Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
Vicesquad65
0 Kudos

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

I just recently finished this book and I found the end a bit disappointing. I was wondering if anyone else had read this book and what they thought of it, not only the ending, but the book as a whole.
Inspired Contributor
katknit
0 Kudos

Re: Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

I read it a while back. Had trouble getting into it and thought it was way too long. With proper editing it would have been better.
No two persons ever read the same book. [Edmund Wilson]
Reader 2
Vicesquad65
0 Kudos

i agree, it was difficult to get into this book, but once into it i found it pretty interesting....but long. very long.
Frequent Contributor
Kourt
0 Kudos

I read this book when it first came out. I thought it was interesting but after awhile the footnotes were rather annoying. The paper that the book was printed on was a little to thin for my taste also. But the story was good.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Kourt wrote:
I read this book when it first came out. I thought it was interesting but after awhile the footnotes were rather annoying. The paper that the book was printed on was a little to thin for my taste also. But the story was good.

I believe that book was read on Barnes and Noble, maybe the university before the invention of the bookclubs. I didn't read it but alot of people read it with the author.
Reader 2
Vicesquad65
0 Kudos

cool, i too found the footnotes a bit.....not really sure what to say about that actually. it was odd, and somewhat distracting, i think the footnotes could have been their own story all together
Frequent Contributor
Quack
0 Kudos

Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell frustrated me a lot. In my opinion, there were some wonderful ideas stuck in the middle of a ton of excess boring and unnecessary writing. I know that the author is an editor. Maybe she believed she didn't need a lot of editing by anyone else. Frankly, she was wrong. I'll be interested to see her next work. She has the potential to be great.
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I am a very fast reader but I must admit it took me ages to finish this book because I could only take so much at a time. It was very good -- it really sucked me in, but parts of it were so heavy, atmospheric and depressing that I couldn't stay in that world for any extended periods of time. I was glad I read it, glad I stuck to it and finished it, but it wasn't one of my favorites, either. I read a couple other books with a magical theme that I preferred, including The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon.
New User
jane_austentatious
0 Kudos

I really enjoyed this book (it has been a few years since I first read it). I felt like if Charles Dickens wrote fantasy - then this book would be the result... Everyone has different taste of course - this one just happened to suit mine!:smileyhappy:
Contributor
bellsofireland
0 Kudos

I agree with most of you that it was interesting, but with a lot of slow sections and annoying footnotes.

However, it was worth reading just for that scene where Jonathan Strange makes a tincture to render himself insane in order to see fairies. I laughed uproariously when he found himself wanting to blow out the candles in peoples' heads and had to muffle his laugher in his pillows. And moreso when, the next day, he couldn't remember if people had candles in their heads or not, and eventually decided that they did not, and it didn't matter anyway since it was not relevant to his present undertaking.

I also enjoyed the fairy's blindly enthusiastic attitude toward Stephen. It was odd to find these pieces of humor in a book that was dry in so many places.
There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all. ~Oscar Wilde
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 41 members 858 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: