Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: shakesp. on his own

ziki wrote:
You are right. A potential 'Bill compartment'has to be set up smartly. Perhaps a focus on the particular piece of work to read is best. Then both newbies and more advanced readers can contribute according to their ability and we can learn from each other. But the guidance in form of questions and topics is necessary.

How many times do we need to point that out? I guess if we keep repeating it ad nauseam maybe it will finally be heard by the B&N kings.

There can be free threads and there can be stuctured ones, it's just impossible to have the "Jewish school" going on at all times.

ziki
stil on it :-)

Message Edited by ziki on 12-10-200611:46 AM

LOL Ziki - you certainly are on the case! But what does 'Jewish school' mean? Do you mean 'rabbinical'?
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos

jewish school

[ Edited ]
meaning if I got it right: "everybody talking at the same time about anything" :-)

ziki

Message Edited by ziki on 12-10-200608:39 PM

Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Re: Ilana : Can you flag Cranford & Shakespeare?

Not only that, if you start too many discussions at once, you'll lose participants because everyone (like me) can't read all of the books at once. I don't even know if I haven't read Twelfth Night and I don't know if I own it amongst my Shakespeare works. I do a lot of my reading while relaxing at home or riding the bus and online reading is not an option.

Denise
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Re: What has Moby Dick in common with Shakespeare?

Cats are not very discriminating when it comes to books. They like to lay on top of whatevery you are trying to read, or they rub their faces on the corners of the book making it difficult for you to focus on the words. But they seem to show know preference for whether it is a classic or trash.

Denise
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

donyskiw wrote:
Cats are not very discriminating when it comes to books. They like to lay on top of whatevery you are trying to read, or they rub their faces on the corners of the book making it difficult for you to focus on the words. But they seem to show know preference for whether it is a classic or trash.

Denise

My cats are fairly tolerant of books but they think that all newspapers are for jumping upon to make as much noise as possible! My big tabby cat makes an excellent bookrest when I read in bed and as Moby Dick is quite large paperback, I am finding her useful at the moment:smileyhappy:
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

donyskiw wrote:
Not only that, if you start too many discussions at once, you'll lose participants because everyone (like me) can't read all of the books at once. I don't even know if I haven't read Twelfth Night and I don't know if I own it amongst my Shakespeare works. I do a lot of my reading while relaxing at home or riding the bus and online reading is not an option.

Denise

I think we should treat these book clubs rather like fine food or wine - a little goes a long way:smileyhappy: Too much and you are likely to get indigestion:smileysad:
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

I have only one at this time (I miss the sharing photos feature of the old BNU - I remember the lovely photos you shared and I have some of mine) but books to him are what distract me from feeding him!

Denise
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

I agree, Choisya. Particularly with the classics. They are like fine food and wine. I prefer to savor them. The mind candy which I occassionally read can be devoured quickly but I never want to bother discussion those.

Denise
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

Re: (Off topic) Photo Sharing

donyskiw wrote:
I have only one at this time (I miss the sharing photos feature of the old BNU - I remember the lovely photos you shared and I have some of mine) but books to him are what distract me from feeding him!

Denise

Yes, I miss the photo sharing too. I have asked the B&N techie people to try to get it back for us. Shouldn't we be posting all this in the Community Room?
Frequent Contributor
donyskiw
0 Kudos

Re: (Off topic) Photo Sharing

You're right. To the Community Room with us.

Denise
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 4 members 1,198 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: