the individual; they also believed strongly in subjectivity, imagination, and the expression of emotions over rational thought.  The typical romantic hero is passionate, uninhibited, and unconventional.  Often the hero is an artist who is a social rebel or a melancholoy outcast from society.

Shelley's novel poses profound questions about science.  Her readers at the time found these issues fascinating since the 1800s were a time of startling breakthroughs in science and technology and a growing faith in the power of science to improve human life.

(source: Glencoe Literature Library)
Frequent Contributor
chad
0 Kudos

Frankenstein forever!

[ Edited ]
Well, I don't know why we're telling each other to read the book in English classes across the country, but I liked "Franknestein" for thematic reasons. Perhaps most memorable- how the human and his language evolved, by degrees, from a common point of origin. And, truth and the real meaning or words are where words began, where we began, where the natural sounds of our bodies and surrroundings, or, the sounds of Nature were the actual words themslves. There is a famous word for it called, onomatopeia.

But also how. if we wish to know the truth, or that is, seek our origins, how we often "hit" moments in history where the world was amalgamated under a common language, like Latin during the rule of Rome, for example. And also how there still is an east/west split to the world, perhaps due to the difference in the evolutions of language, which makes me wonder if we actually have a positive balance, not a negative split, to our current world order.

So, these things I liked about "Frankenstein", I'm not sure anyone felt like reading it in this forum either. But If you're a lit professor, I imagine you wonder why assign books to read at all. Sometimes I feel people do play games with them, but I liked reading because they were just "different."

Best,
Chad

Message Edited by chad on 03-13-2008 12:40 PM
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online:41 members 339 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: