Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Frenchygirl1
0 Kudos

Re: Let's start our own French reading room!

thinker wrote:
Hi Frenchygirl

I think the idea is ok, i see you asked for a few suggestions, well immediately Georges Simenon came to mind remember Inspector Maigret and I also enjoyed his book Act of Passion.
Alexandre Dumas and Victor Hugo are also pretty good choises.
I'm for the Madame Bovary also.

Thank you, thinker, for your suggestions. I have not heard of this author. I will have to put him on my list too! :smileyhappy:

It would seem like we are decided on our first book discussion to be Madame Bovary, though.
I think we have 5 readers so far. (I hope I'm not overstepping anyone).:smileyhappy:
********************************************************************************************
I've been doing a lot of thinking today.Firstly I propose that we'll need the same edition.Each ed (I have 2)
seems to be segmented differently.I have The Penguin Classics edition with biographer Geoffrey Wall as translator,
which I like very much (because itis segmented clearly and easily). It is separated into 3 Parts (Part I 9 chps,
Part II 15 chps, and Part III 11 chps).

I propose we start our first discussion on Friday Oct 19th of the entire first Part (or perhaps could break
that down even further to 5, 4 chpts at a time). Then Part II can be broken into 3 sep days (5 chps each),
and then Part III could be (5, and 6)? If we follow this structure, every week, we'd be finished around Nov
23rd(or Nov 30th, at latest).:smileyhappy: Unless anyone thinks we should do more than average 5 chps a week?

Secondly, I propose that each of us will be responsible for a certain *extra* topical discussion (maybe this
could be introduced in advance (i.e at the beginning of the week we are to have our discussions). Some topics
might include:

*Intros/ Meet the group (other discussions seem to do this successfully)
*Flaubert's Life and Times (about the author)
*Inspiration
*Adultery vs social mores of provincial french life
*Moral outcry and/or the trial of Flaubert
*correspondences of the author
*Lit circle (?)
*Literary Realism and M Bovary
*From Page to Screen (title borrowed from another thread):smileyhappy:
*M Bovary and other media (?)
*A Look at French Provincial Life
*Author's Quotes
*Issues of Censorship in literature (compare then and now)
What do you think? I really need your feedback? Does this sound like a fun discussion?
Also let me know about the proposed schedule (first topical area of interest posted Oct 15,
first discussion of 5 chps on Friday Oct 19th, and so on...)
Oct 19th
Oct 26th
Nov 2nd
Nov 9th
Nov 16th
Nov 23rd
Nov 30th (latest)

And do you like the idea of introducing an area of topical interest at the start of the week
(up for discussion) and then discussing those chps on Friday (end of that week as full participation)?
Maybe those topical could be more specific to the chps we're reading (instead of so general), or maybe
a happy medium could be found?

frenchygirl!
APen, what do you think about putting up a short synopsis about the book so that we can help get
more interest (since you're our PR girl :smileywink:!) This could be done under each location? Do you think
it's a good idea? Pls everyone, need your feedback- so,what say you? :smileywink::smileyhappy:
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

I like your ideas about everyone contributing extra info about the author/book. I think that will aid in understanding it more fully. The discussion schedule sounds good to me! I'll definitely post something about Madame Bovary in the community room/fiction general discussion board. :smileyhappy:
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
0 Kudos

I'm with you Frenchygirl. A number of us have asked for a European Literature category to no avail:smileysad:. I don't hold out much hope though considering that the once very popular British Classics bookclub has gone into decline. I think there are too many categories and too few readers:smileysad:.

As well as Madame Bovary, I would like to suggest anything from Zola's Rougon Macquart cycle.

Frenchygirl1 wrote:
Hey everyone! I have been browsing the book categories and have noticed that some major book categories are neglected-- including one for French Literature. :smileysad: I am hoping to change this, but to do so, I will need your help. I would love to demonstrate to administration that there are many of you out there who would benefit from the addition of a French sub-section to the book discussion forums.

I would love to start our own French reading room, right here. Anyone interested? Hopefully we'll outgrow this location (and be forced into a new location :smileywink:). I have a particular book I'd like to suggest first-- Madame Bovary--and would also like suggestions for future French novels. In order to get this off the ground, I just need enough of you interested in reading (or re-reading as it may be) Madame Bovary and to set a date for our discussion. Any ideas?

Remember, I need your help in order to get this category added!
merci!:smileyhappy:
frenchygirl1

Frequent Contributor
thinker
0 Kudos

Hi Frenchygirl reading Madame Bovary right now, i'm on chap 3, my copy is a translation by Eleanor Marx-Aveling its an electronic version and is segmented in the same format you described. i like your breakdown for the discussion, i'm interested in finding out more about the author, think i'll do some research on that keep me abreast with whats happening, i'll forward some info on Georges Simenon, he's quite an interesting author, and his mysteries are quite good (well thats if you love mysteries) especially the Inspector Maigret series thinker
Thinker
Frequent Contributor
thinker
0 Kudos

Here’s a briefing on Georges Simenon

born on February 13, 1903 at 26 rue Léopold in Liège

first novel, Au Pont des Arches June 1919

published more than 800 humorous pieces between 1919 and 1922

wrote the first of his 75 novels and 28 short stories on Inspector Maigret, Detective in 1930 the last was Maigret et M. Charles, in 1972 same year ended his career

died on September 4, 1989 in Lausanne.

Books by Simenon
The Crime at Lock 14
The Yellow Dog
Act of Passion
Tropic Moon
The Hotel Majestic
Inspector Cadaver
Three Bedrooms in Manhattan
The Man on the Boulevard
Thinker
Frequent Contributor
Frenchygirl1
0 Kudos

Cool. Hopefully everyone else does too?

frenchygirl1
Frequent Contributor
Frenchygirl1
0 Kudos

thinker wrote:
Hi Frenchygirl reading Madame Bovary right now, i'm on chap 3, my copy is a translation by Eleanor Marx-Aveling its an electronic version and is segmented in the same format you described. i like your breakdown for the discussion, i'm interested in finding out more about the author, think i'll do some research on that keep me abreast with whats happening, i'll forward some info on Georges Simenon, he's quite an interesting author, and his mysteries are quite good (well thats if you love mysteries) especially the Inspector Maigret series thinker

I'm glad you've already started thinker and that you found a comparable edition. Hope you're liking it so far! Now we've all got to get on it!

frenchygirl1
Frequent Contributor
Frenchygirl1
0 Kudos

Choisya wrote:
I'm with you Frenchygirl. A number of us have asked for a European Literature category to no avail:smileysad:. I don't hold out much hope though considering that the once very popular British Classics bookclub has gone into decline. I think there are too many categories and too few readers:smileysad:.

As well as Madame Bovary, I would like to suggest anything from Zola's Rougon Macquart cycle

Choisya-

I haven't heard of this this cycle at all--but I do want to read Zola's Germinal. What is the cycle about? Hope you will be able to read our first selection of M Bovary with us?:smileyhappy:

Thanks!
frenchygirl1
Frequent Contributor
Frenchygirl1
0 Kudos

Ok everyone, this is just a reminder, that we are gearing up for our first discussion Oct 19th (please stop by on the 15th to read an interesting tid-bit about the book). I have started the book, though so far, haven't made much progress (due to life).:smileyhappy:

Does anybody have suggestions on how we will lead the discussion? I am hoping that we can get someone to get a synopsis up on this thread (and the other threads) to garner more interest in the book. APen, are you still planning on doing this? It looks like I'll probably be the first one to post about the author and his life and possible inspiration on the 15th.

Hope you will join us, first on the 15th (for trivia and or facts about the author) and then on the 19th for official discussion of the first part of Madame Bovary.

Enjoy!
frenchygirl1
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
0 Kudos

Hey, everyone! I posted a short synopsis as part of the original threads I started in the community room and on the fictional general discussion board, along with the starting dates of the discussion. Hopefully some more people will join the conversation...
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
Frenchygirl1
0 Kudos

Yeah APen! You're awesome. Thanks!:smileyhappy:

frenchygirl1
Frequent Contributor
Frenchygirl1
0 Kudos

My apologies to anyone who stopped by to check the author's tidbits. I have been working pretty much straight for 3 days.:smileyhappy: Anyway, I'm on it and something should be posted before noon tomorrow.

We are still on for our first discussion for Friday!
frenchygirl1
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
0 Kudos

Frenchygirl1 wrote:
Hey everyone! I have been browsing the book categories and have noticed that some major book categories are neglected-- including one for French Literature. :smileysad: I am hoping to change this, but to do so, I will need your help. I would love to demonstrate to administration that there are many of you out there who would benefit from the addition of a French sub-section to the book discussion forums.

I would love to start our own French reading room, right here. Anyone interested? Hopefully we'll outgrow this location (and be forced into a new location :smileywink:). I have a particular book I'd like to suggest first-- Madame Bovary--and would also like suggestions for future French novels. In order to get this off the ground, I just need enough of you interested in reading (or re-reading as it may be) Madame Bovary and to set a date for our discussion. Any ideas?

Remember, I need your help in order to get this category added!
merci!:smileyhappy:
frenchygirl1

Hey Frenchy! As for what I say to read here is Jules Verne! I lvoe his books! Dumas would be awesome too! Hugo would be great! I'm currently reading Les Miserables. Although I am unsure of that could be disscussed here do to it's length.:smileysad: It is an amazing work though!
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
Frenchygirl1
0 Kudos

hey historybuff (I love history too)!:smileyhappy: Anyway, I have to say I've never read Jules Verne, but would like to read something of his. I haven't read a lot of science fiction, either, but mean to start.

I love Dumas- well, The Three Musketeers. I am not opposed to reading it again...or perhaps Man in the Iron Mask, or Queen Margot (this is by him too, no?)

I agree about Hugo. I am also in the process of completing Les Mis. What a gargantuan book. But it is truly a masterpiece! (and amazingly, Hugo is one of my favorite authors...it is somewhat embarrassing to admit I haven't completed his greatest work, imo). Would be with you on discussing this( if I ever get it read).:smileyhappy:

Please stop by for our book discussion of Part I of Madame Bovary (going on now)...and Part II (on Friday 26th).

frenchygirl1
New User
readsalot777
0 Kudos

Bonjour-

Is it possible to join your group? I am a fan of Flaubert, Zola, Sue and whatever others I can find. I have not read any current French authors (French isn't good enough.)

I also love biographies of individuals in French history.

Let me know if joining you is a possibility.

Thanks, readsalot777
New User
ajmarkle
0 Kudos

Salut!

This was a great idea, thanks to all of you who got the French reading group going! I don't think I can extricate myself from my current reading list quickly enough to join in the Madame Bovary discussion (though I think it's a wonderful book!), but I'd love to join in on some future topics! Does anyone know what work you'll choose next? Are you reading the texts in French or English? (I'd be pretty impressed if everyone were reading Flaubert and Hugo dans la langue maternelle!) I'd like to throw a recommendation into the circle - Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme, by Moliere. It's a play, quite funny, allegorical at times, and pretty accessible in the French for those of moderate fluency.
Frequent Contributor
CanTri
0 Kudos

I just found this thread and think it would be an awesome idea. Personally I like Albert Camus, as well as a number of other ones that have already been suggested. If you want to read something contemporary check out Gils Courtemanche. He's a Quebec author and I find he writes very lyrically.

Someone else also suggested a general European Reading Room/Thread. I'd definitely participate in that. For now I think I'm going to try and pop into some of the other groups that are going on that could kind of fit into that category.

My goal for this year is to read more classic literature that I've never gotten around to reading. And more French, in the original language.
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
Users Online
Currently online: 9 members 690 guests
Recent signins:
Please welcome our newest community members: