Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Blogger
IlanaSimons
Posts: 2,223
Registered: ‎10-20-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Ilana: Your oil paintings!



Choisya wrote:
I have just found your website - did you really paint those portraits of authors? And have you done any of the authors we have discussed on these boards - Gaskell, Hawthorne, Melville, Kafka???

http://homepage.newschool.edu/~ilana/

Message Edited by Choisya on 01-26-200705:01 AM






thanks for that, Choisya and Elee. I did one kafka painting, but no Gaskell or the others you mention. I'm only starting to appreciate Gaskell--so I would soon love to try to paint her. Haven't painted in a couple years, because I'been trying' to write so much!



Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.


Scribe
Laurel
Posts: 5,747
Registered: ‎10-29-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Ilana: Your oil paintings!

Super impressive, Ilana! Thanks, Choisya.



Choisya wrote:
I have just found your website - did you really paint those portraits of authors? And have you done any of the authors we have discussed on these boards - Gaskell, Hawthorne, Melville, Kafka???

http://homepage.newschool.edu/~ilana/

Message Edited by Choisya on 01-26-200705:01 AM




"Truth must of necessity be stranger than fiction, for fiction is the creation of the human mind, and therefore is congenial to it." ~~G.K. Chesterton
Inspired Wordsmith
chadadanielleKR
Posts: 368
Registered: ‎10-29-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Plans for March 2007 Discussion of UTOPIA and SparkNotes Links



pmath wrote:
I'll start a thread in the middle of March. Here are some links, in case anyone would like to start reading in advance:

Text:
http://pd.sparknotes.com/philosophy/utopia/

Study Guide:
http://www.sparknotes.com/philosophy/utopia/

Thomas More:
http://www.sparknotes.com/philosophy/more/



IlanaSimons wrote (here):
It's short and doable (on the lame side of the "why"s)--and More's had a tremendous influence on British literary history.

pmath wrote:
Since it's a relatively short book, we could discuss Utopia for two weeks, from March 19 through April 1.

IlanaSimons wrote:
That sounds great.

pmath wrote:
Why don't we discuss Utopia, as Choisya suggested (back in December), in March/April?


Message Edited by pmath on 01-26-200709:10 AM






Thank you for all these useful references. I think I'll give it a try. You are making the reading so easy for us...How can we resist?
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
Posts: 2,344
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Ilana: Your oil paintings!

Ilana, your oil paintings are terrific. Hope you answer the painting muse and add to your collection.
Liz ♥ ♥


Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 1,101
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

For Danielle: Reading UTOPIA and Links to Different Editions

Great! Perhaps you'd also prefer to read a French translation instead of an English one. I've only read Utopia once, so I'm looking forward to learning along with all of you.

Here are some links for those who'd like to purchase a copy of the book:

B&N Classics hardcover edition:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?EAN=9781593083694

B&N Classics paperback edition:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/BookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?EAN=9781593082444

Penguin Classics edition:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?EAN=9780140449105

Norton Critical Edition:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/BookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?EAN=9780393961454

chadadanielleKR wrote:
Thank you for all these useful references. I think I'll give it a try. You are making the reading so easy for us...How can we resist?

pmath wrote:
I'll start a thread in the middle of March. Here are some links, in case anyone would like to start reading in advance:

Text:
http://pd.sparknotes.com/philosophy/utopia/

Study Guide:
http://www.sparknotes.com/philosophy/utopia/

Thomas More:
http://www.sparknotes.com/philosophy/more/

pmath wrote:
Since it's a relatively short book, we could discuss Utopia for two weeks, from March 19 through April 1.
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: For Danielle: Reading UTOPIA and Links to Different Editions

Thanks for all that info pmath - you are doing a sterling job! I have an old Penguin edition somewhere so shall use that.




pmath wrote:
Great! Perhaps you'd also prefer to read a French translation instead of an English one. I've only read Utopia once, so I'm looking forward to learning along with all of you.

Here are some links for those who'd like to purchase a copy of the book:

B&N Classics hardcover edition:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?EAN=9781593083694

B&N Classics paperback edition:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/BookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?EAN=9781593082444

Penguin Classics edition:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?EAN=9780140449105

Norton Critical Edition:
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/BookSearch/isbnInquiry.asp?EAN=9780393961454

chadadanielleKR wrote:
Thank you for all these useful references. I think I'll give it a try. You are making the reading so easy for us...How can we resist?

pmath wrote:
I'll start a thread in the middle of March. Here are some links, in case anyone would like to start reading in advance:

Text:
http://pd.sparknotes.com/philosophy/utopia/

Study Guide:
http://www.sparknotes.com/philosophy/utopia/

Thomas More:
http://www.sparknotes.com/philosophy/more/

pmath wrote:
Since it's a relatively short book, we could discuss Utopia for two weeks, from March 19 through April 1.



Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Ilana: Your oil paintings!

I hope we will inspire you to start again then Ilana - there are too few women in your gallery:smileyvery-happy: The course list is also very inspiring and it is good to know that we have such an expert on the classics to moderate us. Will you be participating at all in Pride & Prejudice or Utopia because I know everyone here will value your contributions?




IlanaSimons wrote:


Choisya wrote:
I have just found your website - did you really paint those portraits of authors? And have you done any of the authors we have discussed on these boards - Gaskell, Hawthorne, Melville, Kafka???

http://homepage.newschool.edu/~ilana/

Message Edited by Choisya on 01-26-200705:01 AM






thanks for that, Choisya and Elee. I did one kafka painting, but no Gaskell or the others you mention. I'm only starting to appreciate Gaskell--so I would soon love to try to paint her. Haven't painted in a couple years, because I'been trying' to write so much!


Blogger
IlanaSimons
Posts: 2,223
Registered: ‎10-20-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Ilana: Your oil paintings!

[ Edited ]
Thanks again for your kind words. I might be able to participate in P&P and Utopia, but I'll also be focusing my attention on the specific Classic books I'm heading up in Feb and March. Feb will be Ford's The Good Soldier, and March might actually be Dostoyevsky's Notes from Underground.
I do tune into the reader-led discussions here, and was inspired by Pmath's job leading--and all of your contributions to--North & South. You guys give this place a great sense of community--I'm learning from you, even when my attention's with other clubs. I appreciate your good work...and thanks again for your kind words about the paintings this week.
Ilana



Choisya wrote:
I hope we will inspire you to start again then Ilana - there are too few women in your gallery:smileyvery-happy: The course list is also very inspiring and it is good to know that we have such an expert on the classics to moderate us. Will you be participating at all in Pride & Prejudice or Utopia because I know everyone here will value your contributions?

Message Edited by IlanaSimons on 01-27-200709:44 AM




Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.


Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
1
1
Users Online
Currently online: 48 members 1,195 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: