Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Ilana : Can you flag Cranford & Shakespeare?

The Cranford thread in particular seems to be getting lost in the melee. Can you flag it on the main board as Fanuzzir has done with Moby Dick? And likewise whatever Shakespeare we decided to read? Thanks!
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: Ilana : Can you flag Cranford & Shakespeare?

Cranford should already be flagged, floated to the top. Is it not for you? Tell.
And I'll certainly float Shakespeare when we land on a plan.
Let's hear some input about Cranford. Do people want to push on with the book? If we don't choose to take that road, that's fine. We're just now learning where to place our focus with this board. I sense more energy with Shakespeare than with our light Gaskell romp.

Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.

Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

Here's what we mean, Ilana:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board?board.id=MobyDick&page_of_message_id=29

There needs to be a better way to help people find this link, though.
"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Laurel wrote:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/bn/board?board.id=MobyDick&page_of_message_id=29

Hi.
Just to voice a description of structure here:
There are two types of Classics boards. There are the general British and American Classics boards, which are ranging or open-ended discussion spaces.
In contrast, there are the specialized book clubs, which run for about a month each, and are more structured. We just finished the Frankenstein book club in that light, and Moby-Dick is now beginning. I'll be launching another structured book discussion, of Kafka, in the New Year.

The British Classics space is more reader-run than moderator-run. I will certainly offer some structure to the Shakespeare Thread after hearing what course you'd like to take. But do remember that this general British Classics board is a more free-ranging space than the specific book discussions are.

So...we can take on Shakespeare. and will. but maybe not with the one-month ardor of Moby-Dick
Ilana

Ilana

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Yes, thanks Laurel - we need the same set-up for the British classics when they are being discussed Ilana:smileyhappy:

Laurel wrote:

Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Specific books will get structured discussion, as we did with Frankenstein and will will do again with Kafka (tho K's not a brit, he's a classic, and will come under the Classics umbrella).

Ilana

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

IlanaSimons wrote:

Laurel wrote:

Hi.
There are two types of Classics boards. There are the general British and American Classics boards, which are ranging or open-ended discussion spaces.
In contrast, there are the specialized book clubs, which run for about a month each, and are more structured. We just finished the Frankenstein book club in that light, and Moby-Dick is now beginning. I'll be launching another structured book discussion, of Kafka, in the New Year.

The British Classics space is more reader-run than moderator-run. I will certainly offer some structure to the Shakespeare Thread after hearing what course you'd like to take. But do remember that this general British Classics board is a more free-ranging space than the specific book discussions are.

So...we can take on Shakespeare. and will. but maybe not with the one-month ardor of Moby-Dick
Ilana

Ilana: I believe that Moby Dick has also come about as part of a 'free ranging discussion' but Bob Fanuzzir decided to structure it and flag it because we were asking for that. The open-ended discussions are not proving popular and they soon fizzle out:smileysad:
Scribe
Laurel
0 Kudos

We have to be careful not to run Ilana ragged! I'm sure as we work through this we can come up with a good compromise that will keep many (I don't say all) people happy.

Choisya wrote:

IlanaSimons wrote:

Laurel wrote:

Hi.

Ilana

Ilana: I believe that Moby Dick has also come about as part of a 'free ranging discussion' but Bob Fanuzzir decided to structure it and flag it because we were asking for that. The open-ended discussions are not proving popular and they soon fizzle out:smileysad:

"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

IlanaSimons wrote:
Specific books will get structured discussion, as we did with Frankenstein and will will do again with Kafka (tho K's not a brit, he's a classic, and will come under the Classics umbrella).

How is this decided Ilana - which books get 'structured discussion'? Moby Dick wasn't put up by B&N for this, I believe it was the reader's choice which Fanuzzir 'lobbied' for? IMO if book threads aren't structured and Moderated, they will not 'take off' and they will become like dozens of other book 'discussions' on the internet - worthless. But then again, I guess you are only paid to moderate so many books a month/quarter so we cannot expect you to moderate for free:smileysad:
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

shakesp. on his own

I think Choisya has a point. IMHO Shakespeare will need his own 'hotel' that can house both free talk or structured lessons. Ongoing it must be. This forum is so wretched so we need to pump up the features that are useful in the best possible way. Complaints about S. were that there was not enough time.

You said it yourself, Ilana: melee...that is what it amounts to chaos. Fanuzzir can tell you. A superficial chaos is not a working condition. We are BN spoiled quality readers with demands!!! heheh

Ilana you tell BN what seems to be needed and they'll do that. Why wouldn't they?

ziki
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

What has Moby Dick in common with Shakespeare?

yes, Moby Dick floated up as a result of the free style discussions-creative chaos..other books are taxing...but Moby is taking off first.

Here it seems that Shakespeare needs his own ongoing 'globe-place'and he deserves it.

ziki
lobying LOL (don't I have anything else to do?)
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Laurel wrote:
We have to be careful not to run Ilana ragged! I'm sure as we work through this we can come up with a good compromise that will keep many (I don't say all) people happy.

Yes I am concerned about that too Laurel. As I wrote elsewhere, I assume that she only gets paid to moderate so many books a month/quarter in this new set-up. Indeed I wonder if Bob is being paid to moderate Moby Dick at our request?? This brings me back to the need for a voting system so that the books which are discussed have a degree of popular consensus behind them and are therefore more likely to 'take off'.
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Re: What has Moby Dick in common with Shakespeare?

[ Edited ]
Here's how the process goes:

The general Classics Boards are for brainstorming and discussion. I.e., "How do you think absurdism relates to Realism?" and "Who should I read up for my term paper on Woolf and Feminism?" etc. This Board is also a place for readers to launch any longer discussions they want.

The single, structured book discussions like Frankenstein and Moby Dick WILL emerge from discussions here.

Bob and I can only, ourselves, lead so much at a time. So: each month or so, one of us launches a separate book discussion. I started with Frankenstein. Now he's got Moby Dick. Then I do Kafka in January. He'll also be doing The Jungle then, I think.

The books we choose will indeed reflect whatever's said on the general Classics boards.

SO: Maybe Shakespeare will emerge as a separate club. give us time.

Ilana

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 12-09-200603:51 PM

Ilana

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: shakesp. on his own

'We are BN spoiled quality readers with demands!!! heheh' LOL Ziki - you are so right!

Yes, the complaints about reading Shakespeare on the old BNU boards were that there was not enough time but even though we now have this open ended structure, which is better for old William, if we do not have some guidance discussions will quickly deteriorate into a 'melee'. It will also make it more difficult for new readers. Nor do I believe that any one reader who is well-read in Shakespeare, will be able to 'hold court' well enough to satisfy folks. Moderating is a high art form on these boards!

ziki wrote:
I think Choisya has a point. IMHO Shakespeare will need his own 'hotel' that can house both free talk or structured lessons. Ongoing it must be. This forum is so wretched so we need to pump up the features that are useful in the best possible way. Complaints about S. were that there was not enough time.

You said it yourself, Ilana: melee...that is what it amounts to chaos. Fanuzzir can tell you. A superficial chaos is not a working condition. We are BN spoiled quality readers with demands!!! heheh

Ilana you tell BN what seems to be needed and they'll do that. Why wouldn't they?

ziki

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

IlanaSimons wrote:

The general Classics Boards are for brainstorming and discussion. I.e., "How do you think absurdism relates to Realism?" and "Who should I read up for my term paper on Woolf and Feminism?" etc. This Board is also a place for readers to launch any longer discussions they want.

The single, structured book discussions like Frankenstein and Moby Dick WILL emerge from discussions here.

Bob and I can only, ourselves, lead so much at a time. So: each month or so, one of us launches a separate book discussion. I started with Frankenstein. Now he's got Moby Dick. Then I do Kafka in January. He'll also be doing The Jungle then, I think.

The books we choose will indeed reflect whatever's said on the general Classics boards.

Ilana

Thanks a lot Ilana - that is helpful. However, note that your excellent input on Absurdism did not take off and that only discussions structured and led by Moderators (or with Authors present) have done so. There are dozens of other places on the internet where readers can go on ad infinitum about what they like or dislike about a book/author. This is not meaningful discussion, which is what the B&N boards have been so good at. We love our Moderators!
Blogger
IlanaSimons
0 Kudos

Ah, but Choisya I only just now wrote a post in the Absurdism section, which specifically begged for your input. come give it?

Choisya wrote:

IlanaSimons wrote:

Ilana

Thanks a lot Ilana - that is helpful. However, note that your excellent input on Absurdism did not take off and that only discussions structured and led by Moderators (or with Authors present) have done so. There are dozens of other places on the internet where readers can go on ad infinitum about what they like or dislike about a book/author. This is not meaningful discussion, which is what the B&N boards have been so good at. We love our Moderators!

Ilana

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

IlanaSimons wrote:
Ah, but Choisya I only just now wrote a post in the Absurdism section, which specifically begged for your input. come give it?

I often get nervous about posting too often as folks think I write too much:smileysad::smileysad: It is only that I lead quite a lonely life, especially in the winter, and it is a way of finding 'company' other than my cats, who aren't very much into the classics:smileyhappy::smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: shakesp. on his own

[ Edited ]
You are right. A potential 'Bill compartment'has to be set up smartly. Perhaps a focus on the particular piece of work to read is best. Then both newbies and more advanced readers can contribute according to their ability and we can learn from each other. But the guidance in form of questions and topics is necessary.

How many times do we need to point that out? I guess if we keep repeating it ad nauseam maybe it will finally be heard by the B&N kings.

There can be free threads and there can be stuctured ones, it's just impossible to have the "Jewish school" going on at all times.

ziki
stil on it :-)

Message Edited by ziki on 12-10-200611:46 AM

Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

same interests

Choisya wrote:

It is only that I lead quite a lonely life, especially in the winter, and it is a way of finding 'company' other than my cats, who aren't very much into the classics:smileyhappy::smileyhappy:

----------

One way or the other for different reasons this is the case for many people. While it can be difficult to find someone in your near geographical surrounding who has the same interests it is easier on the net where you can have a 'global circle'. Moreover, you can stay at home and do not need to take cars, busses, subways and trains plus airplanes to get to the same location as others (if they even exist) and thus you have an interesting ongoing discussion right by your own fireplace.

I guess this is why I am so reluctant to quit this forum easily and I dedicated almost three hundred posts so far to the case at hand. I refused to see myself as defeated by the 'higher BN power' and I hope for improvements that need to be many (and soon) in order to save the once winning site and nice community that was simply 'destroyed'.

ziki
see the phoenix bird rising
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: same interests

Good for your Ziki and I think our persistence has paid off because we have seen several of the Moderators introduce structure to the once unstructured boards and the techie people have also made improvements along the lines suggested by readers.

ziki wrote:
Choisya wrote:

It is only that I lead quite a lonely life, especially in the winter, and it is a way of finding 'company' other than my cats, who aren't very much into the classics:smileyhappy::smileyhappy:

----------

One way or the other for different reasons this is the case for many people. While it can be difficult to find someone in your near geographical surrounding who has the same interests it is easier on the net where you can have a 'global circle'. Moreover, you can stay at home and do not need to take cars, busses, subways and trains plus airplanes to get to the same location as others (if they even exist) and thus you have an interesting ongoing discussion right by your own fireplace.

I guess this is why I am so reluctant to quit this forum easily and I dedicated almost three hundred posts so far to the case at hand. I refused to see myself as defeated by the 'higher BN power' and I hope for improvements that need to be many (and soon) in order to save the once winning site and nice community that was simply 'destroyed'.

ziki
see the phoenix bird rising

Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 24 members 219 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: