Reply
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 1,101
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

More Elizabeth Gaskell

Has everyone had enough of Elizabeth Gaskell, or would some of you be interested in reading Wives and Daughters next, over a six- or eight-week period? Here's a link to the Penguin Classics edition at bn.com, with more information:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?EAN=9780140434781
Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: More Elizabeth Gaskell

I would rather do Mary Barton pmath because it is more of 'a piece' with North & South, even though it was written earlier. I know Wives & Daughters is supposed to be her best novel (even though she died whilst writing it and it is unfinished) It is a lot less controversial than N&S or MB because by then Gaskell had worn herself out, poor dear and was fed up of her critics:smileysad: But I'll go along with the majority.




pmath wrote:
Has everyone had enough of Elizabeth Gaskell, or would some of you be interested in reading Wives and Daughters next, over a six- or eight-week period? Here's a link to the Penguin Classics edition at bn.com, with more information:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?EAN=9780140434781


Frequent Contributor
Posts: 1,101
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

MARY BARTON v. WIVES AND DAUGHTERS

I thought N&S was her masterpiece, but perhaps some readers just prefer W&D! Here's a link to the Penguin Classics edition of Mary Barton at bn.com, with more information:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?EAN=9780140434644


Choisya wrote:
I would rather do Mary Barton pmath because it is more of 'a piece' with North & South, even though it was written earlier. I know Wives & Daughters is supposed to be her best novel (even though she died whilst writing it and it is unfinished) It is a lot less controversial than N&S or MB because by then Gaskell had worn herself out, poor dear and was fed up of her critics:smileysad: But I'll go along with the majority.

pmath wrote:
Has everyone had enough of Elizabeth Gaskell, or would some of you be interested in reading Wives and Daughters next, over a six- or eight-week period? Here's a link to the Penguin Classics edition at bn.com, with more information:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?EAN=9780140434781

Frequent Contributor
Posts: 1,101
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

More on WIVES AND DAUGHTERS

[ Edited ]
BTW, there's also an inexpensive B&N Classics edition of W&D available:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?EAN=9781593082574

and Joe Loewenstein has reviewed W&D for Project Gutenberg:

http://www.gutenberg.org/newsletter/reviews/index.php?article=review13.html


pmath wrote:
Has everyone had enough of Elizabeth Gaskell, or would some of you be interested in reading Wives and Daughters next, over a six- or eight-week period? Here's a link to the Penguin Classics edition at bn.com, with more information:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?EAN=9780140434781

Message Edited by pmath on 01-16-200709:01 PM

New User
phlebslee
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: More Elizabeth Gaskell

Loved W&D, would love to hear what others thought of her great unfinished work. I think the allure of this book is that it is unfinished. It leaves the reader to their own imagination of what good or bad could happen to these characters. How many times have we read a book almost hoping for a different ending? You get to imagine any ending you want with W&D.
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 1,101
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

MARY BARTON at the Royal Exchange

Inspired Contributor
Choisya
Posts: 10,782
Registered: ‎10-26-2006
0 Kudos

Re: MARY BARTON at the Royal Exchange

Sadly no pmath - Manchester is around 300 miles from where I live and it didn't get to London.




pmath wrote:
Choisya, did you get a chance to see this production?

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/entertainment/theatreanddance/s/222/222695_something_right_ab...


Frequent Contributor
Posts: 1,101
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

For Ilana: W&D

Thanks, Ilana: it looks like there are no takers except for Choisya, so perhaps others on the BC board would like a break after all!


IlanaSimons wrote (here):
This week, the discussion of Gaskell's North & South continues, moderated by pmath. This has been a great tour through Elizabeth Gaskell's classic novel. Pmath has just posed the question of moving onto Wives and Daughters, which would be great.

pmath wrote:
Has everyone had enough of Elizabeth Gaskell, or would some of you be interested in reading Wives and Daughters next, over a six- or eight-week period?
Blogger
IlanaSimons
Posts: 2,223
Registered: ‎10-20-2006
0 Kudos

Re: For Ilana: W&D

You're doing a fantastic job with North & South. Maybe after a little break, someone will want to launch a new book discussion. You're having a great run.



pmath wrote:
Thanks, Ilana: it looks like there are no takers except for Choisya, so perhaps others on the BC board would like a break after all!


IlanaSimons wrote (here):
This week, the discussion of Gaskell's North & South continues, moderated by pmath. This has been a great tour through Elizabeth Gaskell's classic novel. Pmath has just posed the question of moving onto Wives and Daughters, which would be great.

pmath wrote:
Has everyone had enough of Elizabeth Gaskell, or would some of you be interested in reading Wives and Daughters next, over a six- or eight-week period?






Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.


Blogger
IlanaSimons
Posts: 2,223
Registered: ‎10-20-2006
0 Kudos

Re: For Ilana: W&D

and, p.s.: my next Classic Book discussion will be Ford Madox Ford's The Good Soldier, starting in February.



IlanaSimons wrote:
You're doing a fantastic job with North & South. Maybe after a little break, someone will want to launch a new book discussion. You're having a great run.



pmath wrote:
Thanks, Ilana: it looks like there are no takers except for Choisya, so perhaps others on the BC board would like a break after all!


IlanaSimons wrote (here):
This week, the discussion of Gaskell's North & South continues, moderated by pmath. This has been a great tour through Elizabeth Gaskell's classic novel. Pmath has just posed the question of moving onto Wives and Daughters, which would be great.

pmath wrote:
Has everyone had enough of Elizabeth Gaskell, or would some of you be interested in reading Wives and Daughters next, over a six- or eight-week period?









Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.


Frequent Contributor
Posts: 1,101
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

For Ilana and Liz: N&S and P&P

Thanks for the kind words, Ilana: we're certainly all having a lot of fun! I'm hoping Liz will want to lead a discussion of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice here sometime: how about it, Liz?


IlanaSimons wrote:
You're doing a fantastic job with North & South. Maybe after a little break, someone will want to launch a new book discussion. You're having a great run.

pmath wrote:
Thanks, Ilana: it looks like there are no takers except for Choisya, so perhaps others on the BC board would like a break after all!

IlanaSimons wrote (here):
This week, the discussion of Gaskell's North & South continues, moderated by pmath. This has been a great tour through Elizabeth Gaskell's classic novel. Pmath has just posed the question of moving onto Wives and Daughters, which would be great.

pmath wrote:
Has everyone had enough of Elizabeth Gaskell, or would some of you be interested in reading Wives and Daughters next, over a six- or eight-week period?


Frequent Contributor
Posts: 1,101
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

For Ilana: Humor in THE GOOD SOLDIER

[ Edited ]
Ilana, I'm really looking forward to this discussion, since I've heard so much about TGS: I understand it's funny, though I can't imagine how, from what I know about the plot!


IlanaSimons wrote:
p.s.: my next Classic Book discussion will be Ford Madox Ford's The Good Soldier, starting in February.

Message Edited by pmath on 01-18-200705:31 PM

Blogger
IlanaSimons
Posts: 2,223
Registered: ‎10-20-2006
0 Kudos

Re: For Ilana: Humor in THE GOOD SOLDIER



pmath wrote:
Ilana, I'm really looking forward to this discussion, since I've heard so much about TGS: I understand it's funny, though I can't imagine how, from what I know about the plot!


IlanaSimons wrote:
p.s.: my next Classic Book discussion will be Ford Madox Ford's The Good Soldier, starting in February.

Message Edited by pmath on 01-18-200705:31 PM






hmmm... I don't feel the funny in The Good Soldier either. I'd love to hear from someone who does.



Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.


Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
Posts: 2,344
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: For Ilana and Liz: N&S and P&P

An interesting & slightly scary idea. I've only been particpating in book clubs for less than a year, and don't know if I could carry it on as well as you & Ilana. But P&P is one of my favorite novels ever. I'll consider it for a future date.



pmath wrote:
Thanks for the kind words, Ilana: we're certainly all having a lot of fun! I'm hoping Liz will want to lead a discussion of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice here sometime: how about it, Liz?
Liz ♥ ♥


Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Blogger
IlanaSimons
Posts: 2,223
Registered: ‎10-20-2006
0 Kudos

Re: For Ilana and Liz: N&S and P&P



LizzieAnn wrote:
An interesting & slightly scary idea. I've only been particpating in book clubs for less than a year, and don't know if I could carry it on as well as you & Ilana. But P&P is one of my favorite novels ever. I'll consider it for a future date.



pmath wrote:
Thanks for the kind words, Ilana: we're certainly all having a lot of fun! I'm hoping Liz will want to lead a discussion of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice here sometime: how about it, Liz?





Neat. Do consider it. I think you'd get a good following...



Ilana
Check out my book, here and visit my website, here.


Frequent Contributor
Posts: 1,101
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

For Liz: P&P

Why scary? You probably put far more effort into your N&S encapsulations than I put into my discussion starters! I agree with Ilana, and just as our beloved Choisya is supporting me, I'd be very happy to support you, too.


IlanaSimons wrote:
Neat. Do consider it. I think you'd get a good following...

LizzieAnn wrote:
An interesting & slightly scary idea. I've only been particpating in book clubs for less than a year, and don't know if I could carry it on as well as you & Ilana. But P&P is one of my favorite novels ever. I'll consider it for a future date.

pmath wrote:
Thanks for the kind words, Ilana: we're certainly all having a lot of fun! I'm hoping Liz will want to lead a discussion of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice here sometime: how about it, Liz?


Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
Posts: 2,344
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Ilana & Pmath - P&P

[ Edited ]
You're both giving me encouragement. I'll definitely seriously consider it. Maybe for the middle of February or the beginning of March. How does that sound?




pmath wrote:
Why scary? You probably put far more effort into your N&S encapsulations than I put into my discussion starters! I agree with Ilana, and just as our beloved Choisya is supporting me, I'd be very happy to support you, too.


IlanaSimons wrote:
Neat. Do consider it. I think you'd get a good following...

LizzieAnn wrote:
An interesting & slightly scary idea. I've only been particpating in book clubs for less than a year, and don't know if I could carry it on as well as you & Ilana. But P&P is one of my favorite novels ever. I'll consider it for a future date.

pmath wrote:
Thanks for the kind words, Ilana: we're certainly all having a lot of fun! I'm hoping Liz will want to lead a discussion of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice here sometime: how about it, Liz?




Message Edited by LizzieAnn on 01-18-200707:44 PM

Liz ♥ ♥


Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 1,101
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

For Liz: P&P in February/March 2007

It sounds great!


LizzieAnn wrote:
You're both giving me encouragement. I'll definitely seriously consider it. Maybe for the middle of February or the beginning of March. How does that sound?

pmath wrote:
Why scary? You probably put far more effort into your N&S encapsulations than I put into my discussion starters! I agree with Ilana, and just as our beloved Choisya is supporting me, I'd be very happy to support you, too.

IlanaSimons wrote:
Neat. Do consider it. I think you'd get a good following...

LizzieAnn wrote:
An interesting & slightly scary idea. I've only been particpating in book clubs for less than a year, and don't know if I could carry it on as well as you & Ilana. But P&P is one of my favorite novels ever. I'll consider it for a future date.

pmath wrote:
Thanks for the kind words, Ilana: we're certainly all having a lot of fun! I'm hoping Liz will want to lead a discussion of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice here sometime: how about it, Liz?




Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
Posts: 2,344
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: For Liz: P&P in February/March 2007

Don't forget your promise to back me up! In a little while, we'll decide on a starting date. Maybe the 12th or 19th of February - in between the two book club starts?



pmath wrote:
It sounds great!

Liz ♥ ♥


Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 1,101
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

For Liz: Plans

I won't forget! The February boards will probably open very soon anyway, so either date should be fine. Here's a link with a list of P&P chapters in both formats, which you might find useful as you make plans:

http://www.austen.com/pride/


LizzieAnn wrote:
Don't forget your promise to back me up! In a little while, we'll decide on a starting date. Maybe the 12th or 19th of February - in between the two book club starts?
Top Kudoed Authors
User Kudos Count
1
1
Users Online
Currently online:106 members 621 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: